PDA

View Full Version : Totally new to WFB, 1500pt Orc & Gobbo army

Popsical
02-24-2013, 04:47 AM
Im looking at building an army composed of Savage Orcs and Forest Goblins, I feel they look great together as a themed army.
I dont want any other units from the book as I want to keep to a savage tribal image, the theme is very important to any army I ever do.
Now I havent played WFB since 6th edition so im not up on the best unit sizes and benefits.
I know the list will need heavy tinkering, so here it is:

Lord:
Savage Orc Great Shaman L4 on Wyvern 365pts
Core:
30 Savage Orcs, Full command, extra choppa, big stabba 325pts
15 Forest goblin spider riders, Full command, bows 240pts
Special:
10 Savage Orc boar boyz, Full command, shield 235pts
Rare:
Arachnarok spider, flinger 320pts
Total: 1485pts

Should i take smaller orc regiments rather than one big one?
How many gobbo spiders is viable?
Is the flinger any good?
I took the spiders with bows to standoff and shoot till a soft unit is vulnerable to assault rather than savage orcs with bows. Im not sure the orcs with bows would be less effective because of frenzy.
I also dont know what frenzy does anymore.
Now i dont have the rule book yet so i dont know the magic items/weapons/banners i can take to buff my list.
Ive got a conversion I am doing to make my Shaman on Wyvern so im pretty set on having a Wyvern in the army.
Im not completely sure of the percentages i can take in each category so help is needed here too.
Ok, fire away, be nice :) thanks in advance,

Chronowraith
02-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Frenzy has a singular bonus and a couple of downsides. The bonus is that the models gain +1 attack. The downsides are that you must make a leadership test to restrain from attempting a charge if anything is in range and LOS and then you must test to restrain from pursuing a defeated unit.

For best unit sizes, I'd say Orcs are good around 25-30ish models and goblins (on foot) around 30-40ish. The reason for this is steadfast. Against superior armed or trained units you want to outnumber them so you have a lower chance of running away when defeated.

As for 1500 points, I'd suggest choosing between the wyvern or the giant spider. Personally, I'd go with the spider since people can snipe your general off of the wyvern where it is more difficult to do so when he is in a unit. Additionally you really need more warm bodies. 10 Boar boyz isn't really any better than 5 in 8th edition. I'd suggest you halve the unit and use the rest to buy goblins/orcs. Fifteen spider riders with bows will do almost no damage and you'd be better off with a unit of goblins on foot (at 240 points you'd get a respectable amount). Now Spider Riders are not useless, but they fulfill a specific role on the battlefield. I"d use them more for tying up warmachines and skirmishers than for widdling down enemy units. They just won't do enough damage (and while you might try and wait to charge until the enemy has dwindled in size, the enemy won't... Orcs aren't fast). I'd also suggest buying a cheap Battle Standard Bearer.

So to summarize;
* Choose between the wyvern or the giant spider (my suggestion is the spider)
* Slim down the boar boyz
* Slim down the spider riders
* Buy more warm bodies (orcs or goblins)

Popsical
02-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Cheers chrono.
Ive been fiddling with the list all day. So with some of your advice here we go.

Lord: Savage Orc great shaman L3 on wyvern 335pts
Heroes: Savage Orc Big boss, Great weapon 79pts
Heroes: Savage Orc Shaman L1, Lucky shrunken head, war boar 136pts
Core: 20 savage orcs full command extra choppa big stabba 235pts
Core: 10 forest goblin spider riders full command bow 170pts
Core: 10 forest goblin spider riders full command bow 170pts
Special: 7 savage orc boar boys full command shields 175pts
Monster: Rogue idol of gork, Rock pile 200pts

1495pts Thoughts? Im happier so far.

Wildeybeast
02-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Im happier so far.

That's the key. It's your list, you need to like it and don't let anyone dissuade you from making your themed list. I'm not an O&G player so can't give too much on them, but I would echo Chrono's thoughts on getting a BSB in there. Unless you are Undead, they are pretty much a must for everyone.

Popsical
03-01-2013, 03:55 AM
So after much tinkering, ive decided to start off at 1000pts first then upgrade to 1500 then 2000.

So 1000pts.

L3 savage orc shaman dispel scroll war boar
Savage orc big boss Bsb
19 savage orcs stabba standard musician
9 savage orc boar riders musician standard
Idol of gork rock pile

This list leaves me a few points for trinkets for the heroes.
What do you folks think?