PDA

View Full Version : And they wonder why cinemas are struggling?

Mr Mystery
03-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Having caught the first film on Film4 last night, I fancied seeing the new GI Joe film.

So off I go to the Odeon website to see about booking a ticket, and frankly, I was horrified at the price. To see it in 3D (I like 3D) and in one of the seats with even vaguely acceptable leg room, they wanted £13.50..... No you read that right. £13.50. Factor in getting there £4.50 for a return bus ticket, and that's £18.00 already. I could walk it, but not to spend that sort of money.

Now compare and contrast.... I've ordered An Unexpected Journey in 3D off Amazon for £21.50 delivered... £3.50 more for a permanent copy I can watch whenever, have all the leg room I need, pause when I need a wee, and with a better quality of picture and sound....

An if unlike me you're not fussed about Hi-Def or 3D, it's even cheaper to buy?

Are they actually insane? It's akin to whining your not tall enough whilst cutting off a centimetre from your legs every day. Well okay not that akin, but hopefully you'll see my point!

Screw you cinema. Our relationship is over. You're too needy and expensive!

gwensdad
03-31-2013, 07:12 PM
now imagine those same prices...BUT HAVING A FAMILY

Wolfshade
04-01-2013, 01:48 AM
You also forgot to mention after paying through the nose to watch the film, the refreshments make motorway services seem cheap. Then the 30 minutes of trailers. And not to mention the whole night could be ruined by some inconsiderate person in the same screening as you.

It is for this reason that I now just have a lovefilm account, ok, it is not as quick as seeing things in the cinema, but I get to watch the films when I like in my own surroundings.

Magpie
04-01-2013, 03:02 AM
Nothing beats a film on the big screen tho', happy to fork out for the tickets and eat out afterwards.

By the looks of it this is about the 1 thing that is cheaper in Oz than UK

Houghten
04-01-2013, 03:52 AM
This feels like an "I'm leaving GW!" argument with the serial numbers filed off.

Doesn't make it any less valid, of course... there's a reason I only see an average of 0.67 movies per year in the cinema (the ear-shattering volume doesn't help, either).

Wildeybeast
04-01-2013, 04:38 AM
I'd recommend searching for your nearest 'independent/art house' cinema. The selection of films may not always be the best, but they usually have good seating, reasonable prices and actual ushers to shush the rabble (not that the riff raff generally go to such places). If you can find one, going to the cinema is still an excellent experience.

Mr Mystery
04-01-2013, 06:21 AM
This feels like an "I'm leaving GW!" argument with the serial numbers filed off.

Doesn't make it any less valid, of course... there's a reason I only see an average of 0.67 movies per year in the cinema (the ear-shattering volume doesn't help, either).

Could be seen that way I guess, but I'm not fussed about GW prices.

Wouldn't be so bad if the cinema was in town, and not on the arse end of an industrial estate. And the screen quality is poor, sound isn't much better, as having worked there I know they pay their staff a pittance, so where the money goes nobody can really say!

I guess if I'm up London or down Brighton I may go as an activity, but its just too expensive to be a regular activity. Time was every Sunday we'd go as a group to see a film, just another weekly activity. But not any more. Was even better before, as we had a cinema in town, so we'd go whenever! Then Odeon came in, built the industrial estate one, shortly before that company bought out ABC Cinemas, promptly shutting down the one in town. And best of all? For reasons unknown, council has an agreement with them to block the building of an alternative! The mind boggles at the size of that particular brown envelope...

Cap'nSmurfs
04-01-2013, 01:02 PM
This is why my wife and I only go to see movies on Orange Wednesdays. And even then grudgingly. (We also sneak in our own sweets but shhh, it's a secret!)

Psychosplodge
04-02-2013, 04:09 AM
How long must it have been since I went last for prices to have climbed so high?
Still don't understand why people pay more to see a lower quality finish just because it's in 3d?

And yet they're still struggling with a 4000% markup on popcorn?

I've heard of a few towns that appear to have had similar "agreements".

Mr Mystery
04-02-2013, 05:17 AM
Thing is, I'm hooked on 3D.

Bought my super telly a couple of years back, and noticed it had 3D. As I'd also bought a PS3, and an HDMI cable it made sense to explore it. And given the right film, it does make a difference! Take The Amazing Spiderman. When you're swooping through the streets, first person in 3D, it is really cool! There are of course stinkers out there, but hey, welcome to cinema!

I really want to mount a legal challenge against that. I mean, having a town centre cinema surely benefits all? Got in early, and with time to kill? Why not explore the shops of Royal Tunbridge Wells. We have numerous cafes and boutique and bespoke businesses in the town. Instead.... Got time to kill? WELL TOUGH TITTY! We've built this monstrosity miles away! You'll have to spend all your cashmonies here!!! AHAHAHAHAHA!

Surely, surely it cannot be legal to limit competition in that way? Sure, I get that (as RTW does) once you have 24 coffee shops, you do question the need for another, and ditto 'nail bars'. But when your effectively handing a monopoly over to an already monopolistic chain? Dodgy in the extreme. And that's why they get away with charging the prices they do. Outside of a planned trip to Brighton or London, I, and pretty much everyone else in the town have no alternative other than to go to a decrepit, run down flea pit with sticky carpets and zero charm :(