PDA

View Full Version : Deathwing Landraider Squad Loadout

Whereswaldo
03-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Ok, right now I am playing a full deathwing army that is made up of tactical terminators (with a TH/SS Sergeant to soak hits) 10 man squad with x2 plasma cannons and belial / 1 command squad with CML / 2 squads with CML's. I am currently thinking about picking up a land raider and thinking about what squad to put inside it to get the best use of it - figure i'll drop the command squad or move some other stuff around.

I bounced around the idea of Deathwing Knights but being ap 4 and only being able to smite once a game i'm so so.

I am kind of thinking about running a squad of 4 TH/SS (replacing my squad sergeants with PS/SB) and 1 Heavyflamer / Chainfist (I have the bits lying around). I think adding in the Heavyflamer / Chainfist gives a TH/SS Squad some extra anti-infantry and anti-tank without really damaging the squad's durability and hitting power but I am unsure if it would be effective or not.

Most likely I will have a TDA Libby w/ Divination ridding along with them unsure of which variant of landraider I want to use this moment since my regular matchups are 1/2 horde armies(the redeemer's flamestorm seems like it would rock but .... I will prolly end up with the crusader - going to magnetize both options)

Since I am only going to be playing with a local friendly scene I am not going to use the dakka banner x3 land raiders with power field invu saves (well maybe the land raider invu saves).

To sum it up ....

What are people's thoughts on a assault based squad using

Librarian (Terminator Armor - Divination) or another basic TDA HQ Choice
Deathwing Terminators (4 Thunderhammer & Storm Shield, 1 Chain Fist & Heavy Flamer)
Land Raider Crusader or Redeemer (Multi-Melta, Deathwing Transport) - I'll Magnetize

?

Denzark
03-21-2013, 02:57 AM
One for the army list forum methinks.

Dalleron
03-21-2013, 11:52 PM
If you're going to assault out of the land raider that isn't a godhammer variant, then anything that strikes at Init. 1 is wasting the frag launchers. If that matters to you, then Lightning Claw termies would be better. With a divination libby, they toss out alot of attacks, and even more on the charge. Even hordes should take lots of casualties.

A godhammer will give you some long range AT if you feel you need it, and assaulting out of it with powerfists and TH/SS won't lose by doing so.

Whereswaldo
03-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Think im going to be trying it out with a Land Raider Crusader with a squad of 5 Deathwing Knights and a Libby with Divination .... should be interesting. My TH/SS Terminators are modeled from the DWK kit and the only difference is the actual hammers. The people I play with said they didnt care if I subbed them for DWK or TH/SS Terminators as long as I stated so before the game started.

So i'll prolly end up trying the LRC with DWK / Libby and 4 TH/SS 1CF/HF & Libby variants.

Magus
03-27-2013, 09:46 AM
I'd be cool with using the unit interchangeably too. It joust make sense... And looks better too.

Power Klawz
03-27-2013, 03:35 PM
My favorite things to put in land raiders are lightning claws. Deathwing knights are pretty great against everything except other loyalist marines. I think they'd make a fine choice as well since hanging them out to dry with a deep strike can be painful, and footslogging them can be moreso.

So basically if you're looking to grind through a bunch of MEQ I'd suggest lightning claws, anything harder and go with the thunderhammers and stormshields. Anything lighter or chaos flavored and go with the knights. (Also if you run into deathstar units often enough the knights can do a pretty good job of neutering anything when they smite, and if your opponent has invested a substantial portion of his points in a single unit all you really need is that one turn.)