PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Guard Storm Eagle Tactics

The Sovereign
02-21-2013, 11:32 PM
What's the best way to run a unit of ten termie WG in a Storm Eagle (considering equipment for both)? I'm looking for something effective but generalized enough to take on various units/armies.

I'm thinking something like the following:

Storm Eagle w/ TLHB, TLLC, extra armor
Arjac Rockfist
1x WG w/ TDA, CML, storm bolter (can he still fire both like in 5th Ed?), power sword
1x WG w/ TDA, AC, power sword
1x WG w/ TDA, 2 wolf claws
1x WG w/ TDA, chain fist, combi plasma
1x WG w/ TDA, power sword, combi melta
1x WG w/ TDA, power axe, combi melta
1x WG w/ TDA, power axe, combi plasma
2x WG w/ TDA, power sword, combi plasma

wellweee
02-22-2013, 01:51 AM
First off, I just have to say I know little of the Storm Eagle, but I'll assume it's like the Storm Raven.

So onto the Wolf Guard. To start with, are you going to attach a character to this unit? A Runepriest with Divination would be a big boon. The re-rolls to hit will be a great help to the unit, and help them wipe out most units. Plus he'll provide a nice psyker defense. Perhaps drop Arjac for him. Also only Arjac has a storm shield, perhaps add in a few and put them up front when facing those pesky AP2 weapons. I'd probably replace the 2 wolf claws model and one of the combi-plasma/Power sword models for 2 with storm shields and power weapons (perhaps some power mauls?).

TBH I would ditch all the combi weapon guys and go storm shields, creating a very hard to remove unit. Depends on how you want to use it really, but I tend to use my flyers to drop diversion units into positions that mean my opponent has to deal with them. Give me plenty of time to move my main body of troops up and take the objectives.

The Sovereign
02-22-2013, 04:54 AM
Yeah, I see a definite need for more SS in there. But I would still like the unit to be somewhat shooty in the interest of versatility, and WG get combi weapons for super cheap, so it seemed like a waste not to use them. Would it be terrible to kit half the unit to act similar to hammernators, and half the unit to act similar to tactical terminators? Or is that too schizophrenic?

I would also consider putting an HQ in there, but right now I'm just trying to plan out the full unit of termies.