PDA

View Full Version : Named character

pnkfld7892
03-19-2013, 09:56 PM
When you use a named character is your army is it considered to be that exact character, or can it be considered to be your army's equivalent of that named character.

I.E. I have a fast attack based C:SM army and I want to use Shrike but I don't want to call him Shrike, I want him to be my own chapter's equivalent to a stealthy close combat master. Is this kosher?

Nabterayl
03-19-2013, 10:17 PM
Yes, absolutely. This is precisely how we're supposed to represent successor chapters to the Raven Guard, Imperial Fists, White Scars, etc. In 5th edition, Games Workshop had a definite shift in philosophy towards named characters, away from having them represent literally only the named character and towards having them represent anybody the player felt fit with their rules.

Learn2Eel
03-19-2013, 10:17 PM
Yes, that's perfectly fine. Codex: Space Marines even encourages you to openly use the rules for the special characters and make them your own 'unique' character with their own identity and traits. I have a converted Chaos Lord that I use as Abaddon - I modeled him to have a Slaaneshi-Daemon Blade and a special lightning claw with an attached bolter. Aside from that, he's very much my own creation and looks far more imposing than GW's model - he's the leader of my Faithless warband, and is supposed to be 'Arkos reborn'. Come up with your own interesting fluff/model to justify using those rules, and all should be a-ok!