PDA

View Full Version : Benny XVI to resign!

Wolfshade
02-11-2013, 05:11 AM
Benedict XVI is set to resign at the end of the month. The reasons surrounding this is unknown. Rumourmongering to follow.

Possible reasons:
Inappropriate Relations
Performance Enhancing Drugs
Historical Political differences
Perma-banned from CoD

DrLove42
02-11-2013, 05:16 AM
I didn't know Popes could resign. I thought it was a "till death" kind of thing

Wolfshade
02-11-2013, 05:24 AM
1294 Pope Celestine V issued a papal decree that Popes could resign, thus making it legal for them to do so and then promptly did resigned.

He has resigned because he has got too old in his opinion, he doesn't have the strength of body or mind to continue to lead the church.

I think it would be better to leave while you are on top of things then to continue on despite being ill and no longer able to govern like John Paul II.

DrLove42
02-11-2013, 05:35 AM
What does a retired pope do? Go down Church hall and play Bingo every week?

White Tiger88
02-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Crap beat me to posting it...... Someone must of found documents on what he did with some kids too -_-

Wolfshade
02-11-2013, 05:43 AM
That question isn't as flippant as it might first appear.

Firstly, what will his title be?
In the Anglican church the Archbishop of Canterbury resigns "regularly". There is form and process of what they are called and what they do. They usually become suffragen bishop. So retains title of Bishop, but in a location but not necessarily the Bishop of a Diocease.

The last on was in C15 so we don't know what title, he was Bishop of Rome and Caridnal so will probably retain those but without a See.

What will he do?
Well this is unprecedented and probably depends more on where he chooses to retire to.

Wolfshade
02-11-2013, 05:45 AM
Crap beat me to posting it...... Someone must of found documents on what he did with some kids too -_-

I'm not so sure, apparently he advised John Paul II to resign while he was ill, so it seems to suggest that if he is feeling frail and infirm it is just and right that he should choose to resign while he still can.

White Tiger88
02-11-2013, 05:46 AM
That question isn't as flippant as it might first appear.

Firstly, what will his title be?
In the Anglican church the Archbishop of Canterbury resigns "regularly". There is form and process of what they are called and what they do. They usually become suffragen bishop. So retains title of Bishop, but in a location but not necessarily the Bishop of a Diocease.

The last on was in C15 so we don't know what title, he was Bishop of Rome and Caridnal so will probably retain those but without a See.

What will he do?
Well this is unprecedented and probably depends more on where he chooses to retire to.

I would think Switzerland and secret bank accounts.

Psychosplodge
02-11-2013, 06:06 AM
But now GWAR's **** pope routine won't work anymore.

Denzark
02-11-2013, 06:07 AM
The Telegraph says the last Pope to resign did so in 1425. Impressive.

Not many people with both Hitler Jugend and God's top boy on the planet on their CV, respect to him, chillin wiv da Nunz in his retirement palace.

White Tiger88
02-11-2013, 06:09 AM
The Telegraph says the last Pope to resign did so in 1425. Impressive.

Not many people with both Hitler Jugend and A Criminal Groups Leader on the planet on their CV, respect to him, chillin wiv da Nunz in his retirement palace.

Fixed.

Kirsten
02-11-2013, 06:18 AM
commentator on the BBC news has said he possibly burdened by the sex abuse scandal and that was totally unfair.

Except, you know, for the fact that he is heavily implicated in keeping it secret... If he wasn't a high ranking religious figure he would have been arrested and investigated, but of course living in vatican city makes you magically immune to the law.

Wolfshade
02-11-2013, 06:18 AM
One has to remember that when he was in the Jugend, it was the equivalent to the Boy Scouts only everyone could join, indeed there were issues if you did not.

White Tiger88
02-11-2013, 06:40 AM
commentator on the BBC news has said he possibly burdened by the sex abuse scandal and that was totally unfair.

Except, you know, for the fact that he is heavily implicated in keeping it secret... If he wasn't a high ranking religious figure he would have been arrested and investigated, but of course living in vatican city makes you magically immune to the law.

Yup, i would love to see him talk and have the church sued like the rich fat Kid it is.

alshrive
02-11-2013, 06:41 AM
could not agree with Wolfshade more about the Jugend remark. I have nothing but utmost resprect for His Holiness Benedict XVI, he is putting the needs of the many ahead of the needs of the few or the one (new meme; Spock-Pope!) What he is doing is right for the Church and the Catholic Faith, if anything he is demonstrating that which is required of the Papacy. He is demonstrating how humble he is- recognising his own weakness.

Wolfshade
02-11-2013, 06:41 AM
Dear Brothers,

I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonisations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church.

After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry.

I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering.

However, in today's world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to steer the boat of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfil the ministry entrusted to me.

For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.

Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects.

And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff.

With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.

And that is that.
Obviously it is a conspiracy lead by the lizard men who are trying to disprove the existance of Pat Robinson

Psychosplodge
02-11-2013, 06:48 AM
And that is that.
Obviously it is a conspiracy lead by the lizard men who are trying to disprove the existance of Pat Robinson

Who?

Wolfshade
02-11-2013, 06:53 AM
Who?

Exactly

Mr Mystery
02-11-2013, 07:08 AM
Translation : People keep asking hard questions. And we've been caught with our trousers down (and a choir boy on hand) far too many times. Sod it, it's not fun anymore, I off'

eldargal
02-11-2013, 07:14 AM
Translation : People keep asking hard questions. And we've been caught with our trousers down (and a choir boy on hand) far too many times. Sod it, it's not fun anymore, I off'

He isn't an Irish priest.

Wolfshade
02-11-2013, 07:15 AM

That is a quite cynical position. I do agree that it must have been a worry and hard work, but if you consider the size of the organisation and the relatively few people which have been prosecuted it is exceedingly small. Indeed if you look at the BBC that has a much higher proportion of staff who engage in such activities. Though certainly, the beeb do not put themselves forward as moral leaders.

alshrive
02-11-2013, 07:19 AM

I think people do His Holiness a great injustice, one of his first acts as pope following the death of John Paul II he started the investigation of Fr Degollado (he actually started this prior to the death of John Paul II but completed it after his appointment) re Sexual Absuse Scandal.... he has done a lot of good for the Church in my opinion.

Mr Mystery
02-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Nor have the BBC initiatied systematic cover ups, and simply moved the known offender on to a new Parish to fiddle some new kids...

And that's the crux of it for me. It's not that it happened, flipping hard to stop a determined kiddy fiddler I'd imagine, but their reaction to it, to protect the wrong doer and in some cases, attack and discredit the victim. Given that Roman Catholic societies tend to take their religion fairly seriously, this destroyed many lives, all to save face.... Not cool, not cool at all.

eldargal
02-11-2013, 07:22 AM
Uh, Jimmy Savile. Let's put this in perspective, there are over 400 allegations against Savile alone, that is roughly the same as there are against the Catholic Chuch in all of Germany. The BBC and other media outlets actively sat on the knowledge.

I'm not Catholic. I'm not religious at all and I'm not defending the Catholic Churchs' handling of this issue. But it isn't unique and outside Ireland, the United States and Australia the scale of sex abuse is well below that of the societal 'norm'.

Wolfshade
02-11-2013, 07:23 AM
I think all people would agree with you that it is horrific and ruins lives and is total opposed to the views of the church. But it is a tiny minority, as for the beeb not covering it up well that is not really known as the facts are still emerging.

I must point out that the Church of Rome and I have a difference of opinion on a number of theological issues.

eldargal
02-11-2013, 07:30 AM
I for one am quite happy to be witnessing such a historic event. Also I don't have to feel quite so guilty about my excitement unlike when the previous Pontif died.:rolleyes:

Wolfshade
02-11-2013, 07:57 AM
I for one am quite happy to be witnessing such a historic event. Also I don't have to feel quite so guilty about my excitement unlike when the previous Pontif died.:rolleyes:

I was ringing with a band based at a Catholic Cathedral at the time and within an hour of his death we had muffled ringing in his memory. We then had a huge scramble again at white smoke.

DrLove42
02-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Once again....you gotta love BBC comment section on the subject

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304

Filter by lowest rating for maximum entertainment!

Psychosplodge
02-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Are there really a billion catholics? I would have been shocked to find a billion christians total.

eldargal
02-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Yep, over 1.1bn baptised Catholics, probably considerably fewer being active. The number is growing too, even in Europe.

Psychosplodge
02-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Yep, over 1.1bn baptised Catholics, probably considerably fewer being active. The number is growing too, even in Europe.

That is truly a scary thought.

eldargal
02-11-2013, 08:21 AM
I'd rather Catholics being the dominant religion than any of the 'merican churches.

Psychosplodge
02-11-2013, 08:23 AM
I'd rather not have any dominant section of the population basing their morals on the 2000 year old writings of goat herds.

Wolfshade
02-11-2013, 08:24 AM
I'd rather have an Anglican church dominant, after all we have the best eyebrows in the ecumenical community.

http://choiceindying.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/the-archbishop-of-canterb-007.jpg?w=595

Psychosplodge
02-11-2013, 08:29 AM
I'd rather have an Anglican church dominant, after all we have the best eyebrows in the ecumenical community.

http://choiceindying.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/the-archbishop-of-canterb-007.jpg?w=595

But aren't the scary fundamentalist yank churches the b*stard offspring of the Anglican church?

eldargal
02-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Nope, the American stuff comes from all the puritans and Dissenters we kicked the hell out in the 17th century for being ******* nutjobs.

Psychosplodge
02-11-2013, 08:38 AM
SO even back then they were separate spontaneous protestant movements not factions of the CofE?

Wolfshade
02-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Nope, the American stuff comes from all the puritans and Dissenters we kicked the hell out in the 17th century for being ******* nutjobs.

Why do I get an uneasy feeling when I find myself agreeing with you. Must be the lizardmen...

Wolfshade
02-11-2013, 08:45 AM
SO even back then they were separate spontaneous protestant movements not factions of the CofE?

Yes, it is a fact that most people overlook when the Anglican church was founded, its main opponent wasn't the Church of Rome (though certainly they weren't too thrilled) but it was the Church of Geneva, that is the Protestant church (or would become). Indeed the theology of the CofE is closer to the CofR than Protestantism.

Psychosplodge
02-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Yes, it is a fact that most people overlook when the Anglican church was founded, its main opponent wasn't the Church of Rome (though certainly they weren't too thrilled) but it was the Church of Geneva, that is the Protestant church (or would become). Indeed the theology of the CofE is closer to the CofR than Protestantism.

Well wasn't it originally the "Catholic church in England" with Henry VIII at it's head, and existed to give him a divorce(and claim the wealth of the abbeys)?

I just always assumed puritinism and methodists etc were just breakaway parts of the CofE...

Wolfshade
02-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Well wasn't it originally the "Catholic church in England" with Henry VIII at it's head, and existed to give him a divorce(and claim the wealth of the abbeys)?

I just always assumed puritinism and methodists etc were just breakaway parts of the CofE...

Yes and no. Certainly I don't recall anything about it being Catholic church in England.

And it is a bit of an embarrasement in England as the change was top down, in Scotland it was actually bottom up. Certainly the divorce was a motivator, but not the sole one, the powers of the Pope were another concern. Read some Thomas Crammer, he was the first apologist, he justified why the Church of England was necessary.

Psychosplodge
02-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Read some Thomas Crammer, he was the first apologist.

First apologist? That sounds like a ****ty job description

Also, the fount of knowledge that is wikipedia is more confusing on the issue..

Build
02-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Not sorry to see him go, especially after the recent anti-homosexual rants he's had which to honest I find utterly disgusting and small minded (although I have a gay brother, so I have a dim view of any homophobic comment). Comments on the rise of the **** party being used as a comparison to the rise in Atheism were also not award winners (I'm not Atheist though).

My only real concern though is not what he has done but on what his replacement will be like.

Gotthammer
02-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Well he probably felt like he was in a corner, but still in the spotlight - can hardly blame him for feeling like he's losing his religion.

Alternatively:

Pope joins twitter, loses all interest in day job.

Wildeybeast
02-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Ooh, a theology thread! :) Here I was thinking you guys would never discuss anything interesting. :p I for one applaud him for having the courage to stand down, allegedly he never really wanted the job in the first place and was one of the oldest popes appointed in a long time. I wonder what odds I would get on them appointing a pro-condom pope?

Brakkart
02-11-2013, 04:35 PM
I am an Athiest and have pretty much nothing but disdain for all religion, but that said I applaud Benedict XVI for what he has decided to do. Knowing that he is too sick to continue in his duties, he's chosen to step down to let another take up the role and thus see to it that the Church has able leadership. I might loathe pretty much everything that church stands for, but it is brave of him to break with almost 600 years of tradition to do this. It will be interesting to see if future Pope's do the same, because it will now look very selfish if one of them tries to cling onto their office when the fragility of old age sets in.

Phototoxin
02-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Might shake things up a bit. Better than burning out like JP2 did. He was around for aaaaaages.

Denzark
02-12-2013, 02:15 AM
I was listening to some coverage of this on R4 last night (yes, yes, I know you didn't have me pegged for the intelligentsia...)

Any hoo, guess what Popey did whilst he was a mere Cardinal?

He only headed the Convocation for the Doctrine of the Faith....

So what? I hear you ask. Well, that is only the current title of the organisation formally known as THE INQUISITION!!!!

Yes, the Pope used to be an Inquisitor before he was an Ecclesiarch.

They even have a book called the Malleus Maleficarum - the Hammer of the Witches!

How good is that?

Denzark
02-12-2013, 02:19 AM
Sorry - Congregation not convocation. Still quite droll though - burn dem witches!

Deadlift
02-12-2013, 02:31 AM
hmmmmm cant resist as Denzark mentioned Inquisition.

Our chief weapon is fear. Fear and surprise. Our two, two main weapons are fear, surprise, and a ruthless efficiency. Our three, three main weapons are fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope. Ah. Amongst our weapons are fear, surprise.... Amongst our weaponry are.... Ah. I'll come in again.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/joenortonjones/Inquisitors.jpg

Psychosplodge
02-12-2013, 02:45 AM
Ooh, a theology thread! :) Here I was thinking you guys would never discuss anything interesting. :p I for one applaud him for having the courage to stand down, allegedly he never really wanted the job in the first place and was one of the oldest popes appointed in a long time. I wonder what odds I would get on them appointing a pro-condom pope?
We always do interesting :D
About as much chance as them electing me as pope...

I was listening to some coverage of this on R4 last night (yes, yes, I know you didn't have me pegged for the intelligentsia...)

So what? I hear you ask. Well, that is only the current title of the organisation formally known as THE INQUISITION!!!!

Yeah I think a couple of the papers said as much when he was elected.

Also DL, Brilliant.

Wolfshade
02-12-2013, 03:20 AM
I might loathe pretty much everything that church stands for, but it is brave of him to break with almost 600 years of tradition to do this. It will be interesting to see if future Pope's do the same, because it will now look very selfish if one of them tries to cling onto their office when the fragility of old age sets in.

I know, all this not killing people, not stealing, treating people fairly, redemption, turning from evil and helping your neighbour totally deplorable, I'm with you dead against it...

They even have a book called the Malleus Maleficarum - the Hammer of the Witches!

It is things like this which make me wish I was Roman..

Wolfshade
02-12-2013, 03:29 AM
God isn't happy http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21421810

Psychosplodge
02-12-2013, 03:33 AM
I know, all this not killing people, not stealing, treating people fairly, redemption, turning from evil and helping your neighbour totally deplorable, I'm with you dead against it...

It is things like this which make me wish I was Roman..

I like the bit where they launched crusades to share the love in the middle east...

Wolfshade
02-12-2013, 03:41 AM
I like the bit where they launched crusades to share the love in the middle east...

But that isn't what they stood for and at the time the Papacy was more concerned with expanding it's tax base and kingdom militarily then perhaps it should.

And anyway you can't cite the middle east as everyone is always taking war there

DrLove42
02-12-2013, 03:49 AM
God isn't happy http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21421810

Oh god. That'll just the crackpots more "proof" of existence

Psychosplodge
02-12-2013, 03:51 AM
Well we can't always just use the low countries...

High building, with a metal stick on? obviously never going to attract lightening...

Wolfshade
02-12-2013, 04:00 AM
The timing is amusing though.

Psychosplodge
02-12-2013, 04:09 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/5c39bb0abe4885d5b6e0921fcc3bbcde/tumblr_mevxq0K8mM1qzopwmo1_500.jpg

Wolfshade
02-12-2013, 04:24 AM
So worth looking on my mobile for that :D Awooooooo!

Wolfshade
02-12-2013, 07:15 AM
From select friends:

"You're giving up WHAT?! for Lent."

#Take me dow to the Vatican City where the Pope is white and girls arn't permitted, oh won't you please take me home#

Psychosplodge
02-12-2013, 07:35 AM
"You're giving up WHAT?! for Lent."

Just NO.

Wildeybeast
02-12-2013, 11:52 AM

How good is that?

You didn't think that GW came up with their own ideas did you? ;)

But that isn't what they stood for and at the time the Papacy was more concerned with expanding it's tax base and kingdom militarily then perhaps it should.

And anyway you can't cite the middle east as everyone is always taking war there

Exactly. Any organisation run by people for the best part of 2000 years is bound to have some blots on it's copy book. The Crusades were as much about asserting papal control over European monarchs and the knights (would you rather have a free pass to heaven or an excommunication) as they were about spreading faith to the infidels. And they were started in response to the Turkish invasion of the Byzantine Empire and fears of the annihilation of Christianity. Also, when did we start holding people today responsible for events that took place nearly a thousand years ago?

Psychosplodge
02-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Also, when did we start holding people today responsible for events that took place nearly a thousand years ago?

When they're still using the same book? :D

Wolfshade
02-13-2013, 03:54 AM
When they're still using the same book? :D

And where does it say that you should wage war? :p

Psychosplodge
02-13-2013, 03:56 AM
Probably near the front somewhere, I haven't looked at one since junior school...

Wolfshade
02-13-2013, 04:00 AM
Probably near the front somewhere, I haven't looked at one since junior school...

Ah like Exodus 20:13 :D

Psychosplodge
02-13-2013, 04:02 AM
Ah like Exodus 20:13 :D

I'm pretty sure that one's generally ignored :D

Wolfshade
02-13-2013, 04:04 AM
I'm pretty sure that one's generally ignored :D

Only if God wills.

Psychosplodge
02-13-2013, 04:09 AM
Only if God wills.

lol

Psychosplodge
02-14-2013, 04:17 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/079dce682fa18686a9256b6af9391fbe/tumblr_mi52lkR6Pe1ql2603o1_500.jpg

Godless Zealot
02-16-2013, 01:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP1rmsCPbQU