The Assassins

This is a kill point mission.

Two warbands collide in a destroyed city. This is the Alpha strike, the
first blood of a war, which will engulf the whole planet. Surgical
strike is needed, to cut enemy´s leaders down and to make a critical
damage on the chosen units before they can gain a foothold in this
Ground Zero...

Enemy HQ´s (both sides have to have two) are worth 2p plus Slay the
Warlord, when he´s cut down. In the beginning of this game, throw a die.

1 = Troop units are now worth 1p
2 = Elite units are now worth 1p
3 = Fast Attack units are now worth 1p
4 = Heavy units are now worth 1p
5 = Throw again for a result 1-4 + every transport is worth 1p
6 = Throw again, result 1-4 is now worth 2p

Normal deployment and reserves.

First Blood, Slay The Warlord, Line breaker, Night Fighting, Mysterious
ruins.

What do you think? Would you play it?

Tyrendian
03-06-2013, 04:57 AM
Looks interesting, I like the idea - the problems I see with it are:
- Firstly, the rather high amount of randomness (e.g. I usually build my Necrons without any Elite choices at all - so that would make things really tough for my opponent. On the other hand, take an old-school mech 'guard list (lost of vets in chimeras), roll a 5 followed by a 1 and have fun...).
- Secondly, i think there are balance issues between armies (not that thats much different in regular kill point games...): Forces with a few tough units (hello GK...) will have a much better chance than, say, IG or other horde armies at getting points (mostly including those for the "real" assassination - as their HQ choices are usually harder to kill as well).

The BAO team did a pretty good job of adressing these issues (at least the second one is not specific to your idea) by combining two (random ones) of the book missions so that you always have options which objective to pursue - maybe combining your mission with one (even a random one?) of the book missions would help solve the balance issues? Or am I just imagining those? :)

Lost Vyper
03-06-2013, 05:35 AM
Yeah, i usually dont have Elites in my list, but i have ALWAYS 3 x Heavy and 1-3 Fast choices...maybe if there was always two results? Fe. First throw of a die is a 2 and next one is a 4. So Elites and Heavy units would count as KP´s + HQ´s + SWL, LB, FB. And i also thought, that for this mission, the SWL kill in a duel would be worth an extra KP (i had this in my The Heist -mission, and it was great), so it would be SWL + 2KP + 1KP (kill in a challenge) = MAX 4p.

Tyrendian
03-06-2013, 06:16 AM
which would be very stylish and fitting for the mission - but i wouldn't want to play IG then :-) except maybe Yarrick...
Well, it's hard to balance a mission like this (meaning one with character... having a vision for what you want to do almost automatically means some armies will do that better than others...), and for friendly games (especially when both players know beforehand what's up) I'm sure it will be great fun!