PDA

View Full Version : Tis the season, Flu season

Deadlift
02-08-2013, 02:43 AM
So I have been struck down by the dreaded lurgy that is Flu, I seem to have quite a few symptoms which include.
Temp of 39.4 at its highest
Sore throat which actually feels like Freddie Krugar has taken up residence in my throat.
Shivers and sweats
Runny nose and a banging headache that seems to have taken root in my temples.

Now I have had colds before, but nothing that's cut me down like this. Quite frankly I feel ****.

I have read the usual things about coping with flu symptoms, but if you guys have any home remedies to sweat by, please share them with me :)

So I am asking the forums what you do when your struck down, I could use any tips you guys have, I have tried chicken soup, beds a problem as I am struggling to sleep with the sore throat. Influenza is a new thing to me, but now at least I can see what the fuss is about. It's rotten.

Wolfshade
02-08-2013, 02:59 AM
If you are coughing lots, although far from ideal, you could try sleeping with your top half propped up.

Chicken soup sounds like a boring plan, now if youwere to tikka that bad boy up it would be good :)

Seriously though turmeric is one of these wonder foods that has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and even anti-cancerous properties. It has always been a mainstay of alternative medicine (or hippy mumbo jumbo if you want the pc term) but research is being made into it.

Psychosplodge
02-08-2013, 03:08 AM
I would have suggested sleep, but that sounds out, Ice cream for the throat? I know someone that swears by hot orange with whisky and honey, and someone else who reckons jagermeister will clear what ails you. Might be a bit early in the day though for them two...

alshrive
02-08-2013, 04:09 AM
this may sound utterly ridiculous but Chicken Korma! It uses turmeric as previously mentioned, it is lovely and creamy so soothing for your sore throat. It is relatively healthy and plus every bloke loves a curry!

Psychosplodge
02-08-2013, 04:13 AM
plus every bloke loves a curry!

Not quite :p

Wolfshade
02-08-2013, 04:17 AM
this may sound utterly ridiculous but Chicken Korma! It uses turmeric as previously mentioned, it is lovely and creamy so soothing for your sore throat. It is relatively healthy and plus every bloke loves a curry!

Korma? Really? Out of all the curries you picked Korma, I can only think of one worse, and that is Edwina...

alshrive
02-08-2013, 04:23 AM
lol i suggested Korma as you don't want spice with a bad throat. Personally i would go for a Passanda in the flu situation but i just chose korma as a nice mild coconutty curry. When done properly a Korma is delightful!

Wolfshade
02-08-2013, 04:30 AM
I hate coconuts.

And yoghurt is imnsho is just wrong.

Might have to pop down to the chippy at lunch for a massala fish in nan.

alshrive
02-08-2013, 04:35 AM
i know, all this talk of curry has got me hungry! i fancy a lovely Lamb Tikka Ceylon!!

Wolfshade
02-08-2013, 04:37 AM
Ceylon is a tea /sigh.

In other news my ads are now for Currys (the electrical 'super' store)

alshrive
02-08-2013, 04:47 AM
Ceylon is also a type of curry. Both are named for their Country of Origin- Ceylon- which is modern day Sri Lanka......

Wolfshade
02-08-2013, 04:57 AM
It again suffers from being made of coconut...

alshrive
02-08-2013, 04:58 AM
yeah but it has heat and is divine! Wetherspoons do a surprisingly nice curry (belive me i never imagined myself uttering that phrase!) that is the Flaming Dragon! :D i believe we have now completely de-railed this thread. Poor Ill Deadlift- GET WELL SOON!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-08-2013, 05:09 AM
Dick.

Psychosplodge
02-08-2013, 05:12 AM
yeah but it has heat and is divine! Wetherspoons do a surprisingly nice curry (belive me i never imagined myself uttering that phrase!) that is the Flaming Dragon! :D i believe our work here is done. Poor Ill Deadlift- GET WELL SOON!

ftfy

alshrive
02-08-2013, 05:12 AM
in fairness Wetherspoons food has improved a lot and it is quite often down to which you go to, i have had some delightful dinners and some disasters!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
02-08-2013, 05:19 AM
Well played.

Wolfshade
02-08-2013, 05:19 AM
Living near the balti belt my standards are higher...

alshrive
02-08-2013, 05:22 AM
I live very near, and have lived in Leicester, won't beat me :P

Wolfshade
02-08-2013, 05:26 AM
I live very near, and have lived in Leicester, won't beat me :P

Psh.

http://britishcurryaward.co.uk/index.php/winners/award-winners-2012/attachment/05_itihaas_best-in-midlands/

Also don't forget the Balti was born in Birmingham

Brakkart
02-08-2013, 06:04 AM
Weird remedy that you might want to try, it works cos I've done it and been amazed at how effective it is. Cut the top and tail off an onion and just leave it in the room with you (in a small bowl), preferably while you go to sleep on something like your bedside cabinet. It will turn black over time, this is due to it acting like a magnet to bacteria and it is so acidic it kills them on contact. Throw it away (do not use it for cooking) after a day or so. You should also feel much better by then.

The other remedy I can recommend from personal experience is hot Honey & Lemon. Not Lemsip or anything artificial, you need a jar of actual honey (I tend to go with Orange Blossom honey cos it tastes really good) and lemon juice (freshly squeezed is best, but if not bottled is fine so long as it is pure juice). Big spoonful of honey in a mug, as much lemon juice as you like and then add in boiling hot water and stir till the honey is dissolved. Drink. Not only does it taste good, but it works a treat on colds and flu alike.

Wolfshade
02-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Onions turn black when exposed to air because the oxidise, the same way potatos do...
Onions have long been alleged to have anti-microbial effects and onion + honey was a traditional cure.

DrLove42
02-08-2013, 06:27 AM
A conconcted mix of Jack Daniels, Jack Daniels Honey LIcquer, actual honey and hot water (in about a 1:1:2:3 ratio) does me. Hold it in the mouth, gargle then swallow (giggidity).

Dont drink too much of it or the headache will ger worse!

scadugenga
02-08-2013, 08:03 AM
That sucks, Deadlift.

If this is the first day or so you can try tamiflu. It's supposed to work wonders.

Otherwise, hot tea with honey helps the throat, aleve for the headache, and lots of sleep.

I'm dealing with a plague house over here too. I'm trying to avoid a similar fate.

Psychosplodge
02-08-2013, 08:10 AM
I don't think it's easy to get a prescription for anti-virals without an underlying illness is it?

Wildeybeast
02-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Children. They won't cure you now, but constant and repeated exposure to the dirty little buggers will do wonders for your immune system. I haven't been ill in any form since my first year of teaching.

Deadlift
02-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the replys :)

So I still feel rough, but better than yesterday morning. I took some of your advice and some I ignored lol, the alcohol based ones I just couldn't face lol, but I did manage to haul myself into bed for the best part of the day yesterday and whilst I didn't sleep, I did doze. Fortunately I had the company of my vicious beast of a dog who snuggled by me.
My course of action was green tea, lovefilm on the iPad which consisted on "the goonies", "despicable me" and "iron sky" and lots of Tylenol. Tylenol isn't available here in the UK but it beats any of our cold and flu relief medication hands down, I always stock up every trip to BC. Hot baths with Epsom salts. Temp lifted this afternoon and whilst I'm not 100% I'm on the way back.
Even made it onto the Xbox for an hour of Borderlands 2.
Having a curry tonight and going to watch Paranorman with the tribe, no one will come near me so I guess the sofas all mine and the dogs :)
As for children being a preventative measure in building up your immune system, all I will say is it was one of my children that infected the rest of us, I just got it last and of course much worse than anyone else lol.
So yep on the mend and I can honestly say I don't think I have ever had flu before, bad colds yes but this bug was much worse than any cold I have had.

Thanks everyone for your input and kind words

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/joenortonjones/675194919a7e2f006f3d2c93a6de0d99.jpg

Cheers
Joe

scadugenga
02-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Glad you're feeling better!

I'm slowly succumbing to the plague here. Lots of tea, and sleep for me!

Deadlift
02-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Glad you're feeling better!

I'm slowly succumbing to the plague here. Lots of tea, and sleep for me!

Good luck my friend, I hope you recover as quickly as I seem to be. Tea certainly is brilliant anytime, or so
I found (in part to you) especially when ill.

Wolfshade
02-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Your hound looks cute :)