PDA

View Full Version : Bloodcrushers vs Seeker Chariots

YorkNecromancer
03-09-2013, 02:58 PM
So I've finally sat and properly read the Daemons Codex, and as I never read the old one, I found it interesting. The thing that gets me is the difference between Bloodcrushers and Seeker Chariots.

Basically, Seeker Chariots are tougher, faster, do WAY more hits in Assault and for fewer points. Bloodcrushers by comparison have a terrible statline, no armour, and cost more points!

I literally don't get it. The only edge Bloodcrushers have is that they can be taken in units of nine, plus AP3 attacks, but comparing a roughly points equivelant unit, 3 Seeker Chariots will do an absurd number of attacks. There seems to be no reason to take Bloodcrushers at all. Which annoys me, as the models are superb, and I think the Seeker Chariots just look awful.

The rest of the Codex seems fine, but I just don't get the disparity. Are there some army synergies I'm missing or not?

Learn2Eel
03-09-2013, 06:37 PM
They have a bit of a different role in the army; Bloodcrushers are there as your fast-moving icon bearers for Bloodletters and Daemonettes to deep-strike down, as well as butchering squads if they can whilst preventing them from shooting the meaty Troops. Seeker Chariots are good on the charge and very cheap, though they are mostly distraction units intended to block enemies and force them to fire at the chariots which, given they cost almost nothing, is a great boon for you. Separate roles in the army, the better comparison for Bloodcrushers would be regular Seekers of Slaanesh - one of the other fast moving cavalry units in the codex. Whilst Seekers are certainly less durable, they are far cheaper and less prone to instant death weapons that deny the Bloodcrushers' high wound advantage. They are also quicker and more versatile, being able to put out enough attacks to shred entire squads - or vehicles - before they get a chance to strike back meaningfully.

memnarch_129
03-09-2013, 10:55 PM
They have a bit of a different role in the army; Bloodcrushers are there as your fast-moving icon bearers for Bloodletters and Daemonettes to deep-strike down, as well as butchering squads if they can whilst preventing them from shooting the meaty Troops. Seeker Chariots are good on the charge and very cheap, though they are mostly distraction units intended to block enemies and force them to fire at the chariots which, given they cost almost nothing, is a great boon for you. Separate roles in the army, the better comparison for Bloodcrushers would be regular Seekers of Slaanesh - one of the other fast moving cavalry units in the codex. Whilst Seekers are certainly less durable, they are far cheaper and less prone to instant death weapons that deny the Bloodcrushers' high wound advantage. They are also quicker and more versatile, being able to put out enough attacks to shred entire squads - or vehicles - before they get a chance to strike back meaningfully.

Actually the best thing to compare to Bloodcrushers as they are in a similiar slot and points frame to the Bloodcrushers are the Fiends of Slaanesh. Stat wise the Fiend is a little lacking when compared to the Crushers. But when you look at Disruptive Song and Soporifice Musk, which gives them an effective I11 against most enemies, they begin to keep up or slightly pull ahead in usefullnes. Now add on top of that the Daemon of Slaanesh extras, Rending/Fleet/ Extra 3" on your run, and the Fiends really start to pull away from the Crushers, and the Fiends are 10 points cheaper per model than the Crusher. Where the Crusher is better is that they are able to take Banners and Instruments, they are also able to have a mini-herald if your willing to upgrade the one guy to a Bllodhunter.

When you start comparing Chariots the more clear winner, not neccesarily the best every game but all around ability one, is the Seeker/Exalted Seeker Chariot. First it is the cheapest out of the Three, 25 points less than the Flaming Chariot and 50 points cheaper than the Skull Cannon, and thats for the Exalted Chariot with 4 HP compared to the 3 HP on the Flaming Chariot or Skull Cannon. Now you take a look at what each does. The Skull Cannon wins the range game as it has a 36" pie plate that it shoots. Next the Flaming Chariot gets decent anti-infantry/anti-tank shooting but at a very short range, 18" for the anti-tank and flamer template for the anti-infantry. Last but not least you have the Seeker Chariots that dont have any range ability at all, unless you take a Greater gift and get a Lash of Despair. Now while this seems bad for the Seeker Chariot they more than make up for it in the assault phase. The Skull Cannon will get d6 S7 AP- attacks, even orks are going to be smiling as you might be wounding on 2s but they still get a save against it. The Flaming Chariot just gets the regular d6 S6 AP- hits so there isnt anything extraoridnary about that. Meanwhile the Seeker chariot gets d6 attacks PER REMAINGING HP at S4 but it has RENDING. What you can end up with is a possible 24 auto-hitting attacks at S4 but every 6 your roll becomes AP2, with enough hits a single Exalted Seeker Chariot could very likely kill a squad of 10 Terminatore BEFORE they can swing back. You add in that the Alluress gets her attacks, possible gifts, the 12" move and 12" assault, the +3" on flatout moves, AND the fact that they are are 1-3 PER HEAVY SUPPORT SLOT where the other chariots are only one ofs, and you get a Chariot that if it gets to combat will wreck about 90% of the units in the game.

Now Ive actually tried the Chariots and first charge with one killed a squad of 5 Tactical marines with just the rendings alone on a single E.S.C. That game I was running only 2 and it was a 1000 point game. Its highly feasible that you can fit upwards of 6-9 Exalted chariots in a 2000 point game and watch as you either leave squads with only 1-2 guys left to attack or completely wipe guys out with just the Hammer of Wrath attacks from the Chariot. Slaanesh has always been my god of choice for Chaos Daemons, I wanted them to actually be playable this time around. From the looks of the codex and testing a few things I think Slaanesh mono-build, or a Slaanesh army with a splash of Nurgle for taking objectives or maybe a little Tzeentch for anti-tank will be the competitive build this time around.