PDA

View Full Version : Worst WAAC / Competitive Ness

DrLove42
03-14-2013, 08:53 AM
So reading the comments on another troll inducing BBF supreme cheese spam Waac post on the front page made me think

What is the worst WAAC or least friendly competitve ness you've ever encountered?

Not just "this guy spammed screamers" or "these allies make no sense" but anything else you can think of

Mine comes from 5th ed.

Went to a comp. 5 guys from the same club turned up with 5 identical Necron lists. When they got to the top table and faced each other, they refused to advance on each other. They knew that given ranges and deployment, the first person to move forward would be out of range. But if they moved forward they would be in range of their opponent in the enemy turn.

So they deployed everything and sat still,. Didn't move a model for 7 turns. Declared it a draw and finished their round in less than 15 minutes, and waited 2 hours for everyone else.

The 5 guys came 1st, 2nd, 3rd 5th and 7th overall.

OrksOrksOrks
03-14-2013, 10:14 AM
To me the worst Competitive thing I've ever see is Intentional Draw in a "friendly" local tournament, ID comes, as far as I can see, from the M:tG world, where 2 oppunents, rather than play each other and give away their stratergies and stuff, will agree to draw, for a point each, in certain circumstances, this can be beneficial. Anyway, 2 players were arranging their match for the week and realised that if they drew, then they'd both advance to the next round, rather than play the game at all, they intentionally drew the game, meaning they both advanced, when really, its most likely one of them would have lost (this was 6th) and wouldn't have gone through, allowing another player, who;d played all thier matches, to get to the finals.

This seems so utterly against the spirit of the game that it boggles the mind!

Demonus
03-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Yep those are the type of people as the tourney organizer I would award 0 pts and not invite them back.

YorkNecromancer
03-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Went to a comp. 5 guys from the same club turned up with 5 identical Necron lists. When they got to the top table and faced each other, they refused to advance on each other. They knew that given ranges and deployment, the first person to move forward would be out of range. But if they moved forward they would be in range of their opponent in the enemy turn.

So they deployed everything and sat still,. Didn't move a model for 7 turns. Declared it a draw and finished their round in less than 15 minutes, and waited 2 hours for everyone else.

Sounds like UFC 5, Gracie vs. Shamrock. Both men had beaten each other once, and so for the deciding match, neither wanted to make a move. The fight was basically five minutes of two rage-filled hate sacks hugging each other. Literally nothing happened. The crowd weren't pleased.

Mr Mystery
03-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Yep those are the type of people as the tourney organizer I would award 0 pts and not invite them back.

Yep. When your desire to win drives you to not actually play the bloody game, you're taking it all too seriously.

For me? Team Tactics in team events. Want me to play for a draw, so you get a softer opponent and a more likely win? Suck 'em, they're here all night. Not particularly competitive minded in my hobby, but once I'm deployed, I'm aiming to win the game, and anyone expecting me to throw it for their benefit is going to be disappointed!

SotonShades
03-14-2013, 04:53 PM
I would say mine, but the good Doctor all ready said it. Wasn't exactly a pleasant atmosphere in that room at the end of the day. At the time, there wasn't a model for the Triarch Stalker, so there were several models being used. Despite being a walker, most of the models used were smaller than a Dreadnought, one guy even had his models on 40mm bases despite the fact they would have fitted on 25mm bases. Of course, now we know how big a Triarch Stalker really is...

JMichael
03-14-2013, 05:19 PM
We had a WAAC player who didn't hide the fact that he looked to exploit holes in the rules. He was also a bit of a bully and most players just backed down rather than escalate the arguing (cause most of us were mature!).

Our store had a Spearhead tourney with no Super Heavies allowed. Well he showed up with a shadowsword and complained so much that they allowed it.
A lot of new players showed up for the event. This guy didn't have the rules for the Shadowsword and talked his opponents into a 'no terrain' table!
I wasn't going to attend, but the TO called me up and invited me to show up with my Cobra II tank to take him down.

I did just that! I put a mountain the center of the table, his Shadow sword got 1 shot off (that missed) and he didn't score a single Kill Point on me!
He was also playing Vendetta's with as having Fire Points, until I pointed out they didn't have them!

My next 2 opponents forfieted just so I would win!

Unfortunately, the WAAC player went and bit#$ed to the store manager and bullied him into giving him a new GW box (which is what 1st place was).
Fortunately he doesn't come around anymore...though he tells people it's because no one could beat him and he was bored. HA!

Wolfshade
03-14-2013, 05:28 PM
A friend of mine does the two classics "pick up the hits" and the measure from the front to back.

Phototoxin
03-14-2013, 06:30 PM
I have ID-ed in an MtG tournament before. The reality is that when you've won 2-0 twice and check the scores it's in both of your interests to ID and then make the top-8 rather than risk not getting in, if you win you'll be in the top 8 but with arguably an easier opponent for the 1st round, but that doesn't out-weigh not being in the top 8.
Also keep in mind that MtG is hyper competitive at that level and there is no such thing as sportsmanship really. You can be DQed for 'unsportsmanlike conduct' but that's basically cheating or being a total male chicken
FFS even OTHER players (as in those not in your actual game) are out to get you.
Example; playing a legacy qualifier, played against my 2nd dredge deck (basically its slow boring and tedious to play against, you usually auto-loose the first round and have to sideboard in while they counter side board you with their own which you've sideboarded to counter but *head asplodes*) Anyway for this format the order of the discard pile is argueably important since theres a few rarely used but legal cards which effect the top-most or bottom-most card in the graveyard. So add keeping everything in order while the dredge player is picking through his graveyard to do his thing and it gets slighlty more tedious.
Thankfully my opponent was nice, here for a laugh not too serious like myself, so he asks if it matters to me if order is important, I say no as I don't have anything that cares about order (not exactly a big secret) and our games went diligently and were decent. Until wandering tosspot appears starts nerdraging about the order. To which I reply - we've talked about it, I'm ok with it, he's ok with it and can WE play OUR game please?'

The question is WHY? The more competitive events of MtG (and sometimes 40k) that I see the more I pity the human condition.

And yet for all the tragic the gathering, go to a pre-release and its totally laid back in my experience. Everyones playing with new cards and it's not the be all and end all.

TLDR; mtg players can be scary.

Phototoxin
03-14-2013, 06:32 PM
A friend of mine does the two classics "pick up the hits" and the measure from the front to back.

Front to back is inexcusable - the rule book specifically says not to do it.

Pick up the hits is understandable as that's what it says to do, however it is more sensible that you pick out misses so that any errors are in your opponents favour.

Also your post count is 6,666 which is cool

Learn2Eel
03-14-2013, 06:38 PM
I haven't seen anything nearly as bad as what you guys do, though I do know some of the types that take cheesy spam armies against new players.

The most cheesy army list I came up against was from a tournament player, but he was a good man and hardly a WAAC player. He had an incredibly deadly Grey Knights army that no-one could deal with, though he was up front about it and was very open to people that he would likely win. In essence, a highly competitive player, but a nice person. Those kinds of people don't bother me whatsoever.

Wolfshade
03-15-2013, 03:10 AM
Also your post count is 6,666 which is cool

Should have done something special for it :/

Mr Mystery
03-15-2013, 04:06 AM
Though it is funny when you see someone get their comeuppance.

Best I saw was against a Beastman player. Guy was a total pain to play. Argued *everything*. Rolled his dice and scooped them up, somehow in the same motion. Seriously. You knew they'd been rolled, you heard it, but no chance of seeing what the results were. Rules lawyered, and generally a pretty obnoxious opponent. And god help you if you were winning. Girly strops the order of the day.

And one day, a fellow gamer had had enough of the rules being bent into odd interpretations, but only to suit one side, and pulled off a hilarious, and utterly rules legal moved. Declared a Terror causing charge, even though the 6" Dwarven charge range was oh....36" or so out of range.... Checked the rules...... Yep. That's one Terror test. One Terror test promptly failed and the deathstar unit legged it off the board.

Oh beardy goon player, why you so sad?

nurglez
03-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Most WAAC army I played was an epidemius list with ork allies, and when I say ork allies I mean a naked big mek and grots.

Deployed at the back, behind an aegis, first turn Epi drops down and fails to kill any grots! My first turn my 2 DK's with heavy incinerators and personal teleporters rush forward and wipe out the grots... First blood plus 2 kill points :D

At the start of 6th my local GW played a 500 point mini tournament, a GK player was there with a rhino bought to transport his assassin (Oh I thought you could buy them on their own), and of course he was using the +1 for psykers assassin (I forget the name), and counting psyker henchmen as +1 shot per model instead of unit(so yes, shot me with a 10+ shot str 5 ap 2 weapon), I played the game his rules, and still managed to beat him (play the mission, was relic), but had a very sour taste in my mouth after that game.

HERO
03-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Try to beat this one guys:

I once had a guy measure his forearm and then placed it around the table to "get a better look" at guess-ranging his Stonethrowers (WHFB).

BatMarine
03-17-2013, 05:39 AM
We had a WAAC player who didn't hide the fact that he looked to exploit holes in the rules. He was also a bit of a bully and most players just backed down rather than escalate the arguing (cause most of us were mature!).

Our store had a Spearhead tourney with no Super Heavies allowed. Well he showed up with a shadowsword and complained so much that they allowed it.
A lot of new players showed up for the event. This guy didn't have the rules for the Shadowsword and talked his opponents into a 'no terrain' table!
I wasn't going to attend, but the TO called me up and invited me to show up with my Cobra II tank to take him down.

I did just that! I put a mountain the center of the table, his Shadow sword got 1 shot off (that missed) and he didn't score a single Kill Point on me!
He was also playing Vendetta's with as having Fire Points, until I pointed out they didn't have them!

My next 2 opponents forfieted just so I would win!

Unfortunately, the WAAC player went and bit#$ed to the store manager and bullied him into giving him a new GW box (which is what 1st place was).
Fortunately he doesn't come around anymore...though he tells people it's because no one could beat him and he was bored. HA!

Unfortunately I have to say that the problem was the staff. If someone's unwilling to play by the tournament rules, especially with a reputation like that, the staff quite seriously cannot be allowed to acquiesce to this guy. The guy sounds a lot like this guy that we had at my store, but he moved out of town.

Honestly the guy sounds like a waste of space, but they weren't at all the problem with that tournament day, you should have had a real talk with the staff to stop them from indulging a child.

Fortunately my staff (and veteran players) are all effin Giants so I don't have to worry about that at my flgs