PDA

View Full Version : Grey Knights Dreadknight

Warp dust
03-24-2013, 06:32 AM
I just put together a couple dreadknights but I don't know which close combat weapons to give them. Great sword seems popular for fighting off infantry and I know you can just select the doom fist when you need the strength. My thoughts were taking two doom fists and getting an extra attack or taking the daemon hammer and getting ap1 and concussive. Anyone have better luck with certain options? Only focusing on close combat weapons though.

Learn2Eel
03-24-2013, 07:08 AM
I just put together a couple dreadknights but I don't know which close combat weapons to give them. Great sword seems popular for fighting off infantry and I know you can just select the doom fist when you need the strength. My thoughts were taking two doom fists and getting an extra attack or taking the daemon hammer and getting ap1 and concussive. Anyone have better luck with certain options? Only focusing on close combat weapons though.

The Greatsword by far. Per the FAQ, it combines with the stock Doom Fist you come with, grants a bonus attack, and whilst granting re-rolls to hit, to-wound resolved at Strength ten. There is literally no reason not to use it unless you don't have the points spare; assemble them with the Greatswords and just tell your opponent if you aren't using/paying for the Greatswords in any given game.
And yes, using a Greatsword still let's you strike at Strength ten, even with the re-rolls!

Wildcard
03-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Yeah, sword all the way. If you are not taking it, you should be spending the points somehow differently in your army.

Best loadout by far for NDK is:Greatsword + Personal Teleporter (+Heavy incinerator if you at all can spare to points to include it). This would make it a solid 230pts (260pts with H.incinerator).

And tactic to use them: In pairs, hunt the heavy armours, enemy commanders and those silly poor non-powerarmor foes in cover to support the rest of your army. Then, if the enemy is about to overwhelm your home objective: BLAM! 30" shunt move right there and 2x heavy incinerators to roast any unit other than large terminator squads. Plus ofc keep the threat of them to the survivors until the enemy forward point capturers are killed.