PDA

View Full Version : Necron Ghost Ark, Repair Barge Special Rule

Maelstorm
04-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Situation:

A Necron Cryptek or Necron Lord (Royal Court) is attached to a unit of 5 Necron Warriors, all standing within 6” of a Ghost Ark.

All 5 Warriors are shot down and fail Reanimation Protocols, the Cryptek/Lord is not wounded and remains within 6" of the Ghost Ark.

(BRB pg. 63) The Cryptek/Lord (Character) is a permanent part of the unit, "such as a Space Marine Veteran Sergeant" and is "effectively just another Trooper in the unit".

Question:

Can the Ghost Ark add D3 Warriors at the start of the next Movement Phase?

Nabterayl
04-02-2013, 08:04 PM
So the question is essentially, is that still a unit of necron warriors?

I think the answer is yes, absolutely. Adding a cryptek or lord to a unit of warriors doesn't change the squad type; it's still a unit of warriors. The fact that no more warriors happen to be alive doesn't stop it from being a necron warrior unit, any more than a space marine tactical squad that only has a veteran sergeant left stops being a tactical squad.

Maelstorm
04-02-2013, 08:07 PM
My thoughts as well, I just wanted to have a warm fuzzy about using it in the upcoming tournament.

Magpie
04-02-2013, 10:03 PM
I'd not be so sure, the Reanimation Protocols rules specifically disallow reanimation if the sole survivor is a Character.

The way the rule is written says that is only the case for RP specifically but a case could be made for the repair barge function as well.

Maelstorm
04-02-2013, 10:43 PM
It is a Ghost Ark Special Rule: "Repair Barge", different from "Reanimation Protocols" found on page 29 of the Necron Codex.
Repair Barge has it's own unique write-up on Page 53 of the Necron Codex..

Magpie
04-02-2013, 10:48 PM
It is a Ghost Ark Special Rule: "Repair Barge", different from "Reanimation Protocols" found on page 29 of the Necron Codex.
Repair Barge has it's own unique write-up on Page 53 of the Necron Codex..

Yes I know, it's just that the RP rule indicates that "A Cryptek that was part of a unit of Necron Warriors" is not "A unit of Necron Warriors"

Ketharim
04-03-2013, 12:40 AM
Yes I know, it's just that the RP rule indicates that "A Cryptek that was part of a unit of Necron Warriors" is not "A unit of Necron Warriors"

That would have also been my line of thought, the Cryptek may become part of the unit, but he will never himself become a Warrior, other like the given SM Sergeant example, where the Sergeant from the start is a SM himself.

On the other hand in the Reanimation Protocols rule it states explicitly "Note that characters do not count as part of the unit for the purposes of Reanimation Protocols..." this indicating they count as part of the unit for all other purposes, means the ability of holding an objective or using the Repair ability of the Ghost Ark. And in the Royal Court section it says the "to lead a different unit... Otherwise, they remain part of the Royal Court" which indicates again they become part of the assigned unit and also changes their status from HQ, as they are no longer part of the Royal Court.

So after reading through all the difefrent rules in question I would also say the Repair ability can be used if the Cryptek is the last living model of a Warrior unit.

Serenapth
04-03-2013, 01:56 AM
A better example is attaching a wolf guard to a space wolf squad. The FAQ states he is totally part of the unit even (especially) when determining when the unit is wiped out and for victory points etc.
I would use this 'rule' to do the same when determining RP for the warriors.

Magpie
04-03-2013, 04:23 AM
Yeh I get that but the Wolf Guard is still a Wolf Guard, he becomes the FoC slot choice of the parent unit but he doesn't actually become that parent unit model type.

The Cryptek remains a Cryptek and that is evidenced by him not counting to RP the whole unit, which I believe casts some doubt on whether a "unit of Warriors" is within 6" when all it is a Cryptek.

Sonikgav
04-03-2013, 05:18 AM
Actually no, a Wolfguard is still a Wolfguard its just a charachter in a unit, similar to upgrade charachters in other codecies like Snikrot or Karanak etc.

The fact that reanimation protocols specifically makes the exception that attatched charachters dont count, to me says that in all other ways they do count as part of the squad for all other purposes.

Magpie
04-03-2013, 05:34 AM
I think we are possibly getting a bit off track by comparing to Space Wolves but suffice to say that the Wolf Guard, like the Cryptek, does maintain his separate identity from the rest of the unit he joins, despite being part of the unit. Looking at Blood Claws you can see the special rules that do and don't apply when they are joined by a Guard.

All I am saying to the OP is don't be so confident that everyone will accept that a Cryptek who used to be in a unit of Warriors remains a unit of warriors after that unit of warriors has been killed.

Azrell
04-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Yeah well we all know that wolf guard and crypteks are "independent" of the units they are part off. they are such "characters".. hahah .;; oh wait.

Nabterayl
04-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Yeh I get that but the Wolf Guard is still a Wolf Guard, he becomes the FoC slot choice of the parent unit but he doesn't actually become that parent unit model type.
I think that's the heart of the discussion. So here's the question: when a rule says, "A unit of Necron Warriors," does it mean:

A Necron Warrior unit, or
A unit containing two or more Necron Warrior models?
Those are the only two ways I can see to read the phrase. Of the two, the first seems like the most plausible to me. And a cryptek who is attached to a warrior unit is part of that unit for all purposes except Reanimation Protocols; the fact that the unit name happens to be the same as the name of its constituent models is incidental.