View Full Version : (1850) Chaos Space Marines w/Daemon Allies

Caitsidhe
03-15-2013, 08:27 AM
I'm thinking about trying out the following list:

Fortification:
Aegis Defense Line w/Quad Gun 100pts

PRIMARY DETACHMENT

HQs:
Chaos Lord w/Mark of Nurgle, Burning Brand, GIft of Mutation, Veteran of the Long War (Warlord) 125pts
Daemon Prince of Nurgle w/Black Mace, Combat Familiar, Spell Familiar, Power Armor, Wings, and a Mastery-3 Psyker. 370pts

Troops:
(08) Plague Marines, Veterans of the Long War with two Melta Guns. Champion has Powerfist and Combi-Melta. Rhino w/Extra Armor and Dirge Caster. 330pts
(09) Plague Marines, Veterans of the Long War with two Melta Guns. Champion has Powerfist and Combi-Melta. Rhino w/Extra Armor and Dirge Caster. 330pts

Heavy Support:
(1) Mark of Nurgle Obliterator 76pts

ALLIED DETACHMENT

HQ:
Daemon Prince of Nurgle w/Wings, Warpforged Armor 50pts of Gifts (Exalted and Greater) and a Mastery-3 Psyker. 345pts

Troops:
(1) Unit of Nurglings 45pts

The list is designed as an "all comer" type with the Chaos Daemons: Daemon Prince and Nurglings providing a surprising amount of flexibility. The Exalted Gift can always default to the Hellforged Artifact and thus allow choice based on the opponent and scenario. Against Daemons you would want the Grimoire for example, while in some objective based scenarios you could offset the low number of scoring units by picking the Portaglyph. Against other Daemon Princes the Gloryseeker sword would probably give you the Initiative your own DP needs to go first and do some Instant Death with via Smash. Two Daemon Princes allow you excellent AP-2 damage infliction. The fact that they are Nurgle (and winged) means you can get great cover saves and move around as you need. The Obliterators are split up for maximum targets, i.e. if you need to port them in and crack cans or split assault cannon fire. The Chaos Lord makes the Plague Marines scoring and provides another decent melee body as well as the delivery system for the Burning Brand. Both Rhinos have Dirge Casters and their primary duty is to shoot the Plague Marines forward as fast as possible AND prevent overwatch on the Daemon Princes as they assault as early as possible. The Psyker abilities are self evident. The Nurglings can hide behind the Aegis invisible and shooting the Quad Gun until such time as something better shows up. My original Nurglings are impossible to see behind the wall.

Thoughts or suggestions?

DrLove42
03-15-2013, 08:41 AM
2 scoring units in 1850 list. That's the weakness.

The Black Mace is IMO overrated. Other than that I like the marine side (maybe mix melta for plasma, but personal opinion).

Deamon side....lose the DP. Take a Herald (of Nurgle) and some plaguebearers. Maybe a Soul Grinder (of Nurgle) to give some more firepower.

Caitsidhe
03-15-2013, 10:15 AM
2 scoring units in 1850 list. That's the weakness.

The Black Mace is IMO overrated. Other than that I like the marine side (maybe mix melta for plasma, but personal opinion).

Deamon side....lose the DP. Take a Herald (of Nurgle) and some plaguebearers. Maybe a Soul Grinder (of Nurgle) to give some more firepower.

I've been running a straight CSM version of this list which has two (3) man units of Obliterators and a minimum unit of CSM to man the Aegis Line (used it last tournament in fact) and did very well (bought my Daemons book with the Prize Support among other things in fact). That version has three scoring units, but effectively this one can have that also simply by taking the Portaglyph should it become required. I haven't found (at least not at 1850 and less) having fewer scoring units to be too large an issue.

My experience with the Black Mace + Daemon Prince has been the opposite. I can't sing the accolades of the model enough. Still, I'll probably create a variation with your suggestions for testing. My original idea was simply to use combination to get a Soul Grinder in, i.e. one cheap scoring unit (clearly not Nurglings) and a Soul Grinder. However, I've found the flexibility of the Daemon Princes to be very good as are the Obliterators and I ended up trashing the list after making it.

In the end it is hard to walk away from having those flying Nurgle Princes. I tend to get such a good return on them.