PDA

View Full Version : Tau FAQ already up

Subexarch
04-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Title says it all. Gotta be some kinda record.

Houghten
04-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Nah, the Dark Angel one was just as fast. I think they do their proofreading after it comes back from the printers, then go "whoops, better Errata that then."

Uncle Nutsy
04-07-2013, 02:50 PM
awww, i wanted to take dual missile drones for my commander. But four burst cannons is just as good.

DrLove42
04-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Damn I wanted missile drones on my HQ suit. Ah well

Dalleron
04-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Why are people paying so much for something that is not ever proofread at some point in the development cycle. This is just ridiculous for such a big company. Blah blah multiple languages, blah blah model company first and foremost, blah blah give us your money and buy our overpriced stuff blah blah etc etc.

gcsmith
04-08-2013, 02:14 AM
Why are people paying so much for something that is not ever proofread at some point in the development cycle. This is just ridiculous for such a big company. Blah blah multiple languages, blah blah model company first and foremost, blah blah give us your money and buy our overpriced stuff blah blah etc etc.

If people are paying it, it's not overpriced.

Dalleron
04-08-2013, 02:25 AM
Tell that to an Aussie. Also, since I started WHFB 7 years ago, prices have basically doubled while what you actually get has gotten smaller. Doesn't seem right to me.

Mr Mystery
04-08-2013, 05:49 AM
So quit.

Issue solved.

lobster-overlord
04-08-2013, 05:49 AM
Sounds like the Missile drone errata is more of a development afterthought, trying to keep a single unit from being overpowered by limiting their access to that drone. That's legit errata (although still not good). A typo would be poor proofreading, which we've seen them have as well.

OrksOrksOrks
04-08-2013, 05:56 AM
Tell that to an Aussie. Also, since I started WHFB 7 years ago, prices have basically doubled while what you actually get has gotten smaller. Doesn't seem right to me.

Then stop buying it

And of course its proofread, but its hardly a foolproof process, there isn't a book out there that doesn't have errors in the first printing somewhere.

Learn2Eel
04-08-2013, 07:11 AM
I don't think it is fair to just say "stop buying it". Living in Australia myself, the prices are incredibly exorbitant and very hard to justify. That isn't to say we won't pay those prices, but many hobbyists are nonetheless aggrieved - probably justifiably too - about the situation. Thankfully, the new Tau releases sport some of the best deals we've seen since the Necron release. $80 AUD for three Crisis suits in a single box, given that purchasing three individual kits used to cost $123 AUD, is staggering. The new Pathfinder kit is similarly well costed, with thirteen or so models for less than $50 AUD. About the only kit that doesn't measure up is the Broadside at $76 AUD, though that is understandable given it is the size of a Dreadnought and costs the same. It just doesn't seem like the best deal when the doubly huge Riptide is $90 AUD, the same price as a Nemesis Dreadknight. :D

ElectricPaladin
04-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Personally, I think the reaction is outrageous. So, they screwed up a little something in the text... so big deal. We live in an era where information technology takes care of that nicely. They aren't charging for pdfs or printouts of the FAQs.

Now critique about their prices and the way they treat Australians are a lot more fair. That's a genuine barrier to enjoying the hobby. This? It's unfortunate and frustrating, but hardly criminal.

Learn2Eel
04-08-2013, 07:24 AM
I didn't even notice the errors with proof-reading, honestly. Typos don't bother me so long as I can actually make out the point they are trying to get across. Day one erratas are better than no erratas at all, methinks.
I had a similar case with the Dark Angels codex; until I saw all the complaints, I didn't even notice the many typos.

Trekkie
04-08-2013, 09:12 AM
This is one of the reasons I like the e-book version instead of the paper version. You can update the e-book. That and it's a lot lighter, faster to search, stuff like that.

Wish they'd do a combined ebook/paper book though, something nice about a library of books vs. a reading device.

Wildeybeast
04-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Sounds like the Missile drone errata is more of a development afterthought, trying to keep a single unit from being overpowered by limiting their access to that drone. That's legit errata (although still not good). A typo would be poor proofreading, which we've seen them have as well.

Like where they spell the artefact world of Arthas Moloch differently within two consecutive paragraphs?

Trekkie
04-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Like where they spell the artefact world of Arthas Moloch differently within two consecutive paragraphs?

I don't know about GW specifically, but in my experience in an industry with tons of acronyms and weird names (Computer Industry, FCoE anyone?) if you accidentally hit 'add to dictionary' it's hard as heck to go fix it in your dictionary. seeing that they are creating random planets and whatever it's possible someone got tired of seeing the red squigglies in word and hit 'add to dictionary' and then someone else did it on the other spelling and boom, you got an error.

Combine that with how our brain reads things...well...little errors like that are bound to happen. I know of no editing tools that make finding errors like that easier either, especially with made up words.

Not saying it's right, just 'i see how it can happen'. however for $50 you'd like a bit more from them.

Wildeybeast
04-08-2013, 09:54 AM
I don't know about GW specifically, but in my experience in an industry with tons of acronyms and weird names (Computer Industry, FCoE anyone?) if you accidentally hit 'add to dictionary' it's hard as heck to go fix it in your dictionary. seeing that they are creating random planets and whatever it's possible someone got tired of seeing the red squigglies in word and hit 'add to dictionary' and then someone else did it on the other spelling and boom, you got an error.

Combine that with how our brain reads things...well...little errors like that are bound to happen. I know of no editing tools that make finding errors like that easier either, especially with made up words.

Not saying it's right, just 'i see how it can happen'. however for $50 you'd like a bit more from them.

If it's that easy to happen, all the more read to proof-read the thing properly, especially when it is such a glaringly obvious error. TBF, I think there was only this one and one other typo in the whole book which isn't bad going. The number of typos and grammatical errors in WD has decreased significantly since they employed a deputy editor, so they are making steps in the right direction.

OrksOrksOrks
04-08-2013, 10:28 AM
I don't think it is fair to just say "stop buying it". Living in Australia myself, the prices are incredibly exorbitant and very hard to justify. That isn't to say we won't pay those prices, but many hobbyists are nonetheless aggrieved - probably justifiably too - about the situation. Thankfully, the new Tau releases sport some of the best deals we've seen since the Necron release. $80 AUD for three Crisis suits in a single box, given that purchasing three individual kits used to cost $123 AUD, is staggering. The new Pathfinder kit is similarly well costed, with thirteen or so models for less than $50 AUD. About the only kit that doesn't measure up is the Broadside at $76 AUD, though that is understandable given it is the size of a Dreadnought and costs the same. It just doesn't seem like the best deal when the doubly huge Riptide is $90 AUD, the same price as a Nemesis Dreadknight. :D

Everyone in every country complains about the prices, its only too expensive when you can't afford what you want, and in this hobby, everyone wants everything, its not the price that needs an adjustment, its people expectations as to what they get

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-08-2013, 11:02 AM
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3130066a_1.jpg

This guy is totally in Swedish House Mafia!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDboaDrHGbA

apahllo
04-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Digital version of the codex had the astric when it was released Friday at midnight.

Defenestratus
04-08-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm told that the codex authors aren't the ones that layout the print for the book - and that when they send off the content to the layout team, the layout team has to "make things fit" on pages in order to be printed. Sometimes this means chopping off rules and such.

I think what these FAQs are - are clarifications stemming from this "pruning" that takes place just prior to print.

It sounds ridiculous to me too.

Bobofreak
04-16-2013, 06:27 AM
I'm told that the codex authors aren't the ones that layout the print for the book - and that when they send off the content to the layout team, the layout team has to "make things fit" on pages in order to be printed. Sometimes this means chopping off rules and such.

I think what these FAQs are - are clarifications stemming from this "pruning" that takes place just prior to print.

It sounds ridiculous to me too.

I highly doubt the layout team is allowed to remove any rules content. Fluff maybe but I even doubt that. They make the information fit the layout, if they need more room I am sure it easier to add a page then remove content

MajorWesJanson
04-17-2013, 06:49 PM
I highly doubt the layout team is allowed to remove any rules content. Fluff maybe but I even doubt that. They make the information fit the layout, if they need more room I am sure it easier to add a page then remove content

You can't simply add a page to a book. At a minimum, pages are added in sets of four. So changing page length is rarely an option. Removing content or changing the size of certain pieces of art, as well as occasionally reordering words are the most practical methods of getting content to fit into the space allotted.

DarkLink
04-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Yeah, printing isn't as simple as most people think it is. It's not like you can just pull up your word file, click print, set to 10,000 copies, and just let it run.

guitarangry
04-17-2013, 07:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBlpm94l-AU