PDA

View Full Version : Tankbustas vs Godzilla

Sitnam
10-30-2009, 10:34 AM
While I have neither neither Tankbusters nor an opponet with a Godzilla (MC heavy list), I was wondering how effective a large number of tankbustas would do agaisnt MC heavy lists that don't have alot of vehicles (Nidzilla or Daemonzilla). Since glory hogs will not have affect onto their targeting, and due simply to the massive number of rokkits in such a unit, I think it would put a hurtiing on such lists. Orks may have poor BS, but 15 rokkets fired on the move is a real threat.

Thoughts? I proabably will never run such a list, but if I faced a Nidzilla it would be fun to playtest.

Chumbalaya
10-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Still too pricey, too unreliable and too easy to bring down.

Lootas do it better.

Nabterayl
10-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Lootaz have the advantage of range, but from a strict firepower standpoint the tankbustaz win by a long shot. Even assuming you're only facing T5 MCs the tankbustaz have a 9% better chance to land an unsaved wound per ork, which adds up. The trick is, as Chumbalaya says, keeping them alive. I've actually had some success with a similar concept in a fun game by using a looted wagon to reduce the effectiveness of MC close combat, and as an ablative "wound" in the squad that lets me get another round of shooting off even if the wagon is popped.

To be honest though, I prefer rokkit koptaz for this sort of thing. Firepower concentration isn't as dense, but you don't need to actually kill most MCs with rokkit fire. Bring it down to one or two wounds and the boyz will take care of it just fine.

Sitnam
10-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Still too pricey, too unreliable and too easy to bring down.

Lootas do it better.

Same price as Lootas, they dont suffer from glory hogs (And with them you know exactly how many shots every time) and same toughness/armor save. Plus they can take a Nob with a bosspole, lootas cant. And they can fire on the move. I really dont see lootas as superior in this instance. I would prefer them if shooting gaunts or light vehicles, or things of that nature.

And while it would be hard to keep both units alive, I specifically stated for both to be used against Nidzilla/Daemonzilla. Both lists have some effective shooting, but its not like i'm facing pie-plate dropping Guard.

Old_Paladin
10-30-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm with Chumba on this one (for the most part). Lootaz are better for shooting most MC's.
I'd rather get 2 (on average) str:7 shots, than a single str:8 shot.

Now, a smaller unit of bustaz in a truck with some tankhammers... that's a different story. You'll get a good number of attacks at Str:10, and they're more likely to hit then shooting.

Really though, most MC's are going to have a 2+ save so it doesn't matter what you pick (between lootaz and bustaz) they are going to be getting those saves.

Chumbalaya
10-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Same price as Lootas, they dont suffer from glory hogs (And with them you know exactly how many shots every time) and same toughness/armor save. Plus they can take a Nob with a bosspole, lootas cant. And they can fire on the move. I really dont see lootas as superior in this instance. I would prefer them if shooting gaunts or light vehicles, or things of that nature.

And while it would be hard to keep both units alive, I specifically stated for both to be used against Nidzilla/Daemonzilla. Both lists have some effective shooting, but its not like i'm facing pie-plate dropping Guard.

Deffguns have twice the range.

Sitnam
10-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Deffguns have twice the range.

Tankbustas shoot on the move.

Now, a smaller unit of bustaz in a truck with some tankhammers... that's a different story. You'll get a good number of attacks at Str:10, and they're more likely to hit then shooting.
I actually forgot about tank hammers. Great weapons really. The idea of them geared with CC actually makes more sense. Shoot on the move, then get the charge.

Chumbalaya
10-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Tankbustas shoot on the move.

Still twice the range, also outranges everything in the Tyranid army.

Tankbustas do get increased mileage when going up against Tyranids, but Lootas are superior in an all comers format. If we're going to be tailoring lists, why even bother playing? Rock paper scissors takes less time.

Sitnam
10-30-2009, 06:55 PM
[QUOTEStill twice the range, also outranges everything in the Tyranid army.

Tankbustas do get increased mileage when going up against Tyranids, but Lootas are superior in an all comers format. If we're going to be tailoring lists, why even bother playing? Rock paper scissors takes less time.[/QUOTE]

Still shoot on the move for the assault. That doesnt quite match the range issue, but tankhammers and a pk backed up by a large number of standard Ork attacks benefits from the assault move. Although I had forgotten in outranges all Nid (and I think all Daemon) units, so point taken.

The reason to tailor the list is: For fun. Not everybody plays competitively, and if I did I wouldn't take many of the units I like. One of those being Tankbustas. But if it's just you and a buddy playing for fun, why bother making a competitive list. That could get boring playing each others same lists.

Mobious
10-30-2009, 06:59 PM
I would have said more but it seems Wabafet has it covered, so now I am just here for the face time. :D

Just as an added note though, I would never take Tank Bustas over Lootas. One because bustas are only good in the afore mentioned scenario. And two because in my experience Lootas just sit back and rip **** up until a Land Speeder or Hellhound crahes their party. Lol

Purple
11-02-2009, 06:43 PM
volume of fire is generally better than a couple of shots. Dont forget mekz with custom mega blasta can do a bit of damage if it hits