PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves: Wolf Guard with Power Axes, wolves in sheep's clothing?

AM-254
03-24-2013, 04:31 PM
I've recently come up with what I consider to be a cunning plan. This is most likely an over statement of the most incredible proportions but I shall continue to form my small but elegantly formed bonfire in any case.
I recently witnessed a match in which a squad of five sternguard with combi-meltas in a drop pod killed a landraider, much to the annoyance of the grey knight player and the exultation of the Space Marine player. The sternguard were massacred by the GK terminators in the LandRaider on the following turn but this gave me an idea.
5 Wolf Guard Terminators in a drop pod, all with multi-meltas and power axes. Assuming I can get the Pod where I want it and don't roll appaulingly, that should kill a LandRaider, much as the sternguard did.
However, in terminator armor, the WG will get their saves against the AP3 halberds of the GK Terminators, and most other things barring a dreadknight or the inevitable daemon hammer in the squad, but when they strike back at I1 with AP2 strength 5 Grey Knights are gonna start dropping like flies.
In addition to this, assuming the GK low model count is evident, the opponent would have to stall his advance, in order to bring more dangerous units to bear against this lone squad, buying more time for the long fangs to blast the Emperor-loving heck out of the advancing force.
Has anyone tried this, does anyone think it might work, or is it just a silly idea? I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter.
Thanks

AM