PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 4 Reveal - Live!

Learn2Eel
02-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Hey guys, anyone else watching the impending announcement of the Playstation 4 Live from New York? There's quite a few live-streams up, I'm currently watching the IGN (http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/02/14/watch-the-220-playstation-event-on-ign) one and it is very exciting!

What are you guys expecting? Thoughts?

Godless Zealot
02-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Hey guys, anyone else watching the impending announcement of the Playstation 4 Live from New York? There's quite a few live-streams up, I'm currently watching the IGN (http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/02/14/watch-the-220-playstation-event-on-ign) one and it is very exciting!

What are you guys expecting? Thoughts?

Came online to check this out, it must be attracting a lot of traffic as I can't get onto the IGN website. Very curious to see what will be revealed.

Psychosplodge
02-20-2013, 05:19 PM
it'll be a box that does slightly more than the last one, but still lags behind PCs.

Learn2Eel
02-21-2013, 01:23 AM
Very impressed with it.

*Instant uploading/streaming of gameplay onto social networking sites/PSN.
*New Killzone
*Watch Dogs
*New InFamous
*Diablo 3 on PS3/PS4
*Vita as a controller
*Capcom game is insane
*Square Enix demo was crazy
*Quantic Dream demo was lifelike
*Other cool games

So much other stuff. This is fantastic. Controller looks good too....

Psychosplodge
02-21-2013, 02:56 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/239a19b8f4df94aff7fb43eed16b6083/tumblr_mijpzv6kMJ1rsocvqo1_1280.png

Mr Mystery
02-21-2013, 04:08 AM
I reckon I can save up £1,500 by Chrimbo. No problems!

WOOHOO! NEW TOYSES!

Wolfshade
02-21-2013, 04:15 AM
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/21/pc-gamer-vs-playstation-4-theres-only-ever-going-to-be-one-winner-right/

Psychosplodge
02-21-2013, 04:39 AM
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/21/pc-gamer-vs-playstation-4-theres-only-ever-going-to-be-one-winner-right/

The comments are fun...

Deadlift
02-21-2013, 04:41 AM
It will have to something special to pull me from my Xbox, personally more interested in microsofts next machine.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 04:48 AM
I may get one.

May...

Psychosplodge
02-21-2013, 04:51 AM
But look at the pretty cheap pc in Wolfies link...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 04:54 AM
If you lot are what pc gamers are like then I don't want one.

"consoles suck, stop playing consoles, you are inferior for playing them"

I like consoles, go away.

Wolfshade
02-21-2013, 04:54 AM
As long as I can play X on Ultra settings at 190fps who cares how much it costs?!

Triple SLI baby.

I wish :(

Wolfshade
02-21-2013, 04:59 AM
If you lot are what pc gamers are like then I don't want [to be] one.

I don't think I said consoles suck, I think that there price does not deflate in line hardware prices, and after the initial splash period they are overcosted compared with an equivalent pc. Plus the PC is more verstile and the mouse is one of the greatest menu navigation items out there.

The truth of the matter is that ported games do not work particularly well. There are some rare exceptions but generally speaking it doesn't work great.

Console optimised menus are great on consoles, but not on PC where you can afford to have larger menus and greater levels of details.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 05:01 AM
*shrug*

I like picking up a controller, my mate picking up a controller, and shooting the living hell out of some unfortunate souls.

PCs aren't particularly local game friendly....

Psychosplodge
02-21-2013, 05:02 AM
" stop playing consoles, consoles are inferior for playing games"
FTFY
:p
On the other hand we haven't questioned your parentage or sexuality...

White Tiger88
02-21-2013, 05:04 AM
FTFY
:p
On the other hand we haven't questioned your parentage or sexuality...

How does it go from ps4 POS system that is a total rip off to that?

If you lot are what pc gamers are like then I don't want one.

No i like it here, and PC is vastly better then any console will ever be.....

Psychosplodge
02-21-2013, 05:05 AM
Isn't that what the average console multiplayer session is like? :D

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 05:05 AM
Neither has anyone else!

I have never received threats over Xbox Live, or during my short stint on PSN. So quite frankly, all of your arguments against consoles are invalid.

As I said before, I like playing with friends in the same room, PC doesn't really do a lot of that.

Psychosplodge
02-21-2013, 05:06 AM
Ah so you have a wii? or still got the N64 set up?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 05:08 AM
I don't have an N64 because it broke and my parents chucked it.

Why do I need more than one console? My Xbox is fine as it is...

Also, I was 5 when the N64 came out...

Psychosplodge
02-21-2013, 05:10 AM
Because perfect dark and mariokart 64 are the greatest shared screen multiplayer games ever made?

anyway, back to the ps4, web reaction here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21528542)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 05:11 AM
I seriously beg to differ.

Psychosplodge
02-21-2013, 05:13 AM
best quotes:

Most exciting is the share button. The PS4, we're told, will sneakily and transparently monitor and buffer our last 15 minutes of gameplay. This will be a boon to all those who think there is not enough inane video drivel on YouTube.

Can't watch the #PS4ever livestream right now due to the blue ring of permabuffering. This is why needing the internet to play games sucks. @NikoleZ

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 05:19 AM
*facepalm*

Oh the internet...

DrLove42
02-21-2013, 05:22 AM
I didn't watch the stream, but have caught up this morning

Color me unimpressed. sure its an advance but a lot of its is pointless and a lot of its just ripped off.

Tiny touch screen on the controller? Stolen from Nintendo, and a bit pointless anyway
Motion Control on controllers? Pointless, most people dislike motion control gameplay.
Instant Video Upload? Great....so mor epointless crap on youtube
The ability to let you be controlled by someone else to "help" you? WTF?
Very generic games and prerendered footage? So not showing the actual capabilites or anything interesting
No sign of actual console either?
Then theres things like it "predownloading games you might like". Great...until it eats up all your bandwidth downloading crap you don't want.

And they really want people to buy a Vita don't they?

Biggest annoyance for me was Bungie selling out through activision and giving PS player exclusive content.

Deadlift
02-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Because perfect dark and mariokart 64 are the greatest shared screen multiplayer games ever made?

anyway, back to the ps4, web reaction here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21528542)

Golden Eye I think you will find is the best shared screen ever. That game was brilliant fun.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 05:26 AM
Golden Eye I think you will find is the best shared screen ever. That game was brilliant fun.

At least someone has sense...

I just want a new Killzone game, I love Killzone.

DrLove42
02-21-2013, 05:34 AM
Thinking about the controller, the screen seems really high. Its only going to be used by thumbs sort of letting go of the controller, and it seems awkwardly positioned

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 05:35 AM
It must work ergonomically, otherwise they wouldn't have released it's final copy.

Wolfshade
02-21-2013, 05:39 AM
Neither has anyone else!

I have never received threats over Xbox Live, or during my short stint on PSN. So quite frankly, all of your arguments against consoles are invalid.

As I said before, I like playing with friends in the same room, PC doesn't really do a lot of that.

Never played hotseating or a lan party?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 05:43 AM
No. I don't even own one computer....

That's the thing, I don't need multiple Xboxes to play splitscreen...

Wolfshade
02-21-2013, 05:58 AM
I don't need multiple PCs to play splitscreen.
Though by split screen mean seperate screens as I have more than one.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 06:01 AM
So two people can play on one PC?

Wolfshade
02-21-2013, 06:02 AM
Yes, the first game that I had that did it was Lemmings bac in 91.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 06:04 AM
And recently?

My most recent split screen was yesterday on Aliens: Colonial Marines...

Wolfshade
02-21-2013, 06:06 AM
Lego: Lord of the Rings

Though don't forget two things, firstly I don'y buy games very frequently, secondly, I tend to play RTS games.
Fifa and such sports games are routinely two player

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 06:08 AM
I don't know how often you buy games. I don't stalk you.

Anyway, I'm cooking Lobbys, back to discussing PS4's announcement.

eldargal
02-21-2013, 06:16 AM
The problem with these sorts of reveals is that they are purely for hype generation rather than providing actual information. It's not a bad thing, it is what companies do, it just means that people wanting actual substance are left unsatisfied.

There is nothing wrong with consoles, but arguments can be made that the long gap between generations (8 years at the moment) and a focus on console games has damaged gaming as limitations are placed on games so they can run on what are effectively obsolete technology. PC gamers get cranky because we have godly systems that can handle so much more (generalisation...) but we get lumped with games that don't look much different than they did in 2005. Again it isn't the consoles fault, it is the industries fault.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 06:20 AM
I nearly posted a giant sarcasm bomb. Nearly.

I'm in a very callous mood today.

DrLove42
02-21-2013, 06:21 AM
I'd like to see a survey output on PC gamers. And not just "gamers" but all people who buy PC games.

More specifically it would be interesting to see the type of specs that most of them us.

I predict only a small portion of the PC game buying community are using top spec PC's and upgrade. I bet a significant chunk are using computers and hardware that is several years old. And its those people who are holding down the "quality" of PC games as well

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 06:25 AM
I'd like to see a survey output on PC gamers. And not just "gamers" but all people who buy PC games.

More specifically it would be interesting to see the type of specs that most of them us.

I predict only a small portion of the PC game buying community are using top spec PC's and upgrade. I bet a significant chunk are using computers and hardware that is several years old. And its those people who are holding down the "quality" of PC games as well

^This.

Wolfshade
02-21-2013, 06:27 AM
I don't know how often you buy games. I don't stalk you.

Anyway, I'm cooking Lobbys, back to discussing PS4's announcement.

Sigh. I never said you did.

I cited the first game I ever owned to suggest that two player games on the PC was nothing new.

You asked me "and recently", possibly thinking that this was something that didn't occur in modern times.

I provided a game that was last out in Nov-12, which was the last game I brought, where as you cited one that came out this month. I was making you aware that I do not buy frequently and as such there could be many months between my last game purchase let alone the rarer game with two-player mode.

eldargal
02-21-2013, 06:32 AM
To some extent, but even a computer that is five years old is going to be capable of more than a current generation console. So I doubt PC gamers are golding things back that much. Not to mention it is quite possible to scale graphics systems so low end systems can still play the game. The problem is that while there isn't a hard cap on low end systems there is a hard cap on high end systems.
So no one is, to use an awful cliche, pushing the graphics envelope because instead of just worrying about 4-5 year old computers being able to run it they have to worry about 8 year old consoles. PC games can also boost their systems relatively cheaply, you can get a hgh end card from a couple of years ago for one hundred pounds or so, maybe a bit of ram too.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 06:38 AM
Technically, the most recent Xbox 360 to come out came out 2ish years ago... Which had better hardware and software than the original 360, by far...

And the original 360 came out 7ish years ago, so...

eldargal
02-21-2013, 06:48 AM
Seven years and three months, I thought it was earlier in 2005, oops. They may have been new versions but they were not a new generation and the improvements were marginal compared to what you can do with a relatively modest PC. Lipstick on a pig.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 06:49 AM
*sigh*

PC elitism...

eldargal
02-21-2013, 06:55 AM
Entirely justified elitism. :p How did you enjoy playing Skyrim with that gorgeous 1080 resolution? I get 1980x1080 on a two year old system. A friend of mine with a five year old computer gets 1440 and it wasn't high end specs back then.

Queen of the Trolletariat status confirmed.:cool:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 07:04 AM
I don't have a HD TV yet. So get your facts right troll. :p

Wolfshade
02-21-2013, 07:05 AM
I think that there are certain things to take note of firstly.
The current PS4 will be a better and more powerful machine than the equivalent PC at the same cost. Indeed, it would take quite an expensive rig to do what the PS4 does better.
But visually I think this will be more evolutionary than revolutionary. There was a major step as we moved from 480i to 1080p and the graphics were beautiful in comparison, but now we are at HD resolutions then such incremental bits are minor.
The other thing to consider was that Sony lost money on every PS3 sold, and for the last 4 years has been making a loss (indeed last finanicial year saw som £3.2bn loss) and what PS4 needs to do is make money.
The architecture is certainly very PC like standard x86 chip and a (slightly) modified GPU. How it is all linked together is what makes it important. The PS3 was a nightmare for manufactures, Bethesda said so, so hopefully this will be better.

"The decision to not make the PlayStation 4 backwards compatible is disappointing and means the 5.5 million plus people who own a PS3 in the UK will essentially have to start their gaming collection from scratch," said Alex Simmons, UK editor-in-chief of the gaming site IGN.
Backwards compatability was always nice, but every one has issues with it, and I suppose the question is why would you want to play with those blocky spirtes when you can play with these smooth hd polygons?

I think that PS4 direction was certainly a step towards the PC. It is important to remember that gaming rigs are the growing PC market, traditional desktops have taken a hit with laptops then notebooks and now tablets. How long before the PC becomes a dedicated sealed unit or the console becomes upgrade able.

eldargal
02-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Well when you do get one you will be able to bask in the beauty that is 1360x768.:p

Again I'm going to say the issue isn't with consoles, the issue is with the age of the current batch. So long as the PS4 delivers and teh Xbox 720 or whatever it will be called does the same things should zip along merrily again.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 07:09 AM
Wow....

Not wrong, not even once.

Mr Mystery
02-21-2013, 07:15 AM
I just want shinynewtoy.

And that's why I'm saving up lots of the cashmonies to buy one on release day. I may even queue up here in London.

PS3 gave those who did a free telly (win!) and a taxi ride home (double win). Plus you know, it's an experience.

Psychosplodge
02-21-2013, 07:15 AM
So anyway, do we know what they were running the tech demos on? Were they on prototypes, development kits, or PCs?
Was it all just prerendered footage or were there actual demos?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 07:19 AM
I just want shinynewtoy.

And that's why I'm saving up lots of the cashmonies to buy one on release day. I may even queue up here in London.

PS3 gave those who did a free telly (win!) and a taxi ride home (double win). Plus you know, it's an experience.

Like the sound of that.

200 quid for me to get down there on a train though.

Wolfshade
02-21-2013, 07:30 AM
Was it all just prerendered footage or were there actual demos?

They claimed it was "live", though what that actually means IDK.

A live playback of pre-rendered video on a prototype/development kit/equivalently performing PC?

A live rendering on a prototype/development kit/equivalently performing PC?

Who knows, though if Hybrid Memory Cube will be integrated into the new XBOX, if so PS4 will be aloready obsoltes

Psychosplodge
02-21-2013, 07:41 AM
Surely that would be too expensive.

Mr Mystery
02-21-2013, 07:44 AM
I have no idea what Wolfy just said.

But it sounds like an expensive component bound to go wrong...

Me, I'm sticking with PS platforms. Never had a single issue with them. Plus I can play God of War, which for a button bashing buffoon is simply heaven!

DrLove42
02-21-2013, 07:50 AM
I work the same principle except replace PS with Xbox, and God of War with Halo.

Apparantly there were industry showings of Battlefield 4 this week, with no press allowed. Suggestions are its a launch title for Xbox and PS4....

Mr Mystery
02-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Tin Helmet games aren't my bag, and I've never really 'got' Halo. Sure it's enjoyable enough, but the fanboism that goes with it constantly eludes me.

But hey, not saying anyone is deluded or wrong for liking it, just saying not my bag.

DrLove42
02-21-2013, 08:03 AM
I say the exact same thing with GoW. Not a fan of the stylised combo hack and slash stuff.

Wolfshade
02-21-2013, 08:10 AM
HMC is Hybrid Memory Core, in an increasing amount of systems the bottle neck appears at the point of interfacing with RAM, and the speed at which RAM is upscalling is inconsistent with Moore's Law, whereas the processor are. HMC is a "3D" solution, so the ram is stacked vertically across a logic base, it is almost like having different "cores" of memory, then by slapping them on one die the minimise the footprint and maximise the bandwidth while decreasing the power draw. In theory, it is a small efficient system with the same sort of heating concerns as a traditional CPU.

I never got helmet games, I played Halo, and thought, hmm this is like Quake IV or Half-Life and was genreally meh, but then I don't play many fps. I prefer (grand) strategy. Bring me my micromanagement!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Play Sins.

Psychosplodge
02-21-2013, 11:55 AM
PS4 ABRIDGED- language NSFW

http://youtu.be/0rJDn0jRnUQ

Wolfshade
02-22-2013, 02:54 AM
Play Sins.

There was me thinking sins should be avoided

Psychosplodge
02-24-2013, 01:47 PM
They really want you to buy a vita

http://25.media.tumblr.com/af7fe5eda156642ab18ffb944f2eda05/tumblr_mioi2yi5OP1qm73cno1_500.jpg

Mr Mystery
02-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Cue EG!

Helmets on gents! :p

Psychosplodge
02-24-2013, 01:59 PM
i think the lower pic mocks the upper one enough don't you?

Mr Mystery
02-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Rather have it and not need it comrade!

Psychosplodge
02-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Rather have it and not need it comrade!

lol :D

http://25.media.tumblr.com/e7275c4d1ba4f960948174d79ed1c653/tumblr_mir24xMBmC1ql99t0o1_500.jpg

Psychosplodge
03-01-2013, 09:02 AM
OMG

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/857594_477145112340745_825050008_o.png

DrLove42
03-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Its not that suprising really.

Consoles are where multiplatform games make the majority of their money.

The use of PC as a beta test almost is inspired though.

I still wouldn't get it. No interest in it on any platform.

Rumour is Sony aren't going to make the Holiday 2013 window as the hardware production has hit a snag.

Psychosplodge
03-01-2013, 09:25 AM
I wouldn't be right chuffed if I was paying full price to take part in the beta testing though, would you? :D

DrLove42
03-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Nah but calling it a beta is a bit underselling it.

A beta is a small portion of the game for bug testing and server optimising.

What D3 is is a full version of the game, that works by itself, delivers the full product and has had its own problems patched

Psychosplodge
03-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Idk haven't played it. I heard it wasn't worth the hype...

Wildeybeast
03-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Its not that suprising really.

Consoles are where multiplatform games make the majority of their money.

The use of PC as a beta test almost is inspired though.

I still wouldn't get it. No interest in it on any platform.

Rumour is Sony aren't going to make the Holiday 2013 window as the hardware production has hit a snag.

Don't bet on it. They'll move heaven and earth to get it out for then. For a start it is their biggest sales window and secondly Xbox will be out then and they need to be competing for sales.

eldargal
03-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Idk haven't played it. I heard it wasn't worth the hype...

Which is only because Diablo fans are raging nutjobs that don't realise the series has always been a cheesy, average RPG that excelled only in hack 'n slash. Blizzard delivered what they promised, Diablo fans failed to manage their expectations. I say this as someone who is not a particular fan of the Diablo series but I have D3 and it is just like D2 but with better graphics and a different skill system the same way D2 was just like D1 but with better graphics and a different skill system.

The whole damned franchise isn't worth the hype if you ask me and it's like the fanbase only just noticed. I was telling them to lern2playBaldursGate2 back when D2 launched and did they listen? No. Now whose laughing? That's right.

White Tiger88
03-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Which is only because Diablo fans are raging nutjobs that don't realise the series has always been a cheesy, average RPG that excelled only in hack 'n slash. Blizzard delivered what they promised, Diablo fans failed to manage their expectations. I say this as someone who is not a particular fan of the Diablo series but I have D3 and it is just like D2 but with better graphics and a different skill system the same way D2 was just like D1 but with better graphics and a different skill system.

The whole damned franchise isn't worth the hype if you ask me and it's like the fanbase only just noticed. I was telling them to lern2playBaldursGate2 back when D2 launched and did they listen? No. Now whose laughing? That's right.

No D3 is NOT like diablo 2........ Diablo 2 was awesome and had a point in replaying (not to mention MUCH better designed levels\boss fights) Diablo 3 was a total let down that took under 3 hours to clear with a terrible ending that made next to no freaking sense.

eldargal
03-02-2013, 12:28 AM
So just like every other Diablo game.:p Sorry but it has forever been a mindless hack and slash game with vestigial narrative. Diablo 3 was more of the same. I think it just that the fanbase had grown up and couldn't see past the nostalgia, so when they get another dose of Diablo it underwhelmed. I went into it expecting more Diablo and I wasn't disappointed.

White Tiger88
03-02-2013, 02:03 AM
So just like every other Diablo game.:p Sorry but it has forever been a mindless hack and slash game with vestigial narrative. Diablo 3 was more of the same. I think it just that the fanbase had grown up and couldn't see past the nostalgia, so when they get another dose of Diablo it underwhelmed. I went into it expecting more Diablo and I wasn't disappointed.

Diablo 2 is more fun then 3 due to the fact they put TIME into it and didn't rush the levels to look like junk with unbalanced damage\drops (well to the extent they are now, Don't get me going on the RMAH) Diablo 3 could of been great but it was just badly designed to be honest.

Psychosplodge
03-13-2013, 07:06 AM
So fuzz posted this (http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=1422) elsewhere :D

Wolfshade
03-13-2013, 07:37 AM
Well you know 8Gb Ram without having WinDoze taking resources (or any other OS) should be slightly quicker...

Two things firstly it doesn't show what frequency it is at (though in RL there is minimial difference between 1333 Hz & 1600 Hz) and secondly itsn't like you can get 16GB ram readily available 4x4Gb hmmm...

Mr Mystery
03-13-2013, 07:44 AM
Mmm. PC Gamer Elitism site! (not you personally Psycho, the linked site)

Me, I have a PS3. Why do I have a PS3? I have a 3D telly, PS3 is cost effective. And I love God of War.

And as said before, I will pick up a PS4, quite possibly on release day. Why? I kind of like the concept of hardware I will never need to upgrade to keep playing games for the forseeable future :)

Psychosplodge
03-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Mmm. PC Gamer Elitism site! (not you personally Psycho, the linked site)

Me, I have a PS3. Why do I have a PS3? I have a 3D telly, PS3 is cost effective. And I love God of War.

lol don't worry about it, I'm a minor pc elitist, but until they have a console game that can compete with total war, civilisation, or neverwinter nights I always will be...
I have a ps3, wii and PC, can't remember the last time I turned either the wii or PS3 on...
I have sunk hundreds of hours into fallout 3, fallout vegas and GTA IV(PC port was unplayable) though on the PS3, so when they do it right...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
03-13-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm a minor pc elitist

And I'm sure Hitler was a MINOR dictator. ;)

Wolfshade
03-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Well he was short...

Psychosplodge
03-13-2013, 09:48 AM
And I'm sure Hitler was a MINOR dictator. ;)

Compared to the likes of Stalin or Mao?