PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pt 'Shooty' Eldar army vs Khorne CSM - Thoughts?

spartan67
02-13-2013, 11:25 PM
ny and all input would be much appreciated. My game is on 2/17/13. Thanks!

I'll be playing a 'friendly' against a Khorne CSM army that is all or almost all foot. I realize that depending on the mission/victory conditions and terrain, this could very possibly be a disaster from the outset for me. That being said, here is my list:

1 Farseer - RoWard, RoWit, SS, Fortune, Guide (Warlord)

3 Farseer - RofWit, SS, Fortune, Guide

10 Rangers - Pathfinders
10 Rangers - Pathfinders
10 Rangers - Pathfinders

3 Guardian Jetbikes
3 Guardian Jetbikes

1 Wraithlord - Flamers, BL, Sword
1 Wraithlord - Flamers, BL, Sword
5 Dark Reapers

4+1 Swooping Hawks w/Exarch - Skyleap, Intercept

I'm going to try a defensive game and refuse him CC as much and as long as possible. The mission, the amount of terrain there is and where it's placed will be HUGE in this game for me.

I'll place my Rangers in buildings wherever possible. The 'warlord' Farseer and two other Farseers will be placed in each Ranger unit. The last Farseer will be placed with the Dark Reapers who I'll also give as much cover to as possible. They will use Fortune and Guide on their own unit every turn.

The Wraithlords with their BL's will be used to combat any vehicles and they will 'back up' the Ranger units if they're charged when possible.

The Swooping Hawks will be used to combat Chaos Cultists via Skyleap and maybe be sent on a suicide mission on a key vehicle if necessary.

The 2 small jetbike units are for grabbing corners, line breaking, capturing or contesting objectives at the end or even grabbing the relic if we play that mission.

Falconjab
02-13-2013, 11:42 PM
Are you using an additional primary detachment, to get those 4 Farseers? Cause if not, you can't take 3 Farseers in the same unit.

That being said... if you do choose to bring 4 Farseers, why are you not taking Doom? The whole point of shooty Eldar is to focus-fire one unit that's Doomed and literally wipe it off the board. 30 Rangers with rerolls to wound? Sign me up. You really only need to take Doom once or twice to see some awesome results.

Like you said, this list could go horribly wrong, depending on mission conditions and how the board's set up. With next to zero CC potential (outside the Wraithlords) you will get tabled if he can get enough units close. I personally think you have way too many points in your Pathfinders. They're a great unit, but they're expensive and specialized. They can take a solid amount of fire, with their improved cover saves, and they move well in terrain. But what are you really bringing them for? They can pin down and weaken Space Marines, but they really excel against HIGH toughness 3+ or 4+ save models (well, and Terminators, of course). For 750 points, you could bring only one or even two Pathfinder squads and find room for a minimal Guardian squad and some Elites.

This is just a minor thing, but I'm not crazy about Wraithswords. I suppose it's only ten points, but you already have WS 4 and your wraithlord only gets two attacks. In games I've seen it used, they really don't do much. Up to you though, of course.

spartan67
02-14-2013, 12:43 AM
How about getting rid of one Ranger unit, adding a 10 man Harlequin+Shadowseer unit (all with HK), trading out the Wraithswords for starcannons, getting rid of one of the Farseers and trading one of the three remaining farseers for Eldrad? I could also give one of the Farseers Doom so I'd have access to it twice in a turn if need be.

I could hold the Harlequins in reserve to react to any CC threat to the Rangers or Reapers, assuming two or more of those units are close enough to support with the Harlies.

Lost Vyper
02-14-2013, 07:13 AM
Lose the Swooping Hawks (unless you are going for that last minute line breaker) and get SOMETHING to counter that CC (it will happen :) ) and Doom, i´m with the other contributors here, it´s a must...if you have the models, WW´s (SL+SL) would reek havoc...

spartan67
02-14-2013, 12:12 PM
How about this revised army?

Eldrad - Unsure about spell breakdown. Don't need Eldritch Storm I'm sure. Not sure which unit to place with.

Farseer (w/Reapers) - RofWit, SS, Fortune, Guide (Prescience), Doom

Autarch (w/Banshees or Harlies) - Mandiblasters, Power Weapon, Death Spinner

10 Rangers - Pathfinders

10 Rangers - Pathfinders

3 Guardian Jetbikes

3 Guardian Jetbikes

5+1 Harlequins+Shadowseer - all Harlequin's Kiss

5+1 Harlequins+Shadowseer - all Harlequin's Kiss

5 Howling Banshees incl Exarch - Mirrorswords, War Shout, Acrobatic

Wraithlord - Flamers, 2x Scatter Lasers

Wraithlord - Flamers, 2x Scatter Lasers

5 Dark Reapers incl Exarch - Tempest Launcher, Fast Shot

I could add to the HB's and reduce one of the Harlie units by 1 I guess.

Falconjab
02-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Alright, this is a completely different idea, but if you don't have most of these models yet you might prefer it. I built a similar list when 6th edition came out for my friend who plays Eldar. He destroys with it now. Worst idea I've ever had haha.

Eldrad Ulthran (w/Wraithguard) - (PS you get all the spells and he can cast three a turn; no need to pick and choose)

Farseer (w/Rangers)- RofWit, SS, Guide, Doom

10 Pathfinders: 250

10 Pathfinders: 250

10 Wraithguard, Warlock w/ Spiritseer, Conceal, and Spear: 399

3 War Walkers, 2x Scatter Lasers each: 180

Wraithlord - Flamers, Scatter Laser, Bright Lance: 150

Wraithlord - Flamers, Scatter Laser, Bright Lance: 150

5 Guardian Jetbikes, 1 w/ Shuriken Cannon: 120

12 Guardian Defenders, Bright Lance, Warlock w/ Embolden, Spear: 159

Total: 1998

Eldrad stays with the Wraithguard as a CC deterrent and deathstar. Spiritseer can give them a 5+ cover save, Eldrad can give them Fortune (and Guide, if necessary), and because of his Staff of Ultramar and 3+ invulnerable, he is a total beast in close combat. He can cut your unit out of CC when it needs to. 10 Wraithcannons with Guide and Doom is NO joke. Because you have 10, they count as Troops. Your guardians and the guardian jetbikes control objectives, and your walkers cause general havok. Noticed you didn't have any bright lances, so I added three. They're very important against AV 14. Plus, the War Walkers put out a serious amount of firepower and can outflank, if the mission calls for it. And with three total psykers (including the spiritseer warlock) you won't have a problem with Wraithsight. This list is built for synergy. I would build it.