PDA

View Full Version : Shadowsun: Last of Kiru's Line (Braden Campbell)

gcsmith
03-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Hey everyone, Gcsmith here with my first chat about a Black Library novel. Shadowsun: The last of Kiru's line, by Braden Campbell. Now I will start off by saying I will be doing a video on this for my youtube channel which anyone can find if they want, and I can link here if people want, but I really wanted to get some opinions off on this book quickly for anyone thinking of buying it.

Now as a Tau player I really want to read more about the Tau, and this book's release today was an excuse for just that. At £12 it is quite a small book, but don't let that put you off, it's a wonderful read protected by a lovely hard back cover and should last any avid reader for a long time.

After picking this book up and starting to read, I was hooked and couldn't put it down, Braden's detailed description of the characters when needed helps define the setting and gives great depth. I especially love his attempt at showing how a Native Creature tries to comprehend what happens.

Now to not spoil the plot too much, I will simply say it involves a crash landing and escape from a planet, along the way we delve into a portion of Shadowsun's past as well as looking further into the customs of the Tau, especially the customs involving family.

I do think it needs to be said that Braden's writing about the Tau is spot on to matching the rest of the Tau fluff/lore we have received over the years, showing their efficiency and devotion to the greater good. But it also does a great job at showing them as having a more emotional side that they try to keep in check for the greater good.

Overall this book was a marvelous little read which did a great job at adding more depth to the Tau while managing to keep itself true to the 40k Universe unlike some past attempts *Ahem* Firewarrior *Ahem*.

I would recommend this to any Tau fan.

9/10

EDIT: Forgot to mention it tells us where her trademark fusion blasters come from :D

PrehistoricUFO
03-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Campbell stopped by my local GW yesterday to sign copies of the book. I was there when the doors opened, I'm a Tau player, and just couldn't bring myself to pay $25.00 for a 'novella' published in what looked like size 14 font. I've written culmination essays longer than that brochure.

I'll read it at some point though. Ha ha!

JxKxR
03-24-2013, 10:54 PM
As soon as I heard about this book I couldn't wait to get my hands on it, but now you've convinced me I don't just want it, I NEED IT!!! I wonder when it'll get here.

p.s. could you post the YouTube link, I'd like to check it out.

gcsmith
03-25-2013, 03:56 AM
Campbell stopped by my local GW yesterday to sign copies of the book. I was there when the doors opened, I'm a Tau player, and just couldn't bring myself to pay $25.00 for a 'novella' published in what looked like size 14 font. I've written culmination essays longer than that brochure.

I'll read it at some point though. Ha ha!

Like I said, it's short, but a great read. The reason the book is so expensive I believe, is because of the really high quality cover. It's thick and really well designed. The book will last a lot of reading.

Not saying ur wrong, when I saw how thin it was I almost didn't buy it, but after reading it, and needing something I haven't read a million times before for a short journey soon, I thought it was worth it.

gcsmith
03-27-2013, 05:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZEy47dKNRc

The video is done, although youtube screwed the upload up a bit.

Braden Campbell
03-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Mr. Smith, I'm gald you enjoyed it so much. Thanks for taking the time to review, and for doing so in your posh, British accent. ;)

gcsmith
03-28-2013, 03:23 AM
Mr. Smith, I'm gald you enjoyed it so much. Thanks for taking the time to review, and for doing so in your posh, British accent. ;)

If you're the real Braden Campbell, thanks for writing it, and it's hardly posh, though I guess it is compared to the Scotsman I live around at the moment :D

Psychosplodge
04-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Read it yesterday
It's not worth the £12.50, it's readable, and should be part of a compilation, it's certainly not up to the quality of the Harlequin one.
Also the ending felt rushed, almost here's your word limit.