PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angels Veterans and Power of the Machine Spirit

eagleboy7259
10-30-2009, 10:26 AM
I couldn't find anything about this on the GW FAQ for the codex:

1) Dark Angels Company Veteran Squads are a base of 5 models and can purchase up to 5 additional veterans. As part of their special rules they can use combat squads. I know that a unit of 5 cannot be broken down into two squads, but how about a unit of 6 to 9 models? The Special Rule in the Codex for Combat Squads does say that 10 man squads can be broken down into 5 man squads, but its not specific as to whether I can just split the squad in two or if it has to be two 5 man teams. If that is the case, can I take a unit of 9 Company Veterans lead by an independent character and break them into combat squads or does that not count because he isn't really part of the squad under the unit entry?

2) Just making sure I read the FAQ correctly, Company Veterans buy their Storm Shields in addition to any equipment they already have, aka chainsword and bolt pistol. The Storm Shield entry says models will never claim +1 Attack for being armed with two close combat weapons (assumably because the storm shield is meant to take up the other hand) but the Company Vets entry and the FAQ says they can still have the pistol, sword, and shield. I think the FAQ meant they can still get the bonus attack although it did not clearly address this issue.

3) I might just be missing something, POTMS allows me to move the Land Raider even if it suffered Crew Stunned, whereas Extra Armor counts Crew Stunned as Crew Shaken basically allowing me to do the same thing and move the Lannd Raider. Buying Extra Armor for my Land Raider does nothing, right?

jeffersonian000
10-30-2009, 10:53 AM
1) The Combat Squads rule printed on pg 23 of the DA codex specifically states the 10-man squads may Combat Squad, which means that squads of less than 10 may not.

2) Per the rule for Storm Shields on pg 54 of the DA codex, if you take a Storm Shield, you lose any bonus attack gained from having a second single-handed close combat weapon. Period. (Although, in the FAQ, it does address that with opponent permission you can use the current Codex Space Marine version in any wargear which would replace the DA Storm Shield rules with the SM Storm Shield).

3) Per the rule for Power of the Machine Spirit on pg 34, the movement it allows is straight forward only, while Extra Armour would allow normal movement. Also, it should be noted that the DA version of PotMS does not allow a Land Raider to fire a weapon if its moves over 6", yet it may still fire one weapon if Smoke is used as it specifies that one more weapon may be fire than normally would be allowed. The BS is 2 for the extra weapon, unfortunately.

SJ