PDA

View Full Version : Air Brush help needed!

White Tiger88
02-14-2013, 04:14 AM
Well i will be air brushing my whole army to base coat in the next few days! I will be using Tamiya German Grey paint along with tamiya paint thinner........However i have some questions

-What % do i mix paint\ thinner
-What PSI should i spray at?
-General tips!

Thanks

Tiger

Aegwymourn
02-14-2013, 02:06 PM
the % mixed depends on the consistancy of the paint and the thinner. The paint should have the same look as milk. There are a lot of youtube videos showing how people thin their paints accordingly.

the PSI that you should be spraying at will be based on the airbrush you have. the instruction booklet should have the information things like that.

I have only started airbrushing at xmas so I am beginner as well. The biggest thing I would caution is use a number of test minis before doing anything important. depending on your airbrush it takes a lot to get used to using the trigger and where the paint is landing. Also there are a couple of miniture paints out now that come pre-thinned specifically for airbrushes (vallejo model air and another by spikey bits?) that I am seriously considering.

Nemesis
02-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Well Tiger---the main thing to remember with Tamiya paints it that they dry fast, especially in an airbrush. I had lots of trouble with clogged nozzles etc. until I heard about Windsor & Newtons Flow Improver. I diluted the paint with about 50% water and 50% Improver---huge difference! As has been stated, about the consistency of milk is about right. Just remember tho', if your just using water, try not to stop spraying until your finished and then use airbrush cleaner, (Badger or other), right away as any pauses, to admire your work for instance, and you could well be in clogged heaven.

OrksOrksOrks
02-15-2013, 03:45 AM
German Grey paint

:rolleyes:

White Tiger88
02-15-2013, 04:10 AM
:rolleyes:

What....My DKOK are german! they match with my custom tanks :3

OrksOrksOrks
02-15-2013, 06:41 AM
What....My DKOK are german! they match with my custom tanks :3

Of course they are. Do you collect German tanks in FoW as well by any chance?

White Tiger88
02-19-2013, 12:59 AM
Of course they are. Do you collect German tanks in FoW as well by any chance?

Yes....Panzer group Peiper :3 6 panthers,3 king tigers and so on.

Also do GW washes work with Tamiya paints all right?

White Tiger88
02-22-2013, 03:13 AM
Anyone?

DWest
02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
I don't see why the GW washes wouldn't work on Tamiya paints. The main thing is surface texture; the "roughness" of the paint will determine how well the wash flows- a smooth glossy surface will let the washes roll right down, whereas a very flat surface (think flat spraycan primer) will suck up the wash almost like a stain. You should be fine with an airbrushed topcoat to apply the wash, but if you're really worried, put down a thin coat of gloss varnish first to give the wash something to flow over, as you can always apply flat after you're done with everything.

Vorlon
02-24-2013, 01:01 AM
GW Washes work with Tamiya paints quite well. I find adding a touch of flow enhancer (maybe 5% or so....Ive never really measured) to the wash will work wonders . What type of airbrush do you use btw?