PDA

View Full Version : Necron Tomb Blades

Maelstorm
02-18-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm looking for Necron Player thoughts on the Tomb Blades. I play most games at 1500 and 1850 points.

I'm very familiar with all of the other Fast Attack options but I'm hesitant to put together a pile of Tomb Blades if they are not worth the trouble.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Learn2Eel
02-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Tomb Blades may not be as effective as Wraiths or Canoptek Scarabs, but I think they are very decent light harassers. They provide some cheap, mobile firepower that - with gauss - can worry vehicles and light infantry alike. The upgrades are purely up to you, they don't need the but they are useful. The extra Ballistic Skill when their guns are already twin-linked isn't all that great, I think, but the Stealth upgrade or +3 armour save are worth it. Just make sure not to go too crazy on upgrading them, as they are meant to be light harassers and not a point sink. They are also pretty bad in an assault, so you need to be careful with their positioning. Jink means Stealth isn't necessary, but it depends on what you expect to be shot by. If you think they will be targeted more by light arms fire, their T5 base and the +3 armour upgrade will go a long way. But if you are expecting plasma weaponry and the like to be their bane, the Stealth upgrade may be better. As for Tesla against Gauss, I think it boils down to what you want the unit to shoot at - gauss is a lot more versatile, and Tomb Blades can put out enough shots to worry light vehicles. Conversely, Tesla will mow down horde units with impunity. I think they are a good unit personally, but others may disagree. They have awesome models too!

Maelstorm
02-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Thank you for the quick response. Is the blast weapon worth the extra points?

I'm currently running 5 Necron Destroyers as they put down 6-7 Space Marines per turn (S5, AP3 Gauss) with no armor saves, re-rolling both to-hit and to-wound against everything!

boestera
02-18-2013, 10:34 PM
I own 15 Tomb Blades with Particle Beamers and will say that yes the weapon upgrade is worth it. For 150pts you get 5 templates that can put out a lot of hurt, I don't really bother with the other upgrades because this unit is a light harasser and for as cheap as they are, I am not afraid to lose a few.

Tynskel
02-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I have used the particle beamers. I do like the n00b scopes, too. The enhanced BS with the blasts make them effective, even if they get shot to hell. Just 1 or 2 flying around can put out a lot of wounds.

Maelstorm
02-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions:

I'll give a unit of 5 with the Particle Beamers and scope as go at the next game.

Now to dig-up the Jetbike rules...

Maelstorm
02-19-2013, 10:05 PM
I opened a couple of boxes of Tomb Blades - they are TINY - even the flying bases are only 30mm! This should open-up a lot of movement and placement possibilities on the tabletop. :D

Odd note: A box of 3 Tomb Blades comes with 4 flying stems - all different heights/lengths?