PDA

View Full Version : Assault Squad with Jump Packs or for Drop Pod?

Blackcloud6
03-24-2013, 11:07 AM
I just started building my Crimson Fists with a tactical Squad primed this morning.

Next up is an Assault Squad. I am thinking of using Drop Pods in this Army form time to time. So should I build the Assault Squad with regular backpacks so they can go in the Pods, or should I build them with the Jump Packs and leave the Pods for Tactical Squads? I have five Assault Squad models.

I am leaning to putting them in the Jump Packs and using them as reinforcements to a Pod drop or to land elsewhere.

DemonFerret
03-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Magnets. Then you can do both

Blackcloud6
03-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Magnets. Then you can do both

That is a good idea.

White Tiger88
03-25-2013, 01:15 AM
Go for the Drop Pods, That way you get a scoreing unit that shows up in an annoying Giant Pod.

Wolfshade
03-25-2013, 02:51 AM
I am of the opinion that 5 man assault squads are too small. There stats while solid aren't great and many other armies dedicated melee units will beat them. That being said, I usually run with assault squads but 10-man. The trick is to carefully select what it is they are going to hit.

Blackcloud6
03-25-2013, 06:29 AM
I am of the opinion that 5 man assault squads are too small. There stats while solid aren't great and many other armies dedicated melee units will beat them. That being said, I usually run with assault squads but 10-man. The trick is to carefully select what it is they are going to hit.

I was wondering about that too. It might be prudent to make 10 figures. One can always reduce if point limit requires it.

As to magnets, which ones do you recommend? I bought some for weapons on vehciles but they might be too large for back packs. Have you magnetized weapons on these figures too?

Wolfshade
03-25-2013, 06:44 AM
There is a guide on BoLS here http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/01/fun-with-magnets-40k-backpack-swaps.html and http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2008/12/magnetic-weapon-swaps.html which are quite good.

Alot depends on what you want to do with your assault marines, if you want them tank hunting then they can afford to drop down to smaller units with powerfists/meltabombs, but don't expect them to charge into a large blob and come out smelling of roses.

Blenderovski
04-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Wolfshade has a very good point - the only smaller squads that will really help you out, assault-wise, would be Vanguard Veterans. Ten is enough to weather a storm and deal out some damage. I'd go for the Assault Marines though, if you can make up that larger squad. Five jump packs for a fiver from GW!

Phototoxin
04-05-2013, 07:40 PM
I'd stick tacticals or sternguard in a pod. The main issue with assault marines is that they are still just marines. Only the sgt can get power weapons and while 2 attacks is good (1 basic + extra weapon) they aren't spectacular are their role. Their key advantage is manoeuvrability, taking a flamer in them is usually a good idea. It also depends what you want to use them for - actually killing a unit (take 10!) supporting other units, tying up devistators, eating tanks (thunder hammer on the sgt then!)

V vets in marines are expensive if you give them jump packs and cannot assault if entering by pod. They could work in a transport. I've only found them decent with blood angels due to the re-rolling jump pack reserves and only scattering d6 not 2d6. That way they kinda ruin my opponents day!

Camael
04-10-2013, 05:25 AM
Go for the Drop Pods, That way you get a scoreing unit that shows up in an annoying Giant Pod.
The codex only states that they are played as infantry. As far as I can tell, this still means that they are not a scoring unit.

Personally, I feel that there are generally better options than assault marines when it comes to both fast attack and CC options, the fist things that jump to mind are assault terminators and attack bikes