PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Mech Space Marines REVISED

Falconjab
02-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Was trying to figure out how to get all my favorite units into a 1500 mech Space Marine army. I knew I wanted Tactical Terminators, Tacticals in Rhinos, a Dread, and a Stormtalon. With the new "Death from the Skies" supplement dropping, I decided to finally just commit to flyers. And since I already have a Stormraven and most of the models on this list, it seemed to just fit.

1500 Pt. Salamanders

HQ -
Terminator Librarian with Storm Shield: 140

Elites -
Terminator Squad, Cyclone Missile Launcher, 1x Chainfist: 235
Dreadnought with 2x TL Autocannons: 125

Troops -
Tactical Squad x10, Flamer, Heavy Bolter (or ML), Combi-Flamer: 180
Tactical Squad x10, Meltagun, Multimelta, Melta Bombs, Rhino: 215

Fast Attack -
Stormtalon with TL Assault Cannon, Skyhammer Missile Launcher: 155

Heavy Support -
Stormraven with TL Multi-Melta, TL Lascannons, Hurricane Bolters: 230

First Tactical Squad goes in the Stormraven for late-game objective clearing (with 2x Flamer shots, rapid firing Bolters, and the Hurricane Bolters on the SR), both Rhinos flank in late-game, and the Terminators/Librarian and Dreadnought hold down my side of the table. This list doesn't need to be overpowered, just fairly competitive, as my main focus is the hobby. Thoughts or corrections?

Anggul
02-17-2013, 12:01 PM
I would always take the Typhoon Missile Launcher over the Skyhammer. You only have 1 less shot and you increase by +1S and AP, along with the choice of firing Frag Missiles, which means you're a lot more likely to damage higher armour flyers and vehicles and can seriously threaten almost all monstrous creatures and infantry if you don't have enemy flyers and vehicles to fire at.

Falconjab
02-17-2013, 04:32 PM
I thought about it, for sure. But in the end, I'm not planning on using it against AV 12 flyers, and even if I was... in my mind, 3 S7 shots>2 S8 shots. Anything T5 and below is wounded on a 2+ with either weapon, and all AV 11 and AV 10 vehicles/flyers are almost certainly going to get penetrated by one of 3 shots. Plus, with the TL Assault Cannon on the Stormtalon, I can put out 4 S6 AP4 and 3 S7 AP4 shots. They kinda fill similar roles... volume fire, high str high (or low, depending on how you look at it) AP. Seems to make sense to keep them together.

In other news, does anyone else have any other comments? I can't tell if the two flyers makes this list hard to deal with or just decreases the amount of bodies/vehicles I can put on the table.

Falconjab
02-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Any thoughts on the overall viability of the list? Really don't want to assemble this army, just to see it's terrible in-game.

Kaijne
02-18-2013, 11:48 PM
It seems like an extremely reasonable list, i don't know how it will fare in tournament play, but it looks like it would be fun to play in pick up games. I don't own any flyers, so i don't know how its going to play out on the table

Anggul
02-19-2013, 03:31 AM
Believe me, you'll be thankful for the option of Frag blasts and AP3 which can also Instant-Death a lot of things. It's easily worth 1 less shot to be so much more powerful and versatile.

Vashtek
02-19-2013, 04:16 AM
Was trying to figure out how to get all my favorite units into a 1500 mech Space Marine army. I knew I wanted Tactical Terminators, Tacticals in Rhinos, a Dread, and a Stormtalon. With the new "Death from the Skies" supplement dropping, I decided to finally just commit to flyers. And since I already have a Stormraven and most of the models on this list, it seemed to just fit.

1500 Pt. Salamanders

HQ -
Terminator Librarian with Storm Shield: 140

Elites -
Terminator Squad, Cyclone Missile Launcher, 1x Chainfist: 235
Dreadnought with 2x TL Autocannons: 125

Troops -
Tactical Squad x10, Flamer, Heavy Bolter (or ML), Combi-Flamer: 180

Fast Attack -
Stormtalon with TL Assault Cannon, Skyhammer Missile Launcher: 155

Heavy Support -
Stormraven with TL Multi-Melta, TL Lascannons, Hurricane Bolters: 230

First Tactical Squad goes in the Stormraven for late-game objective clearing (with 2x Flamer shots, rapid firing Bolters, and the Hurricane Bolters on the SR), both Rhinos flank in late-game, and the Terminators/Librarian and Dreadnought hold down my side of the table. This list doesn't need to be overpowered, just fairly competitive, as my main focus is the hobby. Thoughts or corrections?

The Storm Talon with Skyhammer is now only 125 points. With a cyclone they are 145.

Not sure you can have twin linked multi melta and twin lascannon on the Raven but you might be right. I would take the asscannon over the lascannon, especially if you are taking hurricane bolters. Rest of the list is fine (if not that exciting). I would take the missile launcher on the tac squad so you have a squad that can stay on your home base.

Falconjab
02-19-2013, 04:45 AM
Great news on the lower price for the Stormtalon. That thing was a little overpriced, imo. You can definitely take a TL Multi-Melta and TL Lascannon on the Raven. I would love to have the Assault Cannon, but I'd like a little more tank-busting power on that thing. Hurricane Bolters can still fire at a different unit with Power of the Machine Spirit. Although... firing the Hurricane Bolters and Assault Cannon on the turn the Tactical Squad disembarks would be pretty sick.

I would normally take a Missile Launcher too, but the whole point of that first Tactical Squad is to load into the Stormraven and drive my opponents' troops off an objective late in the game. Heavy Bolter just seemed to make more sense (snap firing; plus, the unit is based around anti-infantry anyway so the HB wouldn't be that big of a step down).

Still not sold on the Typhoon vs. Skyhammer but I'll test it out later, I guess. Thanks for the input.

And yea, the list definitely isn't so flashy/exciting. I think it'll be fun but right now it kinda looks boring on paper.

Vashtek
02-19-2013, 05:13 AM
Great news on the lower price for the Stormtalon. That thing was a little overpriced, imo. You can definitely take a TL Multi-Melta and TL Lascannon on the Raven. I would love to have the Assault Cannon, but I'd like a little more tank-busting power on that thing. Hurricane Bolters can still fire at a different unit with Power of the Machine Spirit. Although... firing the Hurricane Bolters and Assault Cannon on the turn the Tactical Squad disembarks would be pretty sick.

I would normally take a Missile Launcher too, but the whole point of that first Tactical Squad is to load into the Stormraven and drive my opponents' troops off an objective late in the game. Heavy Bolter just seemed to make more sense (snap firing; plus, the unit is based around anti-infantry anyway so the HB wouldn't be that big of a step down).

Still not sold on the Typhoon vs. Skyhammer but I'll test it out later, I guess. Thanks for the input.

And yea, the list definitely isn't so flashy/exciting. I think it'll be fun but right now it kinda looks boring on paper.

My point with the missile launcher is that every list (I think) needs a troops unit that is happy to sit on an objective deep in home territory away from the front lines. If you combat squadded your first tac squad, you could have the dual flamer combat squad to take enemy bases, the two rhino squads/ terminators to act in midfield, and the missile launcher combat squad to sit on the home base providing support, with the dread. If the combat squad only had a heavy bolter they will be out of range a lot of the time (and also not as versatile - frag missiles are actually fine most of the time against infantry and missile launchers can blow stuff up).

Obviously, some of the time (e.g. killpoint missions) you don't need/ want a homebase unit and the whole lot can go in the Stormraven.

I actually quite like the list, though I think I would lose the dreadnought and a few upgrades and get a couple of vindicators. Vindicators are a lot of fun and can work nicely with the null zone librarian power. You already have plenty of air defence in your flyers so IMO you don't really need the dread and it has low front armour compared to the vindicators. Their flanks can be protected with your rhinos.

Falconjab
02-19-2013, 06:19 AM
Well, I actually didn't total up the Tactical Squads correctly. They're ten extra points, so even if I drop the Stormtalon total to 125 and completely lose the Dreadnought, I only have 135 points to work with. Don't think I can lose enough upgrades for the Vindicators... if I completely take away all my upgrades, none of my units will do much. I do like Vindicators, but they're much better with Siege Shields (so they'll be more expensive) and I just really want to paint a Dreadnought haha. This will give me an excuse. I know a Rifle Dread isn't as good as a Vindicator, but since I'm not taking this list to a tournament I'm not sure I care.

Thank you very much for the advice though. I'll definitely think about combat squadding the Tactical Squad and leave a Missile Launcher on my side of the table. It's a good idea, definitely. I'll probably paint a Missile Launcher marine anyway to have both options.

spaceman91
02-28-2013, 04:26 PM
asscannon

i dread to think what an asscannon is :-P. Sorry i had to.