PDA

View Full Version : Demonic Gift Help wanted!

White Tiger88
03-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Well guys i am stuck trying to figure out the best set up for Demonic gifts on my Keeper of secrets and Demon Princes, Can anyone make some suggestions? Everything is slaanesh so far i am thinking

-1 Greater & 1 Exulted on my Keeper of Secrets

-2 Greater Rewards Demon Prince

any suggestions guys?

Vindur
03-10-2013, 02:13 AM
Whats the thought process behind the gifts?
what else do they have

SeismicGhost
03-18-2013, 08:23 AM
The Exalted Rewards are really quite good, while the Greater Rewards seem more streamlines for a monstrous creature.
That being said, in most games that I've played, I've gone with one Exalted and one Greater for all of my Greater Daemons and Daemon Princes.

...Not that it's ever mattered, mind you. I haven't had any of them go more than one round in close combat or survived long enough to use a gift that isn't close combat related. I've had my Keeper of Secrets blasted off of the table on the first turn by the warp storm, then use Warp Tether (a decent exalted gift) to warp back in - only to scatter on to some terrain and get a deep strike mishap roll of one. Most of my Daemon Princes drop to instant death from other monstrous creatures using smash attacks in the first round of CC.

Really it depends on what kind of mission you've rolled.
Last night we played Purge The Alien. Foolishly I had bought a bunch of Heralds for my army list before knowing what mission we were playing, so every unit of mine that my opponent killed counted for 2 victory points, so they wound up being hunted down before they could use ANY of their gifts. I had a Herald of Slaanesh get a couple hits off with a Greater Etherblade and kill two Hormagaunts... so I guess that was okay.
I ended up getting tabled with a final score of 11 - 6 against.

My advice - Only buy gifts for Monstrous Creatures with a toughness of 6 or higher (ie, greater daemons) and then I'd say greater rewards are a better choice. The exalted rewards are great abilities, but they're quirky and you might not ever have a chance to use them - while most greater rewards provide a great buff for a monstrous creature (Unless you roll Unbreakable Hide or take a Greater Etherblade or something silly, which effectively does nothing assuming that you've spent the points on options to make your monster worth taking.)

Also, for the record, if you like winning, don't fight Tyranids. All of their psykers have LD of 10, and if you're within 12" of them you will not make a single psychic roll. They were a psychic horde before it was cool, and they do it much better because they can actually choose their equipment before the battle starts.