PDA

View Full Version : This is my dakka, there are many like it, but this one is my favourite...

Mr Mystery
02-07-2013, 08:19 AM
How do?

So, what is your favourite ranged weapon in 40k, and why?

For me, it has to be the Autocannon (rules wise), preferably the heresey era ones Forgeworld do (purely for aesthetics). It's got range. It's got hitting power. It's got two shots. It may not be the best in any particular field. but Emperor help me I'm besotted! Very few things aren't at least slightly perturbed by massed Autocannond fire!

Pendragon38
02-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Ha, same here I love my auto cannons the shear weight of lead thrown out by my dreads are great. That and you can't stop yourself from saying dakka. dakka, dakka, at your opponents. Lol

Xenith
02-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Autocannon for sure, although plasma is a second favourite.

Seven is my lucky number.

DrLove42
02-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Assault cannon (mini guns for the win, just a hail of firepower so strong it can rend apart your armour)

Or a Plasma Cannon for its shear impractically (it shoots miniature suns!)

imperialpower
02-07-2013, 08:47 AM
For me it is either the las rifel for the times when you drop someones best model with the one and only round that managed to wound out of an entire squad of Guardsmen or the star cannon mounted on a wraithlord for it's sheer awesomeness two shots at AP 2 always the backbone of my Eldar army.

DrLove42
02-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Its really hard to rule down particularly with the rule of cool

You have bolters, which shoot grenade that explode inside people
Shruriken guns, that shoot hypersonic Ninja stars
Railguns, that shoot lumps of metal at half the speed of light....
Fleshborers, that shoot worms at you that eat into your brain

And then you have the lasgun ...a flashlight

What do you call a Lasgun with a laser sight?
Twin Linked!

Psychosplodge
02-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Assault cannon (mini guns for the win, just a hail of firepower so strong it can rend apart your armour)

Or a Plasma Cannon for its shear impractically (it shoots miniature suns!)

This pretty much sums up everything I was going to say.

Pendragon38
02-07-2013, 09:26 AM
My other favorite weapon is the Thunder Fire Cannon, it's cheap and fun to blow stuff up and that look you get when you field them is great and even better when there armies start to fill the wrath of said cannon.

eldargal
02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Aesthetically I'm partial to plasma cannons and larger plasma weaponry.

But void lances and fusion guns would be my favourite from a game perspective.

DrLove42
02-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Ah Void/Dark lances.

Concentrated lasers blasts, made up of the power of darkness.

Mr.Pickelz
02-07-2013, 09:39 AM
For me it's the DakkaKannon, why? Well it can be fired after Turbo-Boosting and it has Dakka in the name, what is not to love?

Second is the Psycannon; What use to be an upgraded heavy bolter is now one of the most feared guns on the tabletop.

Edit: Now if a Dread could quad wield Assault Cannons( or psycannons)... That just might fill my Dakka itch...

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Tesla Carbines. I've had a fetish for lightning guns since Quake.

Scion_of_Terra
02-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Splinter rifles. Elegant yet cruel aesthetics, poison dakka, and bayonets.

The ones on the old school DE used to impale me when I would go to take the lil' buggers out of their case. Once had no fewer than five hanging from my hand when I pulled back.

Renegade
02-07-2013, 11:11 AM
the humble Imperial Guard grenade launcher, nothing quite as versatile in the game.

Wolfshade
02-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Assault Cannon since 2nd ed :)

Two reasons
a)3x sustained fire dice
2)
http://file017.bebo.com/0/large/2007/03/18/09/2003223227a3870554905b518785293l.jpg

Defenestratus
02-07-2013, 11:52 AM
D-Cannons.

Nothing is more fun than shooting a D-Cannon at some poor fool.

Aegwymourn
02-07-2013, 12:11 PM
From a fluff perspective it has to be all sorts of melta weaponry. Tabletop nothing beats plasma to the face of ones foes.

Dlatrex
02-07-2013, 12:17 PM
I don't think a psychic power counts as a gun, but I LOVE firing Cataclysm from the DoM'T! Typically with sufficiently crackling sound effects. The unpredictability of how much energy he will lose/gain always makes me salivate prior to shooting infantry. On that same note, the random function of the Shokk Attack Gun makes it easily in my top 3 weapons. What can I say; I'm a sucker for rolling on critical tables!

Houghten
02-07-2013, 01:45 PM
The Shokk Attack Gun is the most fun gun in the game, for sure, but it isn't very dakka.

Dlatrex
02-07-2013, 02:07 PM
The Shokk Attack Gun is the most fun gun in the game, for sure, but it isn't very dakka.
Mmmm. That's a perfectly fair point. The classic Dakka-fex was always a pleasure, and garnered a fist full of dice. The brain leech worms still make it pretty effective!

FireHazard
02-07-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm going to have to say the Volcano Cannon. Brutally effective in Apocalypse and always a favourite in Epic. Plus the early fluff for it was great:

So, Master Techmage, what have you been up to today?"

"Not much really, but I did get bored and strip down a defence laser and stick it on a tank. Fun times."

walrusman999
02-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Lascannons, because when I get enough of them together its like the drill gun from the movie The Core. And I can just punch holes in everything. After that its mostly plasma cannons and plasma guns. With a little melta in there for those few guys who need to suicide into a landraider.

Demonus
02-07-2013, 04:13 PM
For pure Dakka? Vulcan Mega Bolter....while stationary. Close second is the gun the Ork Stompa fires, that keeps firing, and firing, and firing...

Warptiger
02-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Autocannons are fun.

I used to use giant packs of chaos cultists with 2 autocannons. Blew up a leman russ once. If I remember right, back then chaos cultists needed a 6 to even hit. It hit, it penetrated, he rolled badly, and the tank blew. We both sat there in stunned silence. I felt so bad for my opponent, I apologized.

I mean, they were chaos cultists. They're weren't supposed to actually hit anything.

Zac78
02-07-2013, 11:29 PM
+1 d cannons

Dalleron
02-08-2013, 03:17 AM
I have to say that I have become fond of the pulse rifle. Strongest basic infantry gun in the game. Had a full squad shoot up the rear end of an ironclad dread once. It was good for me, not so good for him. And today, they are so much more fun.

Mr Mystery
02-08-2013, 07:07 AM
I do miss flamers in 2nd Edition though.

Nothing like popping up near some Guardsmen, giving them a quick dousing, and watching the various survivors run around pell-mell burning merrily away :) Happy days, but very daft rules!

L192837465
02-08-2013, 07:58 AM
Shokk Attakk Gun

My god, everything about that gun is pure genious.

"I'mma teleport a grot into your fusion reactor! Hah!"

Psychosplodge
02-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Wouldn't that just vaporise the grot? Now try to get snotlings to occupy the same suit of power armour as the spacemarine wearing it...

Learn2Eel
02-08-2013, 09:27 AM
That's a tough one. If we are counting ranged weapons as just guns, probably the Baleflamer - mostly because I love Dragons :)
Otherwise, it would probably be Psychic Shriek - the image of a mind being ripped apart by a scream no one else can hear is delightfully disturbing.

jifel
02-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Biovores. Because the ARE the gun. And we launch little guys at you, who hate you so much, they blow up. And if not, they'll run after you, and THEN blow up! And because screw Guardsmen.

Phototoxin
02-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Either a storm bolter MOAR DAKKA or an assault cannon. Preferably a kheres pattern :D