PDA

View Full Version : Old Metal Tactical Pads - Worth Using?

Alrik_40000
02-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Hey guys, just wanted a bit of advice and assistance! I'm building a new Crimson Fists army and I'm using the resin Fist shoulder pads GW put out a few months ago. Obviously I'll be painting the chapter symbol since it's engraved in the pad, but I'm wondering if ordering the metal Tactical shoulder pads for the right arm is a good idea. I'm interested in using these over decals for a couple of reasons.

First, I've always hated the way decals look, no matter what solvents you use or how you apply them, they still look obviously like decals to me. I guess I'm a bit ob-comp like that, but it drives me nuts because I know that it's essentially just a fancy sticker I put on. Secondly, I want the models to look totally uniform - I know that there's no way the red of the Tactical symbol and the painted-on red of the chapter symbol are going to match. Again, nitpicky I know, but that's just how I am.

Anyway, the point is I'm considering ordering some of the Tac symbol pads from GW, but my only concern is how well they match up in size to the current resin and plastic shoulder pads. I have some of the Fast Attack pads on some Assault Marines I build a few years ago, and they are quite obviously smaller than the current plastic shoulder pads. I know I'm probably the only person that would notice, but it would be really annoying to me if they didn't match. Has anyone used these lately? If so, can you tell me if they're closer in size to new plastic pads, or if they're smaller like the fast attack pads?

Worse comes to worst, I guess I could always take some blank pads and green stuff on a Tac arrow, but that's awful time-consuming to do on 30 + marines....

Anyway, if you guys got any advice, that would be really helpful!

Calgar33
02-18-2013, 01:47 AM
I use the Ultramarine ones for my army, unfortunately they are are a bit smaller, noticeably if you look closely

miteyheroes
02-18-2013, 06:30 AM
A tactical arrow is relatively simple to just free-hand paint? No curved lines or anything.

Blackcloud6
02-18-2013, 03:43 PM
> First, I've always hated the way decals look, no matter what solvents you use or how you apply them, they still look obviously like decals to me.

Here is how to make your decals look like they are painted on:

1. Glosscoat the model. I use Future Floor Wax straight from the bottle through the airbrush.

2. Put the decals on using your fav setting asolution and solvent.

3. Glosscoat the model again (seals in the decal and fills inthe ridges.

4. Flatcoat the model. I use Testors Dullcoat.

The key is putting the decals down on a glossy surface. if you put them on a flat one, airgets in underneath and the paper will not adhere flat.

Aegwymourn
02-18-2013, 08:34 PM
I have ordered a set of both the tactical shoulder pads and the resin crimson fists pads and I can say that even from a distance they are noticeably smaller. Personally if I had a chance to do it over I would probably not buy them. The resin crimson fists pads are awesome though. Still have to put up with finecast being rubbish though.