PDA

View Full Version : Best Night Lord army builds

lobo60
03-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Hey guys, I love the night lords and all their mystique and I decided to build an army not to long ago.
They have proven pretty strng especially with the addition of my forgefiend(who is great at mopping up mobs of soldiers.

So I was wondering what do you guys think the best night lords themed army would look like?

This is mine:
1 night lords warlord (powerfist, and combi bolter)
1 chaos sorcerer(gave mine a chain halberd in honor of sevetar, a bolter and tzeetch powers)
1st squad of csm(10 men, champion with power sword and plasma pistol, 2 flamers and the rest chain swords and bolt pistols) assigned to a rhino
2nd squad of csm(10 men, champion with power sword, 1 plasma gun, 1 melta) rhino as well
3rd squad of csm(10 men, champion power fist, missle launcher(1), lascannon(1) and banner of slaneesh)
1Chosen Squad(6)(sgt power fist, melta bombs, and relic bolter. 1 power axe, 1 melta, 1 lightning claw.)
1terminator/Atramenter squad(5)(reaper auto cannon, champion with power maul)
1 warp talon squad
1raptor squad(champion power sword)
1pred annihilater
1helbrute(multi melta, powerfist)
1forgefied(hades autocannons (2)

Denzark
03-20-2013, 02:59 PM
This is one for the Army List forum.

lobo60
03-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Ahh yeah, I meant to post it there :-!

Tyrendian
03-20-2013, 03:09 PM
I personally never found tanks to be too fitting for NL... simply waaay too loud and clumsy to be good terror weapons :)
the Helbrute and Forgefiend are another matter, but I don't like them very much either thematically - again too loud and flashy... for fire support (which you'll need on the table admittedly...) I would probably go Oblits... they've got the Terror factor NL want... beside that, what's more terrifying than a Heldrake or two? Although those are again not all that sneaky, so that would be a matter of preference...

jgebi
03-20-2013, 03:17 PM
how are tanks not made for terror? Their big, most guns do **** all and they are covered in screaming daemons

lobo60
03-20-2013, 04:07 PM
I like the Heldrake and I am probably including that soon. I went with the pred. because, I love the heavy support it offers against enemy armor. but as theme goes. definitely a loud group but my alternative would be either Obliterators or Havocs but, I get the mobility with the pred. maybe some Furries though? tie up enemies long enough so my bad boys can get in there.

Daemonette666
03-20-2013, 05:41 PM
I do believe that the Banner of Excess (Slaanesh) can only be taken by squads with the Mark of Slaanesh. Also the 3rd squad has 2 heavy weapons, the codex only allows for 1 heavy weapon per squad. The rest of the list is legal as far as I can tell.

I have to let you know that I have found the Icon of Excess is almost useless on toughness 4 Noise Marines and Slaanesh marked Chaos Space Marines. The amount of times I have had the squad wiped out by Strength 8 Large Blast or blast AP 3 weapons, or Terminators with TH/SS combo in close combat is unbelievable. I have found a horde or 2 of 30 or more unmarked Cultists can hold an enemy unit up and even wear them down with high number of attacks from 4 point models.

It might not fit your Night Lords fluff, but it does work. I would also take a squad of 20 Chaos Marines to make the enemy worried, and add another unit or 2 of Raptors, and a Helldrake or 2.

lobo60
03-20-2013, 09:01 PM
I do believe that the Banner of Excess (Slaanesh) can only be taken by squads with the Mark of Slaanesh. Also the 3rd squad has 2 heavy weapons, the codex only allows for 1 heavy weapon per squad. The rest of the list is legal as far as I can tell.

I have to let you know that I have found the Icon of Excess is almost useless on toughness 4 Noise Marines and Slaanesh marked Chaos Space Marines. The amount of times I have had the squad wiped out by Strength 8 Large Blast or blast AP 3 weapons, or Terminators with TH/SS combo in close combat is unbelievable. I have found a horde or 2 of 30 or more unmarked Cultists can hold an enemy unit up and even wear them down with high number of attacks from 4 point models.

It might not fit your Night Lords fluff, but it does work. I would also take a squad of 20 Chaos Marines to make the enemy worried, and add another unit or 2 of Raptors, and a Helldrake or 2.

Thank you! I need to adjust asap lol. but yea a mob of unmarked cultist is a good idea for CSM in general.

lobo60
03-21-2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the catch, I appreciate it. Yea, I'm probably going to add a Heldrake and another raptor squad, maybe a bike squad too.