PDA

View Full Version : Whats the ideal squad size for Black Knights?

KTRyan
02-06-2013, 01:02 PM
So the short version is just as the title says, I'd love the input of anyone who has played a few games with guys.

Getting a bit more in depth; I personally would like to run two, five man units, but I'm afraid at that size their going to be a bit too easy to neutralize. Two unit of six would be nice but that's over 500 points and would require me to drop a long range fire support unit. My other idea is one unit of eight, it becomes a beefy squad but now I have to worry about focus fire more. Here's a rough draft of my list:

Belial
Riflemen
5x Termies
5x Termies
5x Termies
5x Black Knights
5x Black Knights
Vindy
Auto/Las Pred
Auto/Las Pred

Mr Mystery
02-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Depends entirely on what you hope they'll achieve really.

If you want them straight up the centre would have a different answer to buggering around on the flanks being an irritation!

plawolf
02-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Well I think it would be ideal to take them in multiples of 3, and 6 just seems like the magic number for me. Although if you are investing the points for 2 units of 6 BK each, it really would make sense to get a Darkshroud to boost their survivability, since at that number and points cost, they are less of supporting force and more of a mainstay of your army and as such needs to be treated as such.

Looking at your list, I would be tempted to drop the Vindy, as it will be a big fire magnet and won't likely survive long enough to get more than 1 or 2 shots off, if it gets to shoot at all.

If you still need more points after that, consider dropping the las sponsons off one or both preds. That should also free up some points to upgrade at least one termie from each squad to TH/SS.

Personally, I think each DW squad should have at least one TH/SS termie as a rule, as the ability to get a cheap storm shield into each squad to tank any AP1/2 shots/weapons is one of the best things about DW.

Just to add, I would also consider merging two of your 5 men DW squads into one big 10 men squad with 3-4 TH/SS termites in it to make the most of the no scatter DS.

Dropping that squad into the enemy's face turn one will also allow you to establish a beachhead and draw a lot of fire from your DKs, allowing them to close and do more damage with those plasma talons.

DarkLink
02-06-2013, 05:45 PM
I can't help but think that there are more point-efficient ways of getting plasma in your opponent's face.

KTRyan
02-06-2013, 10:30 PM
They are not just there for the plasma, I like the whole package they provide.

The vindy is in the list honestly to be a fire magnet and take some of the pressure off the black knights. Also I'm planning on two THSS termies per squad. I thought about making a 10 man termy squad of doom, but then I only have two scoring units, and I always try and have at least three.

Xenith
02-07-2013, 08:29 AM
The vindy is in the list honestly to be a fire magnet and take some of the pressure off the black knights

...But anti tank goes at the vindi and preds, anti infantry goes at the..well..infantry and things with toughness. The vindi wont stop any firepower going into them.

Non TH/SS terms also attract anti tank firepower, so the knights receive all the anti infantry, apart from the plasma cannons.

KTRyan
02-07-2013, 01:07 PM
This may be an difference gaming circles, here's an example of a unit that I personally face a lot. Arjac + 4 Termies w/ 3 combi-plasma and an Assault Cannon in a drop pod. It's the only pod in the list so it comes down turn 1. Assuming my knights and the vindy are both on the table he now has to choose which unit to obliterate.