PDA

View Full Version : Total Noob. How does 40K work?

NuclearSnowyOwl
03-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Hey guys, I'm a total noob here. This seems like a cool place, I have visited BOLS several times before.

So I have been playing WFB off and on for about 16 years. I have played several games of Warmachine/Hordes over the past 3 years. I love wargames. But I have not as yet made the attempt to learn 40K...until now.

So where is the appropriate place to ask total noob questions about 40K? Here?

For example, I'm super confused about this: I go to GW's site, click on 40K armies, and look at Blood Angels. The first thing I see is a whole bunch of Space Marine stuff. What is up with that? BA can use SM stuff? Is it some type of allied thing? Or mercenary thing?

Anyway, nice to be here. Looking forward to staying for a long time.

Bigred
03-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the Lounge!

We're always glad to see new 40K faces around here.

If you've been playing WFB for that long, you will get the overall 40K setup as its GW's other big system.

So you have the main rulebook, and each army get's its own Codex (the equivalent to an WFB army book).

So basically, you look through the various minis ranges and pick one that you like. Buy the codex and it will list all the legal models and units you can collect.

On the Space marine side of things, you have about 5 different SM chapters who each get their own Codex:

Space Marines
Space Wolves
Dark Angels
Blood Angels
Black Templars

All of those have several unique units as well as some generic Marine vehicles such as the Rhino APC that they can all use.

Hope that clears stuff up a little.

Feel free to dive into the 40k rules, armylists, and tactics forums to get a taste for the game and what folks are bringing to the tabletop.

-Larry

Nabterayl
03-04-2013, 12:41 AM
I think you're looking for the general discussion (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/forumdisplay.php?3-Warhammer-40K-General-Discussion) thread. Start up a thread, man; we'd love to answer your questions!

Psychosplodge
03-04-2013, 02:45 AM
Hi,

Spahs Muhreens! <= that's how 40K works, just ask the xenos players :D

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me3rf45vyp1r1gkido1_400.gif

NuclearSnowyOwl
03-04-2013, 09:45 AM
FYI, my 5-year old is a huge Fluttershy fan.

Psychosplodge
03-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Shouldn't everyone be?

Matt Adlard
03-07-2013, 11:30 AM
How does it work??

Unfortunately these days badly.