PDA

View Full Version : About those female Space Marines...

Bigred
03-02-2013, 10:18 PM
May I present "people's exhibit #1"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barbie-custom-Space-Marine-conversion-40k-/111021750551?pt=Games_US&hash=item19d9697917

*Barbie Fashionista Ultimate Stormraven Not Included

Charistoph
03-02-2013, 11:42 PM
How does one say, FAAAH-Bulous in High Gothic?

Deadlift
03-03-2013, 01:26 AM
Matching shoes, handbag and bolt pistol, classy lass.

Denzark
03-03-2013, 04:07 AM
I'm glad this is what it is - a real life pun on this non-existent concept of female space marines, so ridiculous that it remains far away from the canon of grimdark...

eldargal
03-03-2013, 04:13 AM
I'm glad this is what it is - a real life pun on this non-existent concept of female space marines, so ridiculous that it remains far away from the canon of grimdark...

If it were a non-existent concept we wouldn't be talking about it because we wouldn't have the concept of female Space Marines.:p

Deadlift
03-03-2013, 04:17 AM
If it were a non-existent concept we wouldn't be talking about it because we wouldn't have the concept of female Space Marines.:p

its not a concept, its a joke :)

sangrail777
03-03-2013, 06:41 AM
..and to think I almost passed this thread up....intresting

Denzark
03-03-2013, 07:48 AM

Ah, semantics and pedantry - by which your poor tongue-tied servant meant non-existent in canon.

Necron2.0
03-03-2013, 07:54 AM
No WAY!!

A family friend has actually referred to my 40K dudes as "Man Barbies" for a couple years now. What a freakin' coincidence.

eldargal
03-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Ah, semantics and pedantry - by which your poor tongue-tied servant meant non-existent in canon.
I don't think anyone has ever argued they are canon.

Denzark
03-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Which is good - I thought for one horrific moment BR had found something that did...:eek:

Bigred
03-03-2013, 11:15 AM
I hereby postulate:

Legion II - Primarch: Barbie
Legion XI - Primarch: Malibu Stacy

You all have fun with special powers and Legion history...

Necron2.0
03-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Finally, at long last, the Emperor finds the way to purge his feminine side, thus becoming the galactic butt-hole he always knew he could be.

Deadlift
03-03-2013, 11:31 AM
The psychic power "roseus coordinatus" the power to turn all items pink.

Necron2.0
03-03-2013, 11:36 AM
And of course you had to know that this now becomes a serious, viable transport option:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/062/1/8/lr_articel_3_600_by_necron2_0-d5wu3au.jpg

Pendragon38
03-03-2013, 12:01 PM
And of course you had to know that this now becomes a serious, viable transport option:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/062/1/8/lr_articel_3_600_by_necron2_0-d5wu3au.jpg
sweet it's a fluffy death raider from the pink fluff chapter.

Bigred
03-03-2013, 02:34 PM
AAAH!! There's more!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fairy-custom-Space-Marine-40K-conversion-painted-/111022597128?pt=Games_US&hash=item19d9766408

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-custom-Space-Marine-40k-conversion-painted-/111022606548?pt=Games_US&hash=item19d97688d4

Pendragon38
03-03-2013, 03:20 PM
I like the wand and tu-tu it brings flare. That and bat man is cool

Maelstorm
03-03-2013, 04:30 PM
I did not realize there was a "Hello Kitty" Astartes Chapter.

Lexington
03-03-2013, 07:18 PM
"And they shall know math is hard."

LordGrise
03-03-2013, 07:56 PM
The Smurphs have now heard tell of their Smurphette... ::grin::

OrksOrksOrks
03-04-2013, 05:28 AM
"And they shall know math is hard."

Nice sexism bro, way to keep those females in line by inferring inferior traits on an entire gender!

Psychosplodge
03-04-2013, 05:40 AM
I actually wouldn't mind a cuddly landraider

Deadlift
03-04-2013, 05:50 AM
Nice sexism bro, way to keep those females in line by inferring inferior traits on an entire gender!

I can beat that :)

This all girlie chapter must keep some fellas around, who'd parallel park the tanks for them.

eldargal
03-04-2013, 06:05 AM
I'm not sure that is sexism, of all my friends only one of them can parallel park.:rolleyes: Also there is actually some evidence (http://www.thepassinglane.ca/2012/11/survey-says-women-not-so-good-at-parallel-parking-but-reason-why-remains-debateable.html) for it.

Renegade
03-04-2013, 06:29 AM
Well there is plenty of inspiration for these. Just pity the Chapter serfs (http://www.oddee.com/_media/imgs/articles2/a97013_g009_3-nicole-bass.jpg)... :D

Psychosplodge
03-04-2013, 06:33 AM
I'm not sure that is sexism, of all my friends only one of them can parallel park.:rolleyes: Also there is actually some evidence (http://www.thepassinglane.ca/2012/11/survey-says-women-not-so-good-at-parallel-parking-but-reason-why-remains-debateable.html) for it.

It always comes back to breasts...

Necron2.0
03-04-2013, 07:06 AM
"And they shall know math is hard."Nice sexism bro, way to keep those females in line by inferring inferior traits on an entire gender!

That's not sexism at all. It is a hysterical reference to a recording the talking Barbie doll really was programmed to say back in the 90's. Actually, according to Google, what the doll used to say was "Math class is tough," but that caused a firestorm of controversy.

OrksOrksOrks
03-04-2013, 08:24 AM
That's not sexism at all. It is a hysterical reference to a recording the talking Barbie doll really was programmed to say back in the 90's. Actually, according to Google, what the doll used to say was "Math class is tough," but that caused a firestorm of controversy.

Sorry for not knowing the history of the Barbie doll

Wolfshade
03-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Look like Ultramarines to me..:rolleyes:

miteyheroes
03-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Nah, Ultramarines look like this: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/424613.page

Necron2.0
03-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Sorry for not knowing the history of the Barbie doll

What?!! You don't know the history of Barbie?!!

http://www.deviantart.com/download/6510525672100951/grumpy_face_by_necron2_0-d5x0k54.jpg

Actually the Barbie "math is hard" fiasco was the scandal-that-you-cannot-get-away-from-no-matter-how-hard-you-try-oh-god-I-just-want-to-jam-ice-picks-in-my-ears-to-make-it-stop news story of its day. Mostly that was because a bunch of hairy-legged women couldn't just let it go.

Psychosplodge
03-05-2013, 02:33 AM
What?!! You don't know the history of Barbie?!!

http://www.deviantart.com/download/6510525672100951/grumpy_face_by_necron2_0-d5x0k54.jpg

Actually the Barbie "math is hard" fiasco was the scandal-that-you-cannot-get-away-from-no-matter-how-hard-you-try-oh-god-I-just-want-to-jam-ice-picks-in-my-ears-to-make-it-stop news story of its day. Mostly that was because a bunch of hairy-legged women couldn't just let it go.

Well apparently all we needed to avoid it was an ocean...

OrksOrksOrks
03-05-2013, 02:37 PM

If the previous part wasn't sexist, this kind of is.

And looking at the comments on the main site, which were almost all jokes about periods or handbags, I don't think I was wrong to assume that people here would be kind of sexist

Necron2.0
03-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Well I guess I'm glad I refrained from the "gorillas in skirts" remark I was originally going to make then.

;)

Necron2.0
03-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Well apparently all we needed to avoid it was an ocean...

More than likely it was time and not distance that was the limiting factor. After all, when would you Brits pass up an opportunity to laugh at us Yanks for being stupid? :D

Power Klawz
03-05-2013, 04:16 PM
The picture is pretty silly in a not-very-funny-but-whatever sort of way.

The responses have been, by and large, disgusting. (And also not-very-funny-but-whatever)

Deadlift
03-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Well I thought Necrons harmless jokes were quite funny, but then I don't have to be "over the top politically correct" to gain favour with the opposite sex.

How you like me now ?

Psychosplodge
03-05-2013, 05:40 PM
More than likely it was time and not distance that was the limiting factor. After all, when would you Brits pass up an opportunity to laugh at us Yanks for being stupid? :D

Occasionally, it's not fair to constantly mock the afflicted... :D

Well I thought Necrons harmless jokes were quite funny, but then I don't have to be "over the top politically correct" to gain favour with the opposite sex.

How you like me now ?

Obviously this is when the wife can't see the screen...;)

Caitsidhe
03-05-2013, 06:17 PM
I've stayed largely quiet. The thread has been amusing. When it comes to being politically incorrect, I'm an equal opportunity insulter/joker. I don't think anyone (race, religion, politics, gender, what have you) is so delicate or perfect that they can't take their fair share of ribbing with the rest of us. Don Rickles is a God. While I'm not above the odd joke based on the funny perceptions people have of stereotypes (correct or incorrect) that is a long way from believing them or being hateful. I think it is silly to hate people because of race, creed, gender, or religion, because when you take the time to get to know people as individuals, there are always plenty of better reasons to hate them. :)

Wolfshade
03-06-2013, 02:42 AM
If you can't laugh at yourself you are doing something wrong.

eldargal
03-06-2013, 04:16 AM
While true it is much easier to take a joke when you haven't grown up constantly being the butt of mean-spirited jokes or stereotyping. Even the thing with the Barbie math line (which was overblown somewhat) is completely understandable when you remember that it is something of a cliche that 'girls can't do math'. A Barbie doll being seen as reinforcing that perception amongst girls caused a perfectly explicable angry response.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/how_it_works.png

Wolfshade
03-06-2013, 04:28 AM
/Sigh the term is mathematics, it is abbreviated to maths, not "math".

The "you" in the above statement wasn't directly related to any specific person but was catholic.

I think it is fair to say that not all "jokes" are particularly funny.

Others are:

Q. How many anglicans does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. 57, 1 to change it the other 56 to stand around and say how they much prefered it before

eldargal
03-06-2013, 05:48 AM
Yes but Barbie is American so she said math.:p

Wolfshade
03-06-2013, 05:55 AM
My mistake I was thinking of Cindy.

Charistoph
03-06-2013, 08:22 AM
While true it is much easier to take a joke when you haven't grown up constantly being the butt of mean-spirited jokes or stereotyping. Even the thing with the Barbie math line (which was overblown somewhat) is completely understandable when you remember that it is something of a cliche that 'girls can't do math'. A Barbie doll being seen as reinforcing that perception amongst girls caused a perfectly explicable angry response.

I can understand that somewhat. I grew up the stereo-typical nerd, add that in to being a white male when every man was being castigated in the media for being a beast (a generation of comedians grew famous by these jokes) and every white is considered racist, things can go downhill very quickly.

But at least it's not a multi-generational issue like most women have to punch through.

Deadlift
03-06-2013, 09:43 AM
I suppose that's the difference, being bullied and teased remorselessly isn't a nice thing to experience, but having a tease and friendly banter with someone is just that "friendly banter" I like to think I can read people in person quite well and know the distinction between the two. But I personally would be mortified if I hurt someone's feelings and always apologise when I occasionally overstep the mark.
But it's a bit more difficult to read people in a forum. Sometimes a joke is lost in the written word and comes across as mean, when in actually fact it's just a friendly dig. That's i why like the :) so much I guess.

Charistoph
03-06-2013, 09:52 PM
I suppose that's the difference, being bullied and teased remorselessly isn't a nice thing to experience, but having a tease and friendly banter with someone is just that "friendly banter" I like to think I can read people in person quite well and know the distinction between the two. But I personally would be mortified if I hurt someone's feelings and always apologise when I occasionally overstep the mark.
But it's a bit more difficult to read people in a forum. Sometimes a joke is lost in the written word and comes across as mean, when in actually fact it's just a friendly dig. That's i why like the :) so much I guess.

It can be even harder if you've grown up in an environment that did nothing but bully and tease remorselessly, and when someone who is actually "just kidding" comes along and jokes in a way similar to those bullies (that they did not know) because they grew up in a different environment, it can easily come across as hurtful.

It's led to more than a few hurt feelings between me and my wife (on both sides) because of the differences between friendly teasing and joking and mean teasing and joking that we experienced growing up.

Heck, for me, I spent I pretty much spent high school as a relative hermit because of how bad it was in junior high and the first part of my Freshman year. Spent a little time in wrestling and band, but otherwise, just hung out with my church group. That lead to a LOT of problems for me later on (and still causes the occasional issue).

And yes, the smilies sure help to distinguish comedic intent. Now if we could actually get a sarcasm BBC tag...