PDA

View Full Version : Children & WH40K & a Wraithlord

Lost Vyper
04-05-2013, 02:04 PM
In my latest blog entry, i talk about how WH40K can be a family thing...and my new Wraithlord shows his face and something else :)

http://lostvyper.blogspot.fi/

olberon
04-06-2013, 02:46 AM
really goodarticle on the blog there! im a father of 3 kids (by of 6 girl of 4 and a boy of just 1) Warhammer or even gaming plays an important factor in our family life. at sundays we always have a family painting session. i break out my old pots of paint and brushes and have a few hours of quality time with my 2 oldest kids. My son has autismand is really into his own world but when we paint we (wife and me) see that he really likes it. My daughter is the creative one of the bunch and really loves painting. shes the one even picking up the brush when we dont have the family moment. sitting right next to me painting her either her high elves or eldar.

White Tiger88
04-06-2013, 03:11 AM
As much as i know this will anger you parent gamers.....

Keep your kids away from those of us who don't want them pawing at are models. (I have had more kids then i can count break my stuff or start crying when they lose well there parent trys to cheat for em)

*cough*

Anyhow nice that it works for you as a family game.

olberon
04-06-2013, 08:52 AM
@ white tiger: tho i can understand your comment i think you got it bit backwards. let me explain:
(most) gamer children are being brought up with the notion that models from others (parents and/or strangers ) and themselves are pretty fragile and that there is a lot of time and money invested in some models.

Ill take the example of my hobby desk: its located in the middle of our living room and having a small apartment means that even my youngest son has access to my models/paints you name it. He walks past it and doesnt even pay attention to it because he is used to it. My oldest which i take to tournaments on a regular basis always asks before he touches any model of anyone. and always looks at models with hands behind his back.

The kids you are referring to are probably kids dropped off by their parents at your local games store or GW. and dont have a clue about the hobby and time/money it involves.....

My point is gamer kids dont wreck models, its something they are brought up with.............

Eberk
04-06-2013, 02:17 PM
@ white tiger88
clearly you don't have kids yourself ;-)

The way kids interact with models depends on how they are raised. My kids, for example, know that they have to be carefull with things not their own (not only wargame models but everything). And I remind them if I think they are forgetting what I thought them.

So please, don't think every parent is the same...

I myself am a parent and when other kids touch things of mine unasked I also get annoyed.

dirkspair
04-06-2013, 05:04 PM
*you know when you have too much 40k stuff? when your 3 year old child picks up one of your beautifully painted rhinos and you go: eh, it's okay! *

now my boy is 8 and starting to get into gaming (catan, robo rally, super dungeon explore) and he knows how valuable and fragile the things are, the other day he picked up my brass scorpion (old school, made from 2 defilers) after asking permission and the tail snapped off. he started crying and was so sorry, but i knew the bond was weak and it wasn't his fault. but since he grew up with the stuff he knows how to handle it and has respect for them.

Renegade
04-07-2013, 09:34 AM
As much as i know this will anger you parent gamers.....

Keep your kids away from those of us who don't want them pawing at are models. (I have had more kids then i can count break my stuff or start crying when they lose well there parent trys to cheat for em)

*cough*

Anyhow nice that it works for you as a family game.

Add in random adults to that who bring their kids to the store. Told one off once, and gave them a lecture on how long they take to paint and put together, and if he breaks it he pays for it. He left the store quickly.

Fourthnorth
04-07-2013, 04:26 PM
I would probably leave to after being given a lecture by some random mouth breather. I know a guy who comes to our store with a really obnoxious child (he sits the kid in the corner and ignores him while he plays) but a stern "Please don't touch my models" was all the was needed to keep the kid away from my stuff.

Magpie
04-07-2013, 05:16 PM
but a stern "Please don't touch my models" was all the was needed to keep the kid away from my stuff.

This.

The solution to kids isn't scaring them off or telling off the parent so that we lose another potential member of the hobby but rather helping all understand the do's and don't of polite behaviour.

The GW shop isn't your private domain for your hobby and shops that cultivate that sort of attitude are really awful places to be, for anyone entering the hobby at what ever age.

As a 40k'er and parent of a budding 40ker I have made a conscious effort to make very sure my kid knows how to respect other's hobby and to understand that they will get beaten and how to deal with that disappointment.

If the parent of the kid in your shop doesn't do that, then maybe take it upon yourself to teach them, parent and child, "How we roll" in the 40k hobby.

Lost Vyper
04-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Great conversation! When my sons friends come over, i always tell him "Donīt let them touch the models" (cos they donīt really know the value) and heīs the first one to keep them in line. Last game we played, he had his "game" going on and he dropped one BA Plasma Gun -model, which went to six different pieces. First i was little agitated, cos it wasnīt my model, but a little talk with him and a promise to be more careful saw us fixing the model together. He knows they are not toys, and as was said before in this conversation, thatīs up to us to teach that. When we visit the local GW, he doesnīt touch anything, cos he doesnīt have the permission to do so. In our FLGC he has permission to use models from the players and if someone revokes that right, he understands also why. Now iīm just waiting for him to get the "Letīs play for real dad!" -bug :)

Pater Sin
04-16-2013, 05:52 AM
I let my older neice have the terminators from Dark vengence to paint, but she knows not to touch any of my other models without asking first.

Lost Vyper
05-09-2013, 03:09 AM
Step II, hereīs Me (Orks) vs. Son (CSM)

Hereīs the BATREP in HD as always...500p, Purge The Alien with new terrain pieces!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp6GkRs46-o&list=UU_axggm5biLMmG-GeDUSgsA&index=1