PDA

View Full Version : Destroyer unit size. All or nothing?

Sonikgav
03-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Im almost finished building my Necron army but somethings come up thats interesting me.

Im thinking about adding a DoomsDay Ark to add the Heavy threat my Annihilation Barges cant quite provide. To squeeze it in though i have to free up some points.

The only place I can see points coming from currently is the pair of Destroyer units I have. Dropping 4 is enough (plus 15 I can skim off elsewhere) to get the Ark in but do Destroyers work as units of 3 or should I drop 1 unit whole and keep the other full strength?

Mr Mystery
03-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Very subjective!

A unit of three has its uses, such as side armour barrages, or cutting a chunk out of MEQ units. But of course they lack resilience.

I say try it. It's the only way to see if the pro's outweigh the 'crons :p

Maelstorm
03-15-2013, 02:40 PM
I'll cut and paste what I put together under another heading for >Deadlift.

I've taken 2 Doomsday Arks to a couple of games and had very-very disappointing results. A Ghost Ark gets just 1 dice roll per turn to hit the enemy with 66% chance of scatter. If you have to reposition the unit you can only move 6" and then the range, strength and blast size drops.

================================================

For the same or less points, with Preferred Enemy: Everything! I'd use standard Destroyers instead of Wraiths or Acanthrites every time. A unit of 5 Destroyers will take down 6-8 Space Marines (Strength 5, AP 3, Assault 2) every turn at 24-36" away (12" jump, 24" shooting) and Destroyers get Reanimation Protocols, Wraiths and Acanthrites do not. Denying 3+ armor saves is a huge bonus against most armies. Against Toughness 4 models Destroyers only miss on a 2 (rerolling 1's) and wound on a 3+ (rerolling 1's). The key to using them is to keep them 24" away from massed return fire. I use 2 units of 5 and effectively neuter 2 Space Marine scoring units every turn. Why allow the enemy to bog you down in CC and hit you back twice per game turn when you can eliminate 60-80% of a scoring unit from range and significantly reduce return attacks from range. I never count on Wraiths Rending to put down models.

The new Ravenwing got you down? Destoyers don't care if bikes are Toughness 5 (Strength 5, AP 3, Assault 2), A unit of Destroyers will eliminate 5 bikes every turn by denying the 3+ armor save. Tau Jump-shoot-Jump annoying you? Jump your Destoyers 12" to get LOS to them and eliminate the whole unit in 1 round. The Destroyers Mobility and AP3 weapon opens up options that Wraiths cannot match.

If You're feeling brave - shoot a unit of 10 Marines with 5 Destroyers, eliminating 6-8 models then Assault the remaining 2-4 models with the same 5 Destroyers (Strength 5, AP 3, Assault 2) getting Hammer of Wrath and Preferred Enemy: Everything! Should put the remaining models down (not automatic, as the Marines will get their 3+ saves in CC).

Necron Tactical note:
If you are setting up a multi-objective game, place board central objectives in the open - denying cover saves to the enemy. Prime targets for your Destroyers to wipe out entire units. The 5+ RP on your Necron scoring troops gives you the equivelent of FNP and/or Cover on the same "out in the open" objectives. Add a bog-standard Lord with an Orb (4+ RP) and Immortals become the equivelent of Terminators to remove from an exposed objective.

Hope this helps!

Sonikgav
03-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Yeah im currently running 2 x5 Destroyers and 6 Wraiths as a Bodyguard for a Destroyer Lord.

Im just thinking a S9 AP1 Pie Plate sat on the back line is...
A. Something for my opponent to worry about moving his units.
B. A Further Target for Anti-Armor to pull fire away from my Annihilation Barges and Flyers
C. A Massive Kill Shot vs larger Hordes.

Ill give it an experiment i suppose, or just keep the Barge for if i ever go up to 2k

Maelstorm
03-15-2013, 03:20 PM
In the Fast Attack slot I run 5 Destroyers, 5 Tomb Blades (Particle Beamers, Nebuloscopes) and 5 to 7 Scarabs.

In the Heavy Support Slot I run 2 to 3 Annihilation Barges

I've put the Wraiths on the shelf for now.

Maelstorm
03-15-2013, 03:38 PM
For amusing fun and a few more points, try the Columbian hit squad instead!

I posted this unit on BOLS about about a week after the Necron Codex came out - It was hotly debated whether or not the Cryptek was able to use the Wounds on a 2+ from the Deathmarks "Hunters from Hyperspace" rule. GW's FAQ confirmed it... :)

225 points.
5 Deathmarks
. . Night Scythe
Harbinger of Despair (Abyssal Staff, Strength 8, AP1)

Fly in up to 24", drop the unit in front of a gaggle of nasties, watch the nasties melt...

You can increase their effectiveness by adding a second Harbinger of Despair for 30 points.

If you're really mean you can have up to 3 of these units in your list...

Sonikgav
03-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Yeah yeah, we all know about the 'Neural Shredder' trick and any list involving those would be completely different to my list since i dont even run an Overlord for a Court.

Im pretty much set in my list right now. Its all mobility but im not convinced about Tomb Blades. The S6 Blasts are tempting but ive picked the better AP of the Destroyers.

As for the Wraiths theyre pretty sturdy with that 3+ Inv and multiple wounds to make sure my Destroyer Lord reaches what he wants. Hopefully every now and then ill manage to get outflanking on them with the Warlord trait. Should be fun.

Maelstorm
03-15-2013, 04:52 PM
I always lose 1 or 2 Wraiths on the way in, toughness 4 is their weakpoint - everything on the table can wound them reliably and they can be doubled-out with strength 8 weapons. Losing even 1 Wraith significantly reduces the units effectiveness.

As a means for getting the nasty Destroyer Lord into the enemy lines, the Wraiths rock!

skoffs
03-16-2013, 08:32 AM
try the Columbian hit squad instead!

225 points.
5 Deathmarks
. . Night Scythe
Harbinger of Despair ...
"Columbian" hit squad?
Why Columbian?
Is the old "Death & Despair squad" moniker not used around these parts?
(I always thought that one made more sense, what with them being DEATHmarks and a Harbinger of DESPAIR in the same squad... which caused death and despair)
*shrug*