PDA

View Full Version : Finecast and Superglue, oh how i hate them both.

RGilbert26
04-06-2013, 07:02 AM
Afternoon all, after coming home and looking forward to getting my new Tau together ive just spent the last 50 mins trying to glue the Tau Commander's legs together. Dry fit was perfect and eventually managed to work out how to get both flat pieces of terrain on each foot 'flat' onto the base. Then when I applied superglue I got the angle of the leg with the lower torso off slightly, couldn't manage to get the other leg to fit smoothly and so had to remove the glued down leg. Snapped off a toe and then spent ages gluing, removing and regluing to finally get the bloody thing perfect. Now got a lovely layer of superglue on almost every finger (slowly biting it off trying not to chew off any fingers :P), lower half of model is currently setting and the snapped off toe has been glued back on. Giving myself a break and will then carry on and hopefully no further issues will arise.

What annoys me most is that it's just Finecast (brilliantly cast model I might add) and is really easy to stick together, yet there's always one every now and then that causes so much trouble.

Has anyone else had 'fun' like this?

EDIT:

Just discovered that rubbing finger tips against a brick wall is a great way to remove the superglue, weird.

Magpie
04-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Tips for superglue.

1. only use a little bit, the more you use the worse it sets and bonds
2. use anything but the GW stuff which is quite weak.
3. Isopropyl Alcohol will weaken/remove super glue from most things including your fingers !
4. Put your mini in the freezer for a bit if you want to break the glue. The freezer will weaken it.

eldargal
04-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Finecast does glue very easily and securely. If you want to separate parts do what Magpie says and pop it in the freezer, safest way.

Subexarch
04-06-2013, 08:18 AM
You are not TRULY having super glue issues until you accidentally glue a finger to your face.

RGilbert26
04-06-2013, 09:21 AM
@Subexarch - I'm not that dumb :P

Well the model is now finished and despite my earlier issues it was fun to build. I'm now trying to find something heavy to weigh down the front of the base as he's a little bit back heavy. Annoyingly due to the left arm shoulder pad and the position I wanted the left arm in im not able to reposition the left part of the jet pack properly. If I could position it like the right one then I think it would be almost stable (on my desk he sometimes falls over while on the flat of my computer desk he's fine, weird). Currently the only stuff I have that's heavy is two old GD models (Warhammer ones), seeing if I can use them to weigh the front down.

EDIT: Found a piece of gravel in the garden, washed it and now trying to figure out best way to stick it to front of base, might just use green stuff.

YourSwordisMine
04-06-2013, 10:32 AM
You are not TRULY having super glue issues until you accidentally glue a finger to your face.

OR your entire hand into a fist...

I couldn't open my hand for a week...

Brakkart
04-06-2013, 12:32 PM
If you need to weight a base down I find sticking a coin under it is the best way to do it. I have 1 pence pieces glued underneath most of my plastic figures bases to provide stability, works a treat.

Also you have my sympathies with regards to how tricky Finecast can be, as my first Finecast model was the Techmarine with servo harness (from the box set with the servitors) and it was a bloody nightmare to put together. Still that was easy compared to the legs of my two Contemptor Dreadnoughts... I was inventing new swear words whilst assembling them as the regular ones weren't sufficient for how annoyed I was.

OR your entire hand into a fist...

I couldn't open my hand for a week...

YIKES! :eek:

YourSwordisMine
04-06-2013, 01:16 PM
YIKES! :eek:

It was a bottle of that super thin stuff that Zap makes.... Bottle was faulty, so when I went to glue a piece I was holding... It spilled into my closed fist and seeped into every crack... It set before I even had time to react and open my fist... Was not fun... but, that's my luck...

I also glued my foot to the wooden floor once... just recently...

gcsmith
04-06-2013, 01:30 PM
It was a bottle of that super thin stuff that Zap makes.... Bottle was faulty, so when I went to glue a piece I was holding... It spilled into my closed fist and seeped into every crack... It set before I even had time to react and open my fist... Was not fun... but, that's my luck...

I also glued my foot to the wooden floor once... just recently...

How did you manage to get ur hand open in the end?

YourSwordisMine
04-06-2013, 01:46 PM
How did you manage to get ur hand open in the end?

Time mostly... I could tighten and loosen the muscles in my hand which started to cause cracks in the glue. ice water helped to weaken it so the movements were enough to break it loose. Thumb and Index were the first to break apart, but Middle, Ring and Pinky took most of the week to work unstuck... Had glue residue on my hand for weeks afterward...

I didn't know about Nail Polish Remover at the time...

Luckily I was unemployed at the time...