PDA

View Full Version : New Here...Need Titan Help

jlcoyotem
03-23-2013, 07:27 AM
This is my first post here. After years of wanting one I finally ordered a new Forgeworld Mars Pattern Warhound. Before it arrives I would like to know, from those out there who have built one, what possible pitfalls I could be in for. Been putting together 40K figs for a long time...But never anything this big. Thanks for any help on this.

isotope99
03-23-2013, 07:49 AM
There are a bunch of threads out there for this but in short:

1) Check you've got all the bits and rebag them in the order they're going to be used per the instructions (there may be a few spares)
2)Clean the bits both for flash and that greasy mould lubricant. FW have gotten better on this point I thinkl but still needs scrubbing in warm soapy water.
2) Think about where you are going to magnetise and get some strong magnets ( I went with head, arms, waist)
3) Look online and choose roughly how you're going to pose the legs. If you want something ambitious think about how to base it with enough weight.
4) Think about how you're going to secure the big joints as superglue won't cut it alone. Pinning is most popular though I reinforced with green stuff and that seemed to work OK.
5) Dry fit everything first as you go to make sure the joints don't need enlarging.

Deadlift
03-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Congratulations on your purchase mate. I have never built one myself so cant offer any advice really, but they look gorgeous and intimidating in equal measure. I think most of us aspire to own a Titan at some point. I look forward to seeing some progress pictures.

Capn Stoogey
03-23-2013, 01:18 PM
First of all, congrats! They are expensive but well worth it!

Isotope definitely has the main things to be aware of. I wash all my forgeworld with a mild floor cleaner. It's ever so slightly abrasive which helps to get all the residue off, you really don't want any residue left on there... Wash it in the warm soapy water then rinse in clean warm water. Let dry overnight as the resin can be slightly porous and take on tiny amounts of water, better to be sure. I prime/under coat with army painter or GW spray and have never had a problem. Shake the crap out of the can to mix the paint, let it sit in a bowl of hot tap water for a few minutes then shake it again, you should get a great, smooth result, but test on some sprue or resin "gate" offcuts to be sure.

I use a 2 part epoxy for any big joins, and some nice thick pins, a coat hanger worked well for my Reaver.

As daunting as it may seem at first, they're really not that complicated. The hardest part is getting all the leg sections to sit right for the pose you want. If you take your time and dry fit everything, with blu tac to hold the pose, you should be fine :)

I found this http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/2670070 quite helpful when I did my Warhound, while its a different pattern it's close enough to help you out. I also read this http://www.theinnergeek.net/2008/08/reaver-titan-pt-1.html?m=1
When I did my Reaver and found it quite helpful also, the basic tips and tricks are transferable.

Have fun with it dude. Feel free to message me if you need help with anything.

Enjoy! :)

sangrail777
03-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Use a hair dryer to warm up the parts and bend them into the right shape. This is easy enough.