PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Presents...

Mr Mystery
04-04-2013, 06:34 AM
So, having just asked Mumsie Mystery for a train ticket from RTW to Nottingham and back as my birthday present, was wondering what oddities you have asked for, and of course, what strange things you have received.

Wolfshade
04-04-2013, 06:37 AM
I did not ask for it:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rHIluanfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Mr Mystery
04-04-2013, 06:39 AM
That's actually pretty cool!

Wolfshade
04-04-2013, 06:49 AM
If you saw it you wouldn't say so.

It is very large, not very well balanced, has poor thermal qualties and is smaller than my current Mr Grumpy mug (capacity 1.5 pint)

Mr Mystery
04-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Ah fair enough.

In that cases, rubbish but amusing mug is rubbish but amusing.

Wolfshade
04-04-2013, 07:06 AM
The same people got the SO, a comb and some pencils, twice in a row...

alshrive
04-05-2013, 03:56 AM
not necessarily an odd present but more a disparity in present selection. Couple of years ago my uncle got me a new PS3 game for xmas (can't remember what it was now!) and then my brother (1 year younger than me) unwrapped........ a kite!

Mr Mystery
04-05-2013, 04:01 AM
Uncle Troll : Level, EXPERT!

Wolfshade
04-05-2013, 04:07 AM
Uncle Troll : Level, EXPERT!

LoL.

My mother, whom I thought would know my preference to read/see things in order one year got me my first harry potter book, Harry Potter and the Order of Phoneix, thus necessitating me to buy the previous books in the series before I could read that one.

On the same theme the next year she got me book 13 in the Sharpe series (Cornwell), again very frustrating.

Laterly my first Harry Potter DVD, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 2.

:mad:

Same issue, so many times.

Wildeybeast
04-05-2013, 05:30 AM
Have you explained this to her?

Wolfshade
04-05-2013, 05:40 AM
Several times...

This makes me seem quite ungrateful, which is not the case, it is just a little frustrating

Wildeybeast
04-05-2013, 05:54 AM
It's always an awkward one. You don't want to seem ungrateful, but if you don't tell people when they are buying you crap presents they will just keep wasting their money on things you don't like/want. I provide my family with very detailed lists of things I would like for birthday/christmas to select from. Over the years this has helped them to develop an idea of my general interests so they can get me 'surprises' from those areas (I've had books on the history of Derbyshire and brewing for the last three Christmases [Christmasii?]). If they are not sure, they default to money which saves everyone the awkwardness of poor present selection.