PDA

View Full Version : eldar advise needed.

spaceman91
02-21-2013, 04:40 PM
I have only played one game with my eldar and although i lost i liked it. It was only a 2x troop 1x hq game but i liked the way the avengers worked ( i have learnt not to try and assault with them ). Now comes the help part. Where do i go from here? I like scorpions and dragons so i will probably use them but what else should go in? I have at the mo: 2x avengers, exarch has dire swords and blade storm, a farseer, a squad of scorpions, exarch has biting blade and i have a altarch, cant remember what i gave him. So where next people?

Learn2Eel
02-21-2013, 07:48 PM
It depends on what kind of army you want to run, and what you commonly come up against. Does your local area tend to feature lots of vehicles, mostly foot-slogging armies or a mixture? What codices do you usually come up against? The core you have is very good, and as for expansion, Fire Dragons are fantastic tank-hunters, whilst Wraithlords and Wraithguard make for some very tough options. A mobile army would benefit a lot from Wave Serpents, and there are few better sources of cheap firepower than War Walkers. Dark Reapers are terrifying against Space Marines, whilst the Avatar is a cheap - if slow - character-hunter.

spaceman91
02-22-2013, 02:22 AM
Thanks. I mainly play against Space marines with a mix of foot slog and a few tanks. The one thing i am worried about is my friend who i normally play has hammer termys. Not sure what to do about them. I was thinking pulse lasers and star cannons but thats all i could think of.

Houghten
02-22-2013, 03:07 AM
The thing about thunder hammer / storm shield Terminators is that even if you shoot them with an AP2 weapon you'll only drop their save down to 3+ because of the storm shield and its "can't touch this" field generator. So it's not worth the points to specifically purchase starcannon to deal with them, not when scatter lasers put out twice the shots for (nearly) half the price.

Of course, you can turn your bright lances on them once all the opponent's vehicles are dead - they'll just be the next logical target in line - but I'd just take as many lances as you feel you need to deal with the tanks, and let the everything else take care of the Terminators. And don't let them anywhere near your Wraithlord.

Lost Vyper
02-22-2013, 04:23 AM
180p = 3 x War Walker (2 x Scatter Laser), can outflank, range 36" 3 x 8 x STR 6 AP6 = 24 shots...i use 3 x 3 WW´s and they are AWESOME! Check also Forgeworld Hornets, they have AV11 and BS4, so they are nice also, i use 2 or 3 of those and mix the weapons. Fe. One with dual Scatters, one with dual Brightlances and one with dual Pulse Lasers...Also, Aegis-Line with Quad-Gun and Fire Dragon Exarch with Crack shot is nice...

phreakachu
03-01-2013, 09:43 AM
i always liked backing up my DA's with 2 5 man pathfinder squads: nobody in their right mind will ignore those pesky rangers, especially if their camping an objective set into cover.seeing as they now can pick the recipient of their wounds when they drop some ap1 love on you, theiy will be dropping characters and special weapons as tyhey see fit. combo that with their 2+ cover and long reach, they come ut winning.
a farseer is a good compliment, but if you take one, just grit your teeth and point up eldrad: to point up a random seer with all the fun little toys you might as well pay out the extra 30 or so points for all the powers, a 3+ invuln and 4 toughness.

Beyond that, giving your opponent targets he *cannot* ignore will increase your avengers survivability. Reapers always are a good choice, especially with the Exarch weilding an EML. a trio of vipers with Shuri Cannon/EML and Holoshroud (? cant remember if thats the name) will eat points and lots of everything else. Banshees will get ppls attention, and scorps will put a dent in someones plans, especially in an outflanking Serpentor starting the game in charge range due to infiltrate.

Finally, paying 45 pts a unit or so to give your Avengers an exarch with both powers, a shimmer shield + power weapon is brilliant: Combo'd with a seer giving them Fortune and Guide, you can blast 27 shurikens into a unit with rerolls to hit and wound, then charge to give those poor bastiches -1 attack in cc. and if im not mistaken, the largest chunk of flyers have AV 10 somewhere on them: so that bladestorm with Guide can make an reasonably effective Anti-aircraft sweep.

Hope this helps good sir.

Da Gargoyle
03-02-2013, 02:31 AM
I have never quite worked out why to take dire avengers. They have no assault or heavy weapons, you have to be in assault range of the other guy to use them and they are fragile even to IG, (I know my son uses IG and assaults regularly). By comparison a Guardian squad in cover with star cannon or scatter laser or even EML can sit back as the ultimate sniper. I also use storm guardians who can carry fusion guns or flamers. Put them in a wave serpent with a warlock and the power of your choice and they become a decent threat. Remember though that Eldar need to support each other. One of my SG squads almost always accompanies an assault squad like scorpions. I now field a Warlock squad, mostly with spears and a mix of powers. I have used high eldar cavalry to produce warlock jet bike riders, and DE wyches blended with a guardian squadron for my storm guardians.

I have an anti aircraft issue but I keep forgetting you could now use DE as allies and I tend not to think of the Aegis defence line as a tool for Eldar. I gota adapt I suppose.