PDA

View Full Version : question about the different land speeders

CiaphasCaine
02-10-2013, 05:25 PM
After years off I have decided to return to the wonderful world of space marines (am I allowed to type that?) and Ive decided to build dark angels. I have never run a speeder of any type so im not familar with the different types and the codex dark angels doesnt help either. I was originally going to run a vengeance because a s7 ap2 large blast seems fantastic until you realize if your in range to shoot it your probably in range of your opponents guns and you realize just how painful armor 10 can be, a heavy bolter can take the thing down and losing 140pts to a trooper is a bit painful to swallow :( . I then decided that 2 land speeders with multi meltas would fill a gap I had which was little to none tank destruction. The generic land speeder gets a multi melta for 10pts and a tornado pattern gets one for 20, what does the tornado pattern variant also come with that would make me want to pay 10 more points?

Wolfshade
02-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Tornado launcher, in effect a cyclone missile launcher for land speeders.

CiaphasCaine
02-10-2013, 05:34 PM
I may be wrong but are you thinking of the typhoon missle launcher? thats a different version

Wolfshade
02-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Sorry, yes just being sleepy. I think my codecii are upstairs, the difference is one is a replacement the other is an additional weapon, or the base price of what they are replacing initially.

Nabterayl
02-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Mechanically, the Tornado pattern Land Speeder is just a Land Speeder with a second gun. If it's got only one weapon, it's a stock Land Speeder. If it's got an additional chin weapon, it's a Tornado pattern Land Speeder. The Tornado pattern multi-melta costs more than the "regular" multi-melta because you're taxed for that second weapon.

walrusman999
02-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Nabterayl has it right.

Regular: 1 shotgun cockpit weapon
Tornado: 1 cockpit weapon + Under-slung nose weapon
Typhoon: 1 cockpit weapon + Missile launchers
Storm: 1 cockpit weapon and transports scouts
New Dark Angels landspeeder: dunno I haven't gotten a chance to look at the codex.

Houghten
02-11-2013, 12:37 AM
What's really weird is that a Land Speeder with multi-melta and Tornado pattern heavy flamer / Land Speeder with heavy flamer and Tornado pattern multi-melta cost different amounts.

Tynskel
02-11-2013, 06:47 AM
Don't forget the dark shroud. It can protect you expensive vengeance land speeder. And well, protect lots of speeders.

Learn2Eel
02-11-2013, 06:56 AM
If you are using Land Speeders or a bunch of Ravenwing Bikers, a Darkshroud is always a great option :)

CiaphasCaine
02-11-2013, 08:55 AM
I would absolutely run a dark shroud if I planned to keep my bikers and speeders close to each other but I do not plan to do that. The bikes are mainly for capping objectives and locator beacons for my deep striking termies and drop pods. Im running Azrael so bikes are a troop choice for me I thought that important to tell you guys before I got a bunch of posts telling me how they are not a troop choice lol.

walrusman999
02-11-2013, 01:09 PM
What's really weird is that a Land Speeder with multi-melta and Tornado pattern heavy flamer / Land Speeder with heavy flamer and Tornado pattern multi-melta cost different amounts.

Which one is cheaper?