PDA

View Full Version : Simcity related?

Psychosplodge
03-19-2013, 04:24 AM
EA ceo resigns (http://www.ea.com/news/from-john?ClickID=asononzw9va9ppwwzs05lop0yoakywpnssrn)

Wolfshade
03-19-2013, 04:29 AM
Poor results = Jump before you are pushed.

"...are number one in the fastest growing segment, mobile, with incredible games like The Simpsons: Tapped Out, Real Racing 3, Bejeweled, SCRABBLE and Plants v. Zombies."

Out of that list I've only played Plants v Zombies and that was while it was PopCap, before the EA take over...

Quite worrying from that list, The Simpson - is a franchise of someone elses work as is Scrabble, Plants vs Zombies and Bejeweled are PopCap creations, leaving Real Racing 3 a sequel as a highlight. Worrying times indeed.

Psychosplodge
03-19-2013, 04:32 AM
So the success of mass effect, and whichever their fps is, has been over exaggerated?

Wolfshade
03-19-2013, 04:39 AM
Either that or they are not part of teh CEO's strategic vision?

Psychosplodge
03-19-2013, 04:45 AM
Which seems short sighted... you only need to reskin the fps and sell another 10million units...

eldargal
03-19-2013, 04:45 AM
Well, credit to him for accepting responsibility. *glares at bankers*

Mass Effect was a success, as were a number of other games but there have been problems as well. But the only one I'm really familiar with is SWTOR, which while not a failure was more of a 'modest success after considerable expense' rather than the 'raging success golden goose' that they hoped. So it is probably related to a bunch of things rather than any one thing. Also I know SimCity has had launch issues but I think it sold fairly well.

Wolfshade
03-19-2013, 04:57 AM
Sold very well, that was half the issue, more players than they anticipated.

I am unashamed to say I want it!

eldargal
03-19-2013, 05:08 AM
Never really cared for Sim City myself. Quite liked the Greco-Roman versions Impressions Games made ages ago though.

Psychosplodge
03-19-2013, 05:25 AM
I am unashamed to say I want it!

I don't because it's trying to force you to be social, among other things, your city depends on the people next to you too much.

Also

It’s a genuinely revolting vision of the future, of a games industry that treats its players as enemies to be bullied and manipulated – not customers to be entertained and attended to. If SimCity really was a city we’d realise we weren’t welcome and move out immediately.

Wolfshade
03-19-2013, 06:14 AM
I don't because it's trying to force you to be social, among other things, your city depends on the people next to you too much.

Also

You can play in closed regions, which is what I support as I don't like online gaming, if I want to game with people I shall meet them in person and play with them in person, like playing Arkham or table top wargames...

Psychosplodge
03-19-2013, 06:50 AM
yeah but you have to keep jumping between regions. It's a poorly designed ballache.