PDA

View Full Version : Zero Initiative

voidrunner
03-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Can you attack if your Initiative has been reduced to zero? Fiends of Slaanesh - Soporific Musk reduces Initiative of all model in a unit charged by 5. The HTH combat rules state you count down from 10 to 1. There is no phase for being at zero. The rules for zero level abilities don't mention the issue but if your WS is zero you are hit automatically. If your attacks are zero you may not make attacks but you can still defend yourself.

Nabterayl
03-13-2013, 06:26 PM
I don't have the codex, but I'd be inclined to say no for the reason you give. Can you quote the relevant rule so we're all sure we're on the same page?

Wolfshade
03-13-2013, 06:33 PM
As is common, I would agree with Nabterayl.

I imagine this would be FAQ for clarification.

After all the wording of the initiative steps does say as you point out work from 10 to 1, so 0 never strikes

Nabterayl
03-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Okay, got a look at it ... the rule in question is "All models in a unit that is successfully charged by one or more units of Fiends suffer a -5 penalty to their Initiative until the end of that Assault phase." I note that there are other units in the codex with similar abilities - for instance, dropping Weapon Skill by 5, which unequivocally would mean that the affected model(s) cannot strike blows. So I'd say yes, Soporific Musk can reduce Initiative to 0, and no, a model with Initiative 0 cannot strike blows.

Archon Charybdis
03-13-2013, 08:49 PM
The BYB FAQ changes the relevant "10 to 1" text. It now says "starting with the highest and ending with the lowest" which, barring a specific prohibition on I0 models attacking would allow for them to attack still.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3030001a_40K_RULEBOOK_v1.3_FEBRUARY13.pdf

Nabterayl
03-13-2013, 10:23 PM
A good catch. I concur. That changes my answer to I0 models attacking, just after I1.

DrLove42
03-14-2013, 03:58 AM
It would have to be count as I1 or go after I1. Otherwise a unit of fiends would be unkillable in combat by anyone who isn't I6 (not many)

Slacker
03-14-2013, 10:03 AM
I would expect to see this get an errata to include a "to a minimum of 1" stipulation like other rules of its kind once the FAQ comes around.

Nabterayl
03-14-2013, 10:55 AM
It would have to be count as I1 or go after I1. Otherwise a unit of fiends would be unkillable in combat by anyone who isn't I6 (not many)
Well, Soporific Musk only works if they charge you. To be sure, not getting to attack at all on the first turn after getting charged would be totally devastating, but there are ways around it. Plenty of units (like everything in Codex: Orks) is only really dangerous if they get the charge.

Tynskel
03-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Hmmmm... All I can find in the rulebook is that a stat cannot go below 0.
There is nothing under initiative that prevents a model from fighting if at I0.

voidrunner
03-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks for all the feedback to the issue.