PDA

View Full Version : Carcharodons 1750pts (BA)

CarcharodonAstra
03-03-2013, 10:35 AM
So after taking a long break from Warhammer i've decided to come back. I have had a few people question me on why im using BA so i will make my reason at the bottom of this post.

HQ

Reclusiarch: Power Fist - Jump Pack

Elites

Chaplain: Power Fist - Jump Pack

Troops

10 Scouts: Sniper Rifles - Camo Cloaks

10 Assault Marines: 2 Meltaguns - Power Weapon - Combat Shield

10 Assault Marines: 2 Meltaguns - Power Weapon - Combat Shield

10 Assault Marines: 2 Meltagun - Power Weapon - Combat Shield

10 Death Company: Bolters/CC weapons - Jump Packs - Inferus Pistol -
Power Axe

Fast Attack

Baal Predator:

Baal Predator:

Heavy Support

Dreadnought: Assault Cannon

Reasoning: Carcharodons use Hit and run/shock and awe tactics. So in my case the scouts would pinpoint a place of weakness in the enemy defenses and then a Strike Force would be sent in and would use low flying Thunderhawks to drop directly into the weakspot.

Tynskel
03-03-2013, 03:51 PM
don't the Carcharodons have their own codex?

Maelstorm
03-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Carcharadons can be found in the Forge World Badab War hardbacks. They are listed as a Vanilla Marine chapter with a special HQ that grants a few close combat bonuses once he's bloodied his lightning claws (Slake and Hunger). He can also take a single Lightning Claw Assault Terminator squad as a "Troops" choice. Carcharadons are known as a Terminator heavy chapter. If I had to suggest a "lean" for their tactics - they are closer to Dark Anges.

They arrived unannounced in the Badab Sector during the war and joined the loyalists factions in putting down the rebellion. They were eventually assinged the mission of putting down the Mantis Warriors. They did so by systematically wiping out each of their supporting planets in turn. Their tactics were ruthless and efficient.

With no known home planet the Carcharadons use Predatory practices to replenish supplies and materials. They "confiscated" the defeated Mantis Warriors stockpiles of weapons and munitions from their home system after the Badab war as rightful "spoils of war" before departing the system.

Here is a link to the Carcharadons chapter description:

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Carcharodons

Deadlift
03-03-2013, 04:57 PM
I would go with using the 2nd badab book and the vanilla dex. Personally I think it's got stronger options than the BA one for 6th.

But that's just me, you could easily switch between the 2 depending on your mood or even combine the two and add allies, just paint it all as the space sharks. Either way I would look at their HQ charector called Tyberos "the red wake" he is very cool.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/TYBEROS_THE_RED_WAKE.html

CarcharodonAstra
03-04-2013, 09:55 AM
I do have the Badab War book and i have made both FW and Vanilla Marine Lists I decided that the BA was the strongest of them all.

Yes i would love to use the Tyberos Model and i probably will use the Badab army list at some point, however not everyone likes people using FW rules so i'd rather have an army i can bring out with very little complaints.

Falconjab
03-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I'm with Maelstrom. You might be better off using the Dark Angels codex and fielding a mix of Terminators, Scouts, and possibly Dreadnoughts if you want them. But if you're set on using the Blood Angels codex, you definitely need to change a few things.

The problem your list suffers from is a distinct lack of melta weapons/tank killing power. Most of your firepower is S6 (Assault Cannons), and you're going to have to get up close to use them. If you're jumping across the table that's one thing, but if you're trying to deep strike any of your jump pack units you're going to have to keep both the Dreads and Baal Preds on the table. You have 2 scoring units (Scouts and Assault Squad), and quite frankly that's not enough at 1750 in 6th Edition. BA can't table people like in 5th. Your Baals are going to get popped as soon as possible, and the same can be said of your Dreads. If your Dreads are just footslogging it across the table, they're going to have difficulty closing with your enemy and they only have a 30" threat range. Can't see much of your armor being able to get into position to do enough damage to warrant their points cost.

The Reclusiarch is great for the Death Company (although I have very rarely seen DC with jump packs get into combat with enough models to recoup their points cost), but the Chaplain might be better replaced with a Librarian. You have ~390 points sunk into the Death Company, and when you add the Reclusiarch it's ~550. That's a lot of points for one unit, especially when it doesn't score.

I would suggest bumping the Assault Squad up to 10 models, giving them a second Meltagun, and dropping the Combat Shields. The 6+ just isn't worth it at all. Find the points for a Sanguinary Priest and get a second Assault Squad. Drop both of the Baal Preds, drop the Chaplain, give the Dreads 2x TL Autocannons, and bring one Devastator Squad with 4x Missile Launchers. I would really reconsider the Death Company's Jump Packs, and just throw nine of them with the Reclusiarch in a Drop Pod and get in the enemy's face Turn 1. They'll all die eventually, but it will give your forces the necessary time to get into position and they're a suicide unit anyway. The Scout snipers could be dropped down to 6, and given a Missile Launcher, but that's up to you.

Plus, you have zero flyer defense. Guessing you're hoping the Assault Cannons will do something, but in my experience it's nearly impossible to kill flyers with them. Grab an Aegis Defense Line, at least, and set your Scouts up behind it. With Camo Cloaks they'll get a 3+ cover save. Good luck.

Tynskel
03-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Just use Forgeworld. If people complain, tell them that the rules are really not that different.

CarcharodonAstra
03-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I'm with Maelstrom. You might be better off using the Dark Angels codex and fielding a mix of Terminators, Scouts, and possibly Dreadnoughts if you want them. But if you're set on using the Blood Angels codex, you definitely need to change a few things.

The problem your list suffers from is a distinct lack of melta weapons/tank killing power. Most of your firepower is S6 (Assault Cannons), and you're going to have to get up close to use them. If you're jumping across the table that's one thing, but if you're trying to deep strike any of your jump pack units you're going to have to keep both the Dreads and Baal Preds on the table. You have 2 scoring units (Scouts and Assault Squad), and quite frankly that's not enough at 1750 in 6th Edition. BA can't table people like in 5th. Your Baals are going to get popped as soon as possible, and the same can be said of your Dreads. If your Dreads are just footslogging it across the table, they're going to have difficulty closing with your enemy and they only have a 30" threat range. Can't see much of your armor being able to get into position to do enough damage to warrant their points cost.

The Reclusiarch is great for the Death Company (although I have very rarely seen DC with jump packs get into combat with enough models to recoup their points cost), but the Chaplain might be better replaced with a Librarian. You have ~390 points sunk into the Death Company, and when you add the Reclusiarch it's ~550. That's a lot of points for one unit, especially when it doesn't score.

I would suggest bumping the Assault Squad up to 10 models, giving them a second Meltagun, and dropping the Combat Shields. The 6+ just isn't worth it at all. Find the points for a Sanguinary Priest and get a second Assault Squad. Drop both of the Baal Preds, drop the Chaplain, give the Dreads 2x TL Autocannons, and bring one Devastator Squad with 4x Missile Launchers. I would really reconsider the Death Company's Jump Packs, and just throw nine of them with the Reclusiarch in a Drop Pod and get in the enemy's face Turn 1. They'll all die eventually, but it will give your forces the necessary time to get into position and they're a suicide unit anyway. The Scout snipers could be dropped down to 6, and given a Missile Launcher, but that's up to you.

Plus, you have zero flyer defense. Guessing you're hoping the Assault Cannons will do something, but in my experience it's nearly impossible to kill flyers with them. Grab an Aegis Defense Line, at least, and set your Scouts up behind it. With Camo Cloaks they'll get a 3+ cover save. Good luck.

My intention for the scouts is have them

A) Sit on the objective looking pretty
B) Pin the enemy so my Assault Squads can get into CC

As for the Baal Preds using their scout move means that they are going to get in range 1st turn, i intend to put them on the flanks and have them just storm up them

While the Death Company do cost lots, they are devastating against nearly every infantry unit, so they would be very good at cleaning objectives.

Finally i would rather cut my most valuable asset off then use that Dark Angels book.

*note: I do have 3 Assault Marine squads but i must have shown it wrong*