PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones: Season 3

Brakkart
03-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Thought I'd throw up a thread to discuss arguably the best show on TV. The new season starts Sunday night if you live in the States on HBO, and Monday night on Sky Atlantic if you're in the UK both at the time of 9pm (No idea as to screening times anywhere else though).

Please do not post spoilers from the books ahead of time. Some people don't want to read the books (myself included. I plan to read them all once the series is all done, until then I'll enjoy the TV show for what it is). It's okay to discuss a change from the books though once something different has happened in the tv show.

Really looking forward to this series, especially Ciaran Hinds as Mance Rayder the King beyond the Wall as he was excellent as Julius Caesar in Rome.

Mr Mystery
03-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Here's hoping Joffrey gets bummed off a Dragon.

Brakkart
03-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Been listening my way through the commentary tracks on my season 2 DVD set recently and was amazed to learn that Jack Gleeson who plays Joffrey apparently plans to go into teaching theology rather than continue with acting once his role on the series is done, he's already taken his degree in it. The show's exec producers half joking suggested fans start a letter writing campaign to convince him to change his mind as he's such a good actor. He certainly plays a truly horrible villain and has apparently been nicknamed the most hated man on television, which is some feat.

Mr Mystery
03-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Given his success, I think a break would be good. He's so good at playing an odious little worm, he'd be typecast all too easily.

Go off and teach for a bit, return in a different role?

Brakkart
03-30-2013, 10:03 AM
True nobody wants to be typecast. I'm still amazed that he is that kid from the slum in Batman Begins myself.

Wildeybeast
03-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Screw acting, teach theology!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-01-2013, 04:20 AM
Oh my god..... That was amazing! Ser Barristan Selmy is a boss.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120427070717/gameofthrones/images/a/ac/Lannister.JPG

I will always be a Lannister.

Brakkart
04-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Just finished watching it and yeah it is good to see Ser Barristan back, though in a very notable departure from the books he isn't using an alias. In the books he appears to Dany as Astan Whitebeard and it is quite some time until she knows who he really is. I think I prefer the show's approach as Ser Barristan is very well known, as shown in the show when Ser Jorah recognises him instantly.

That scene with the Unsullied though *shudder* that was just a nasty way of showing how obidient they are!

lattd
04-01-2013, 09:12 AM
I think some of the changes from the book have really dropped the quality of the show, such as season 2 with the burning of the gods before the attempted assassination of the red priest that would have more impact the other way round imo.

Brakkart
04-01-2013, 09:38 AM
I dunno about that one, the scene with the burning of the gods was still pretty resonant for me. I do get the feeling that the show will diverge quite greatly from the books as time goes on, as I know Dany and Arya's stories really drag their heels at times which might work in a book, but won't work on tv. I kinda like that the show has it's own take on the overall story though, means those who do read the books can still be surprised by the show, and after listening to the commentary GRRM did even he admits that some of the way that series has handled things is better than his own writing.

lattd
04-01-2013, 10:30 AM
yea im glad they have spend up snow's story line and arya's but i feel watching the lord of light protect the priest would make it more convincing to burn their gods and take a new one, as they have seen that one at work.

White Tiger88
04-01-2013, 03:53 PM
This episode had much less nudity then i was expecting.........

Psychosplodge
04-02-2013, 08:25 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/1a4f742413a5bf3960986df7afd2b0ce/tumblr_mkm5u4K26e1s99ndno2_r1_500.jpg

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Just finished watching it and yeah it is good to see Ser Barristan back, though in a very notable departure from the books he isn't using an alias. In the books he appears to Dany as Astan Whitebeard and it is quite some time until she knows who he really is. I think I prefer the show's approach as Ser Barristan is very well known, as shown in the show when Ser Jorah recognises him instantly.

That scene with the Unsullied though *shudder* that was just a nasty way of showing how obidient they are!

Silly Brakkart, you don't need nipples!

Brakkart
04-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Silly Brakkart, you don't need nipples!

True, but I'd still rather not have mine sliced off thanks.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Well... Okay then...

:(

dark messenger
04-03-2013, 05:41 AM
There is one thing that so far has bugged me about the end of season 2/beginning of season 3... the poor Starks are basically being crapped on by every passing family with something to prove (especially with the state that Winterfell is in now) and their "numerous" allies and bannermen are doing nothing to stop this?
Shouldn't Robb and his army have scoured the Westerlands and been back home as a free sovereign nation again by now? It seems that with Tywin in the Crownlands with the Tyrells, Robb should've taken it as a win and gone back to be king in the north before any of this ever happened...

And Tywin is a nasty guy. We've all had our parent problems but I do begin to feel quite sorry for the Lannister kids. Even the Baratheon one ;)

Brakkart
04-03-2013, 07:43 PM
With regard to the Stark's the reason Robb's army has not gone home yet is that he still has one Lannister army in the field that's giving him the run around. He can't turn around and head home with it intact, else it'll hound him all the way back there and an orderly withdrawl north could turn into a rout. If he can destroy it in battle though, the Lannister's will have to sue for peace and he can thus set terms including independence for the North and the return of Sansa.

The bit I don't quite understand is that at the end of last season Arya escaped Harrenhall and headed north towards home, and at the start of this season Robb's army arrives at Harrenhall having headed south to get there... Armies are kinda big and tend to draw a lot of attention, so how is it that Arya did not cross paths with her brothers forces, especially as her brothers army is what she's looking to find (and she would have had a fair idea of where it was from the maps and discussions she saw/overheard in Tywin's chambers while pouring all that wine etc).

White Tiger88
04-03-2013, 08:02 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/1a4f742413a5bf3960986df7afd2b0ce/tumblr_mkm5u4K26e1s99ndno2_r1_500.jpg

Dat be real bro! She has 3 Dragon Type....HAX!

Wildeybeast
04-04-2013, 06:40 AM
With regard to the Stark's the reason Robb's army has not gone home yet is that he still has one Lannister army in the field that's giving him the run around. He can't turn around and head home with it intact, else it'll hound him all the way back there and an orderly withdrawl north could turn into a rout. If he can destroy it in battle though, the Lannister's will have to sue for peace and he can thus set terms including independence for the North and the return of Sansa.

The bit I don't quite understand is that at the end of last season Arya escaped Harrenhall and headed north towards home, and at the start of this season Robb's army arrives at Harrenhall having headed south to get there... Armies are kinda big and tend to draw a lot of attention, so how is it that Arya did not cross paths with her brothers forces, especially as her brothers army is what she's looking to find (and she would have had a fair idea of where it was from the maps and discussions she saw/overheard in Tywin's chambers while pouring all that wine etc).

The book deals with these issues (possible spoilers to follow, though no significant ones). The Riverlands is massive tract of land, criss crossed by numerous rivers, which Arya, an eight year old girl, has never been to and has no map of. She basically heads in what she thinks is north by guessing that moss grows on the south facing side of trees. She is actually aiming for Riverrun where she knows her brother is operating out of and her uncle & grandfather are. She knows the Trident will lead her there, but has no idea which of the many rivers is the Trident. In the book, Robb's bannerman Lord Bolton takes Harrenhal, Robb himself never goes there. It actually Bolton she serves as cupbearer too, not Tywin, and she doesn't know if she can trust him to return her safely to her family (as she trusts no one other than her family), so never tells him who she is. She (and some of the other Starks) do have a number of near-misses with each other but fate always seems to intervene. There are a number of armies from both sides wandering all over the Riverlands, not to mention Beric Dondarrion and his band of merry men, as well as plenty of outlaws, so Arya does her best to steer clear of all of them.

As for the issue with Robb not going, you are halfway there Brakkart. Robb sacks a number of castles in the west with his largely mounted force. His plan is to draw Tywin away from the Riverlands and lead his army a merry dance across the west, destroying it bit by bit whilst leaving Stannis free to take Kings Landing. He commands Edmure Tully to sit in Riverrun and hold it (knowing the Lannisters will never take it and will have to protect their home. Unfortunately Edmure misinterprets his orders and leads his forces out of Riverrun to give battle to Lannister forces on the Trident. He does this very successfully and slaughters plenty of them, but it prevents Tywin from marching west to deal with Robb and leaves him able to retreat back to Kings Landing to team up with the Tyrells, giving them a massive army. Once Stannis loses the Battle of Blackwater, Robb finds himself unable to march south because he faces more superior numbers.

Whilst all this is happening, the Ironmen have taken a number of northern castles, including Winterfell, with ease as all Robbs bannermen from the north and the Riverlands are with him in the Riverlands. So basically Robb has hard fights both north and south of him and can't turn to face either of them without exposing himself. He's a brilliant general, he's just let down by incompetent and treasonous underlings.

Everyone craps on the Starks DM, as the Starks are too bloody noble/stupid to see the inevitable betrayals all around them. A family containing the Kingslayer don't keep their word? The rebellious Greyjoys rebel? Who would have thought it? :rolleyes:

Gotthammer
04-05-2013, 12:25 PM
http://youtu.be/hwF-D5wEEmk

Brakkart
04-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Ohh that's terrible. A decent cover version of the theme tune was done by whitenoiselab:

http://youtu.be/GC-ZmlwBWKM

Game of Rock!

And thanks for the explanation Wildey. That does actually help me make sense of that bit of the plot. The Starks, too good for their own good that lot.

Wildeybeast
04-06-2013, 11:51 AM
No worries, happy to help. I generally like the changes/omissions they have made from the books, though it does lead to the odd bit like that where you are wondering what on earth people are doing.

Brakkart
04-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Yeah I don't really get people who complain that it the tv show isn't exactly like the books. It is a different form of media entirely and there were always going to be differences as a lot that works in a book won't work on tv, especially when you consider that a book has in effect an unlimited sfx/cast budget and a tv show most definitely does not! I've been extremely impressed with how well they have done, and if you listen to the commentaries you get a very good idea of how tight things are on the show, a good example being that the episode that covered the Battle of Blackwater last season was only finished 2 hours before it broadcast!

People (including GRRM) would love the seasons to be longer but as the producers point out they make almost 10 hours a year of high quality fantasy drama, by contrast the entire Lord of the Rings movie saga (extended edition) is 12 hours long and took nearly a decade to make. They couldn't make more episodes even if they had the budget to do so. They have managed to make each episode a couple minutes longer this year though but that's the best they can do.

I think one of my favourite quotes from an author with regard to their work being adapted is from Ed Greenwood (who created the Forgotten Realms). He was asked by a fan at a convention what he thought about how the game world had changed in recent years and he smiled and said that quite aside from being able to write for the setting and the royalties and such, that selling his world to become a D&D setting meant that his world now had the ability to surprise him, which was priceless and that he looked forward to every new book that came out so that he could be as entertained by the world as others were.

Wildeybeast
04-06-2013, 01:23 PM
There were only 2 changes in the whole of season 2 I took issue with and that was because (for me) they changed something about the nature of a character. Otherwise, everything they have done seems reasonable, especially as much of the books is people wandering around doing not very much. I think having GRRM on board has really helped them.

In other news, the first episode of season 3 saw a big jump in viewers from season 2, so HBO have commissioned season 4!

Psychosplodge
04-08-2013, 02:36 PM
I think this was one of the better plot twists

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkuk2m5nyy1qg7l6go1_500.jpg

Khal Drogo with a My Little Pony.

dothraki can have sex out in the open no matter whos watching but DONT YOU DARE INTURRUPT THEIR PONY PLAY.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Screw off Pony boy

Psychosplodge
04-08-2013, 03:36 PM
hehehehe

FireHazard
04-08-2013, 06:16 PM
He's a brilliant general, he's just let down by incompetent and treasonous underlings.

Must have Skaven blood in him somewhere...

Wildeybeast
04-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Nah, he's far too reckless for that. No self-respecting Skaven general would lead from the front.

Brakkart
04-16-2013, 02:26 AM
Was good to see one of King Robb's incompetent underlings in last nights episode, especially love that they got another Rome alumni into the cast. Tobias Menzies is an inspired choice to play Edmure Tully.

Seemed a bit odd to see someone get a happy ending last night in the departure of Hot Pie to live at the Inn and be a cook there, just about everyone else to leave the cast has done so in some fatal way or other.

Gotthammer
04-16-2013, 02:48 AM
Next episode: The Mountain rides up and burns the inn to the ground. (I'm just guessing here - not a spoiler :p ).

I could watch an entire series of Jamie and Brienne wandering around together - medieval Midnight Run (oh, and CHOP!). Arya also continues to be the best character - though all the young actors are great actually.

MarneusCalgar
04-16-2013, 03:03 AM
Want to watch the Red Wedding!!

Gotthammer
04-16-2013, 03:10 AM
No spoilers please :)

energongoodie
04-16-2013, 03:19 AM
The last scene of that episode was :eek:

They did what to Jamie!!!

Psychosplodge
04-16-2013, 03:20 AM
Somebody whos read the books tell me if its worth watching when you already know what's going to happen.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-16-2013, 03:20 AM
I bet that bread was awful.

Also, loving Jaime Lannister in this season. Proud to wear the lion.

Also also, which incompentent f'wit let Tyrion control the Kingdom's money? They were screwed before, now they're double screwed.
I wonder who DOESN'T owe Tywin Lannister money?

@Psycho, I've read the books, there is a LOT of interesting stuff coming up, a la, the Red Wedding. Don't look it up.

http://concerninghobbits.mymiddleearth.com/files/2013/03/jaime-lannister.jpg

Pwhoar! I would.

Psychosplodge
04-16-2013, 03:26 AM
I've read the books, that's what I mean, is it worth me looking at buying the boxsets to watch it? (as don't have sky)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-16-2013, 03:30 AM
I don't either. :p

Yes, it is worth watching, the amazing thing about Game of Thrones is that it is pretty much just good acting, because of it's low-fantasy setting they don't really have a lot of cool special effects to cover up bad acting. (looking at you Transformers!)

But the special effects that they do have.... well....

DROOL.

Psychosplodge
04-16-2013, 03:31 AM
Next time hmv is closing down then...

http://concerninghobbits.mymiddleearth.com/files/2013/03/jaime-lannister.jpg

Pwhoar! I would.

Not what you said on the feminist thread :D

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-16-2013, 03:32 AM
Nice. :p

I'll say one word: Wildfire.

Psycho, Jaime has a mouth.

Psychosplodge
04-16-2013, 03:34 AM
O_o

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-16-2013, 03:35 AM
To correct that, the Wildfire thing was in response to the special effects that I drool over.

Psychosplodge
04-16-2013, 03:40 AM
Ah.

Also you imagine he'd be a bottom?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-16-2013, 03:41 AM
Well, from what the series has shown, he likes to be on top. :p

#incestinthemorning

Psychosplodge
04-16-2013, 03:44 AM
Well that's certainly how he's written wouldn't you say?

Wildeybeast
04-16-2013, 12:42 PM
I've read the books, that's what I mean, is it worth me looking at buying the boxsets to watch it? (as don't have sky)

They are worth watching as they are great TV. Season 1 is very accurate to the book, Season 2 chops and changes a few things round (including adding some great dialogue between Arya and Tywin). I can't comment on season 3 as I don't have Sky and unlike some members of the Horsemen, I do not think stealing money from honest, hard working people by pirating things is a good thing to do. I shall (im)patiently wait until next year when the DVD comes out.

Gotthammer
04-16-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm enjoying it far more than the books. As Wildey says there's a bit of chopping and changing, and apparently there will be a reasonable bit of deviation from the books at some points, and is already (Bran meeting Meera and Jojen is very different, for example). Saw a quote that people who know the books will be surprised by events in S3.

As a note for any Aussies (or people looking to proxy as Aussies...) GoT is available for download on iTunes and soon to be streamable on Quickflix (for android and others) as well as Foxtel for around $30 for the season.

Wildeybeast
04-16-2013, 01:54 PM
I saw Season 1 and loved it, so I read GoT and whilst I enjoyed it, I preferred the TV show. I then read the next few books whilst waiting for season 2 and having done so, didn't enjoy season 2 as much as 1 because I knew what was going to happen and preferred the extra detail of the books. I like both, but the extra immersion you get in the books is what does it for me.

Godless Zealot
04-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Finally finished season 2 recently. I was a bit meh about the series to be honest but thought it picked up near the end. Never read any of the books so it will be interesting to see how the new season plays out, again I don't have Sky so won't be seeing it anytime soon.

Psychosplodge
04-17-2013, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the extra answers peoples.

I'll certainly check it out when I see it at a reasonable price.

Gotthammer
04-22-2013, 10:34 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ey1uj9fC1qz4e21o1_500.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/41009874b8a682b220328e255a3b4bfb/tumblr_mln6lkkrFl1rz17myo1_400.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/705d789f5adef98c0bee35e68f86e653/tumblr_mlnj4mh7sv1r3u87lo1_500.gif

Brakkart
04-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Tonight's episode was good, but the last 6 mins of it was truly epic stuff. There are whole movies that call themselves epics that are less awesome than what Dany did to Astapor.

energongoodie
05-13-2013, 04:29 AM
Game of Thrones won the 'Radio Times Audience Award in 2013' Bafta!
I voted for it :)
I can't believe it beat :
Call the Midwife
The Great British Bake Off
Homeland
Olympic Opening Ceremony
Strictly Come Dancing

I was sure the olympics would have won cause people seemed to love it. Well done Game of Thrones! You are awesome :D

eldargal
05-13-2013, 05:28 AM
Call the Midwife is over-rated tripe. GoT is a high budget soap opera with male fantasy switched for female fantasy but there is nothing wrong with that.

Psychosplodge
05-13-2013, 05:41 AM
The olympic ceremony was pants.

energongoodie
05-13-2013, 07:27 AM
The olympic ceremony was pants.

+1

Brakkart
05-13-2013, 10:28 AM
I kinda liked the Olympic Opening Ceremony, but still glad to see Game of Thrones beat it. I gotta get around to watching Homeland one of these days, there's like 2 seasons of it on DVD now and I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Psychosplodge
05-13-2013, 02:20 PM
The problem I have with these long american series is that you have "hour" (45 mins) long episodes where nothing really happens as you've got twenty six weeks to fill...

Brakkart
05-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Agreed, it's why I like shows like Game of Thrones and The Borgia's because they are shorter seasons and so they have a lot less filler. That said there are plenty of shows with shorter seasons that have episodes of utter rubbish (the current season of Doctor Who springs to mind). A lot of shows could benefit from taking a leaf out of Babylon 5's book and having a fixed length for the show to run for and a set beginning to end story in mind before they start.

Wildeybeast
05-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Game of Thrones won the 'Radio Times Audience Award in 2013' Bafta!
I voted for it :)
I can't believe it beat :
Call the Midwife
The Great British Bake Off
Homeland
Olympic Opening Ceremony
Strictly Come Dancing

I was sure the olympics would have won cause people seemed to love it. Well done Game of Thrones! You are awesome :D

I can easily believe it beat them. Nerds are dedicated and passionate and in any public vote they come out on force. It's why Derby now has street named 'Lara Croft Way', rather than any of the more sensible and respectable names on offer. :rolleyes:

Psychosplodge
05-15-2013, 01:39 AM
But what else would they have called it?

Also it's not only (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/8239258/Suffolk-tourist-board-embarrassed-after-metal-band-Cradle-of-Filth-voted-countys-greatest-icon.html) nerds :D

Wildeybeast
05-15-2013, 01:49 PM
The other options were a footballer (ho hum), or the estimable George Sorocold or John Flamsted. I'm surprised that Erasmus Darwin wasn't on the shortlist. It's the council's fault, they didn't restrict the amount of times people could vote, nor restrict it residents of Derby. Some bloke in Brazil voted 500 times apparently. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/8538106.stm

Psychosplodge
05-15-2013, 02:46 PM
it could be worse

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/small/3040895.jpg

Wildeybeast
05-15-2013, 03:10 PM
No way is that real.

Psychosplodge
05-15-2013, 03:15 PM
It's in Conisbrough, I remember them complaining in the local paper about the signs getting stolen, though I have a feeling they may have changed the name as it's not on google maps anymore.

Wildeybeast
05-15-2013, 03:22 PM
How would that ever get approved as a name?

Psychosplodge
05-15-2013, 03:42 PM
*shrugs*
there's worse out there, I'm sure I've walked down a road called "whore walk" before...

energongoodie
06-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Just watched ep 9............ O_O ...............

What?....What?..... Wow.....

DarkLink
06-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Ever since people started talking about what happened to Ned Stark, I've been waiting for this episode to come out.

Brakkart
06-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Well that was horrible... I knew it was going to happen but even so, actually seeing it is something else entirely.

Just watched ep 9............ O_O ...............

What?....What?..... Wow.....

Check out the reactions of these people!

http://youtu.be/78juOpTM3tE

eldargal
06-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Schadenfreude...overwhelming...

I actually made a point of watching this one with my friends after I heard the Red Wedding was in it. That made them suspicious but the 3-4 who hadn't read the book had no idea what was coming and their reactions really were amusing. For me. Traumatic for them.

Emerald Rose Widow
06-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Schadenfreude...overwhelming...

I actually made a point of watching this one with my friends after I heard the Red Wedding was in it. That made them suspicious but the 3-4 who hadn't read the book had no idea what was coming and their reactions really were amusing. For me. Traumatic for them.

I knew it was coming, but it still was pretty brutal, and I still dont like it. Robb wasn't my favorite character but I liked him...you gotta feel bad for the Starks.

eldargal
06-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Yup, but I worked through all that when I read the books and I haven't been following the series much since the end of the first season. Actually felt more sorry for Whatsisnames wife who I'm sure survived in the book.

Brakkart
06-04-2013, 12:21 AM
Well Robb's wife does survive in the books because she isn't there. She also isn't the wife he has in the show (Talisa Maegyr) as she is named Jeyne Westerling. She is also not pregnant. I get the feeling they created Talisa (and her pregnancy) specifically so that those who have read the books would still get an element of shock/surprise from the Red Wedding, as they did not have forewarning of her death and the rather horrible manner in which it was done. If so, kudos to the shows creators for a clever bit of adaptation.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-04-2013, 01:51 AM
My friends didn't know it was coming, because they don't read...

DarkLink
06-04-2013, 02:09 AM
http://imgur.com/gallery/L5hGXMf

Well Robb's wife does survive in the books because she isn't there. She also isn't the wife he has in the show (Talisa Maegyr) as she is named Jeyne Westerling. She is also not pregnant. I get the feeling they created Talisa (and her pregnancy) specifically so that those who have read the books would still get an element of shock/surprise from the Red Wedding, as they did not have forewarning of her death and the rather horrible manner in which it was done. If so, kudos to the shows creators for a clever bit of adaptation.

Also because in the book, there's not a whole lot of characterization involved. Robb isn't a viewpoint character, everything you know about him is through Catelyn's eyes, and oftentimes it's secondhand knowledge rather than direct interaction. Because of how important Robb is to the plot, they had to beef up his storyline, keeping strictly to the book would have make for a pretty crappy adaption. And in the book, he marries Jayne Westerling (iirc) pretty much because he sleeps with her and felt obliged to marry her. That's about it, no real depth to it other than how it shapes the rest of the plot eventually. She's barely even a character, at least until much later in the series (and even then she's still a secondary character at best).

So in the show, they had to flesh out Robb's character, and that meant giving him a wife the audience could care about. They did a pretty awesome job, with the added benefit of having an even greater impact during the Red Wedding.

Unfortunately, I think I accidentally at least partially spoiled it for my sister. She's watching season 3, but she's only on episode 5 right now, and accidentally saw some comments below the video about the Red Wedding. I don't think it will matter, though. Even the people who knew exactly what was coming still got hit pretty hard, and my sister only knows that eventually some main characters will probably get killed.

That said, there are more developments to come in this part of the plot.

eldargal
06-04-2013, 03:27 AM
Yep, I'm looking forward to seeing peoples reaction to a certain characters return...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-04-2013, 03:30 AM
I am using the angry squid manoeuvre right now.

eldargal
06-04-2013, 03:37 AM
Is that a euphemism?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-04-2013, 03:42 AM
Every Greyjoy phrase is a euphemism.

Paying the Iron price...

Hexx2019
06-04-2013, 03:47 AM
I hope gw never learns the phrase paying the iron price....or I really will have to pay an arm and a leg for the next codex.

eldargal
06-04-2013, 07:17 AM
One of my friends little sisters (14) has been watching the show on the sly and evidently had a bit of a meltdown on seeing this. Screaming, wailing, tears and apparently swearing off men especially old men for life.

DarkLink
06-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Yep, I'm looking forward to seeing peoples reaction to a certain characters return...

Also, there are more weddings to come...

Wildeybeast
06-04-2013, 02:25 PM
None of them as important or traumatic as the Red Wedding though. As I read up to this in the book I could sense what was coming, mainly through Cat's apprehension (excellent narration by Martin) but it still came as a gut punch. I was waiting to see how people would react to this, can't wait for it to come out on DVD. Has Joffrey bit the bullet yet?

DarkLink
06-04-2013, 02:55 PM
In the series? No. In the books... not telling if you don't already know.

Wildeybeast
06-05-2013, 09:55 AM
I meant the series. I've now finished all the books and am impatiently waiting for the Winds of Winter.

DarkLink
06-07-2013, 01:17 PM
http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/495/495018.jpg

eldargal
06-07-2013, 11:23 PM
It's funny 'cos it's true.

White Tiger88
06-08-2013, 12:38 AM
One of my friends little sisters (14) has been watching the show on the sly and evidently had a bit of a meltdown on seeing this. Screaming, wailing, tears and apparently swearing off men especially old men for life.

LOL, Wait till she see's what the Woman are upto ;)

DarkLink
06-08-2013, 12:44 AM
http://teamcoco.com/video/george-rr-martin-game-of-thrones-spoilers

"Crap, I was supposed to write more books?"

eldargal
06-08-2013, 01:32 AM
"Complete reboot with Daenerys Targaryen played by Zachary Quinto" .
http://25.media.tumblr.com/b19d16c518700e3a52042804bf604256/tumblr_mmghwdopFH1rmnxaco1_500.jpg

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-08-2013, 03:08 AM
That's scary.

Psychosplodge
06-13-2013, 01:59 AM
*Series 4 Spoilers*

http://24.media.tumblr.com/7f16eca406a09b58a7dcf6bbb0afd7c7/tumblr_mo1dw0ARKE1rqnae3o4_r1_250.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/e5ee1a644b0c61387adca609a1114a83/tumblr_mo1dw0ARKE1rqnae3o7_r1_250.gif
http://24.media.tumblr.com/e33fd10239a32447be6f01327aadd3f4/tumblr_mo1dw0ARKE1rqnae3o8_250.gifhttp://24.media.tumblr.com/e95342841017ad331ec74e4b3e675a1f/tumblr_mo1dw0ARKE1rqnae3o1_250.gif

energongoodie
06-13-2013, 02:01 AM
I thought nothing could follow ep 9....and I was right.
Ep 10 was fine I guess but after ep 9, why even try.

Brakkart
06-13-2013, 02:14 AM
I agree that the season finale was a bit of a let down after the Red Wedding, but then pretty much anything would be. Can you imagine what the reaction would have been had that been the season finale with 10 months to find out what happened next? Still lots of good stuff to come from what is left of Book 3 to cover though and then things get a bit more messy as Books 4 and 5 largely take pace at the same time (well about the first 2/3rds of Book 5 take place concurrently with the events of Book 4 anyway) so the latter half of season 4 and then seasons 5 & 6 (assuming it gets them which seems a pretty sure bet) will be all over the place as there's a load of characters to add into the mix yet though I imagine a lot will be cut/merged for the tv show to keep the cast to a manageable size.

eldargal
06-13-2013, 07:37 AM
I think it made sense to have a less intense episode to let the aftermath of the Red Wedding sink in personally. Also Arya starting her ascent into badassery was pretty damned cool.

DarkLink
06-13-2013, 11:59 AM
She only gets better. It might be a little while until Daenerys' next big moment, though. Her plotline in the books is a bit slower than in the show. They've already spiced it up with the dragon-kidnapping last season.

Wildeybeast
06-13-2013, 12:00 PM
I agree that the season finale was a bit of a let down after the Red Wedding, but then pretty much anything would be. Can you imagine what the reaction would have been had that been the season finale with 10 months to find out what happened next? Still lots of good stuff to come from what is left of Book 3 to cover though and then things get a bit more messy as Books 4 and 5 largely take pace at the same time (well about the first 2/3rds of Book 5 take place concurrently with the events of Book 4 anyway) so the latter half of season 4 and then seasons 5 & 6 (assuming it gets them which seems a pretty sure bet) will be all over the place as there's a load of characters to add into the mix yet though I imagine a lot will be cut/merged for the tv show to keep the cast to a manageable size.

Since book 4 is boring and virtually none of it actually advances the story, I'm assuming they will skip most of it.

DarkLink
06-13-2013, 12:55 PM
That's part of the reason why I'm pretty impressed with the show's writers. Pretty much every change they've made from the books has been an improvement, and they've compressed down a massive amount of material without losing any of the important stuff. Every time I think they're about to skip something (like the importance of the laws of hospitality), they come out with a well-played example that covers it quite well (like Bran's story about the White Rat, who was punished by the Gods not for murder and cannibalism, but for breaking the laws of hospitality).

Wildeybeast
06-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Can't comment on Season 3, but generally I've agreed with the changes. I really liked the interplay between Arya and Tywin in Season 2, that was great. Though it annoyed me when they had Stannis describe killing Renly as 'murder'.

eldargal
06-13-2013, 10:45 PM
I think teh changes are for the better mostly too, though I still need to watch most of series 2 and 3.

DrLove42
06-18-2013, 08:27 AM
me and the wife were ill yesterday.

So we chained through all 10 episodes of season 1 and the first 2 in series 2.

Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the rest of it. Going to have to find the books soon as well.

Wildeybeast
06-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Take your time on the books. I got through all of them in 6 months and am now sat impatiently waiting for the next one.

eldargal
06-19-2013, 01:50 AM
Should only be another five years or so.

Psychosplodge
06-19-2013, 02:14 AM
Six months?
Took your time.

Wildeybeast
06-19-2013, 10:07 AM
I'd have liked to have read it much quicker. I got through 2 of them in my Easter hols. Stupid job getting in the way of fun.

DarkLink
06-19-2013, 01:15 PM
I took I think A Clash of Kings (or Storm of Swords? Whichever is the third one) and A Feast for the Crows on a 10-day backpacking trip, and finished both. I might have been partway through the first, though. I don't remember.

Psychosplodge
06-20-2013, 07:21 AM
I got through the first three or four in that space between bowing day and the day after newyears day. :D
Or hiding from social gatherings as it's known XD

http://25.media.tumblr.com/9f9a3e0b9b0a6176bd3ae9eef14da622/tumblr_mmybn20T181qewacoo1_500.jpg

DrLove42
06-20-2013, 07:25 AM
I'd imagine i'll get the first few for my birthday in 2 weeks

eldargal
06-20-2013, 07:28 AM
Those are unnecessarily large sex toys he's made his chair out of.

DarkLink
06-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Found this, and it's totally true:

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/2013-06-17.jpg

Ze_Shoggoth
06-23-2013, 02:46 PM

If that person returns like in the books it will be kinda well ... and honestly I think it was kinda meh to happen anyway.

Fatagn!

Mr Mystery
06-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Still hoping Joffrey gets bummed to death off a Dragon......

DarkLink
06-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Well, so far, everyone was shocked at the end of Season 1. Season 3 blew that out of the water. Now, though, they've started to run out of good guys to kill... btw, http://mentalfloss.com/article/50927/real-life-events-inspired-sundays-game-thrones-episode

Also
http://www.rockpapercynic.com/strips/2013-06-10.jpg

DrLove42
06-25-2013, 03:59 AM
Finished S3 last night

Wow. Roll on S4!