PDA

View Full Version : I bought an Australian flag to present to my local Police Station.

Daemonette666
02-06-2013, 01:40 AM
In most of the civilized world we fly our national flag on the flag poles out front of our local Police stations. My local Police station has been flying the (NSW) State flag, and the Police Flag, but have not flown the Australian National flag for 2 years now. I have never had the courage or thought it worth going in and annoying/ harassing them about it in case I get in trouble (on their watched list) LOL.

I was thinking about submitting a letter to either the local city council or into the local paper about it. I previously served in the Australian Defence forces for 14 years, and have just recently purchased a medium sized flag for the Police flag pole that I will present to them, and ask them to put up. It only cost AU$22.00 and even comes with the Brass hooks to affix it to the rope.

Has anyone else notice that their local Police do not fly their National flag and fly their State flag instead? I am still a little worried that the Cops will take my generous gift of a flag the wrong way and tell me to EFF-Off.

DrLove42
02-06-2013, 02:30 AM
In Ireland it went the other way

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20651163

They tried to limit how often they fly the Union Flag, and rioting broke out for a few weeks

Psychosplodge
02-06-2013, 02:41 AM
Our council is run by wannabe communists and any suggestion of flying the St. George's cross is met with the standard suggestion of racism...Until recently the Union flag got the same response.

Daemonette666
02-06-2013, 02:47 AM
Ow, they try and appease everyone, and take the middle ground, and make enemies of both sides of the political fence. If they choose one side or the other, they get riots from the side they did not choose, and there is still a riot. I am glad it is not like that in Australia.

I thought Northern Ireland would have declared its independence by now, and still allow ties to the UK/ Great Britain so as to appease the loyalist. In Australia, we have slowly drifted away from the UK as compared to the 1940's and prior, when we were still loyal citizens of the Greater British Empire.

Any decree of Independence throughout history has ended in violence. In the end it dies down until there is only a small but persistent group who harbour a level of Hatred and could the seed for Rebellion in the future. Welcome to the world of 40K LOL, or any gaming Genre' really.

But onto the thing about the flag I am getting in the next week or so. Should I really be worried about going down to the cop shop, and presenting them a flag to fly on their flag pole. I mean it is a Gift to the Police station, and they are not having me Harass them through the Press or their superiors in Government.

Years ago when I was in the Regular Army, I presented the Darwin Robertson Barracks Army Library a book, although I just popped it in their returned books tray with a printed note saying here is a donated book for the Library. It was a soft cover copy of the Anarchist's Cook Book that i bought from The Black Rose Anarchist Book store years before it went on the Banned list. I got so worried about having it my possession while posted and living on an Army Barracks, that I decided to get rid of it.

I do not know what they did with it, but thankfully they never got wind of who had donated it. (Cross Fingers).

Daemonette666
02-06-2013, 02:48 AM
Double post, do not know what happened there.

White Tiger88
02-06-2013, 02:51 AM
Ow, they try and appease everyone, and take the middle ground, and make enemies of both sides of the political fence. If they choose one side or the other, they get riots from the side they did not choose, and there is still a riot. I am glad it is not like that in Australia.

I thought Northern Ireland would have declared its independence by now, and still allow ties to the UK/ Great Britain so as to appease the loyalist. In Australia, we have slowly drifted away from the UK as compared to the 1940's and prior, when we were still loyal citizens of the Greater British Empire.

Any decree of Independence throughout history has ended in violence. In the end it dies down until there is only a small but persistent group who harbour a level of Hatred and could the seed for Rebellion in the future. Welcome to the world of 40K LOL, or any gaming Genre' really.

But onto the thing about the flag I am getting in the next week or so. Should I really be worried about going down to the cop shop, and presenting them a flag to fly on their flag pole. I mean it is a Gift to the Police station, and they are not having me Harass them through the Press or their superiors in Government.

Years ago when I was in the Regular Army, I presented the Darwin Robertson Barracks Army Library a book, although I just popped it in their returned books tray with a printed note saying here is a donated book for the Library. It was a soft cover copy of the Anarchist's Cook Book that i bought from The Black Rose Anarchist Book store years before it went on the Banned list. I got so worried about having it my possession while posted and living on an Army Barracks, that I decided to get rid of it.

I do not know what they did with it, but thankfully they never got wind of who had donated it. (Cross Fingers).

....why is everything considered Racist now days? Then again some people think the Iron Cross is a Racist symbol......

Psychosplodge
02-06-2013, 02:52 AM
The status quo was working reasonably well - it is part of the UK afterall, but they've put themselves in a position where they can't back down.

The Ironcross looks awesome, I've got a replica for my work-in-progress steampunk airship captain costume.

White Tiger88
02-06-2013, 02:57 AM
The status quo was working reasonably well - it is part of the UK afterall, but they've put themselves in a position where they can't back down.

The Ironcross looks awesome, I've got a replica for my work-in-progress steampunk airship captain costume.

Ha i would have an Ironcross avatar if i didn't think someone would spaz :(

Anyhow....i would say put up the flag and ignore the people who get pissy.

Wolfshade
02-06-2013, 03:02 AM
Very few buildings in the UK fly the Union flag, and I think most counties do not have an actula flag, they may have a heraldic device however.

Buckingham Palace only started flying the Union Flag so that at the death of Diana Princess of Wales it could be flown at half mast.

As for your comment about NI I would stay out of that entirely, the loyalists wish to be British subjects and part of the UK, the Republicans want the exact opposite. By becoming independent of the Crown then that is too much in favour of Republicans.

Daemonette666
02-06-2013, 03:07 AM
Thanks White Tiger. I was almost going to be a copper until I realised the Army get bigger guns. :D

I used to have a small armoury at home when I was in the Army (and a Sporting shooter), now I do not even have a shotgun, just a Pick handle and a couple of Podgers under the bed. You can Google Podgers and they are just a rigger's tool that has a very pointy spike on one end, and are very heavy.

I will present the flag rather than put it up in the middle of the night. Just in case they get the wrong idea, and put me in jail. LOL. Make it a nice legal thing rather than a sneaky criminal act.

And Wolfshade, I think I will stay out of the whole NI thing, none of my business anyway.

White Tiger88
02-06-2013, 03:12 AM
Thanks White Tiger. I was almost going to be a copper until I realised the Army get bigger guns. :D

I used to have a small armoury at home when I was in the Army (and a Sporting shooter), now I do not even have a shotgun, just a Pick handle and a couple of Podgers under the bed. You can Google Podgers and they are just a rigger's tool that has a very pointy spike on one end, and are very heavy.

I will present the flag rather than put it up in the middle of the night. Just in case they get the wrong idea, and put me in jail. LOL. Make it a nice legal thing rather than a sneaky criminal act.

And Wolfshade, I think I will stay out of the whole NI thing, none of my business anyway.

Look at it this way if you get locked up over a flag you could officially say "Even china isn't this bad"

Also screw it i like this avatar more lets see if anyone gets offended for no reason.

Wolfshade
02-06-2013, 03:14 AM

Its a big mess, lets just ignore it hope it gets better :)

Daemonette666
02-06-2013, 03:16 AM
Australians have DOCs, Centrelink, the Bogans and Drop Bears to keep up busy.

Psychosplodge
02-06-2013, 03:20 AM
Australians have DOCs, Centrelink, the Bogans and Drop Bears to keep up busy.
Sounds painful.

Wolfshade
02-06-2013, 03:27 AM
Damnit and today I was hoping not to trawl wikipedia for facts/history :(

Wolfshade
02-06-2013, 03:33 AM
Ok DOCs is the one I am stuck on.

Daemonette666
02-06-2013, 03:39 AM
Department of Community Services. deals with everything from Single mums to AVO's, etc.

I thought Drop Bears would have got you. They are always mentioned to Tourists. The fabled and non existent species of Killer Koala Bears that drop from Gum trees to bite your face of, and scare attractive Swedish tourists into your caravan and not sleep in their flimsy tents. LOL

I also recommend checking out a program called "HOUSOS" which is a comedy series about a fictitious BOGAN housing commission community called Sunnyvale where there are biker gangs, criminal gangs, Dole Bludgers (people who get government benefits for not working and pretending to look for work), Dope adicts, and a whole Plethora of under class lay abouts who entertain Australia on the SBS TV channel.

Wolfshade
02-06-2013, 03:54 AM
See veggiemite (an inferior Marmite subsitute) in the hair protected me from Dropbears.

I wanted to make sure that there was no political connotations of things before making light of the situation :)

Centrelink sounds like a courier service.

Drop Bears made me think of deep striking bears into a game, maybe a counts-as ferensian wolf in a drop pod.

Seems like we all have Bogans, my initial thought though was of a Boggart, but Bogans are like Chavs it would appear.

Psychosplodge
02-06-2013, 04:03 AM
So merely some kind of large vermin?

Wildeybeast
02-06-2013, 03:31 PM

I didn't understand the change at all. Not fully up to speed with NI politics, but I didn't notice any outcry about them flying it so I don't see why they changed. They have also picked some odd days to fly it - The Duchess of Cambridge's birthday:confused:

Seems like we all have Bogans, my initial thought though was of a Boggart, but Bogans are like Chavs it would appear.

I knew what Bogans were from Neighbours. That show tells me everything I need to know about Australian culture.

Wolfshade
02-06-2013, 04:03 PM
I knew what Bogans were from Neighbours. That show tells me everything I need to know about Australian culture.

So true.

Psychosplodge
02-07-2013, 02:50 AM
I didn't understand the change at all. Not fully up to speed with NI politics, but I didn't notice any outcry about them flying it so I don't see why they changed. They have also picked some odd days to fly it - The Duchess of Cambridge's birthday:confused:
I believe a non-sectarian party voted with a nationalist party to limit the flying of the union flag, which loyalists objected violently to. The problem being they can't just go back because what of democracy?
Short sighted really as seemed an easy response to predict.

Australian culture? is that like Military Intelligence and Government Organisation?

:D

Daemonette666
02-07-2013, 05:04 AM
Wheeze gotta Straylean Kulcha, and weeze talkda goood inglush, ya no Maaaayt.

Crickey Geez Mate tha aussie culture is alive and well. We av the barbies, the footy, and cricket. A flutter (bet) at the trots (horse racing) now and then, and we love going to the beach in our cozzies (Swim suits).

Is that enough Aussie culture for you LOL. Seriously though Australia has developed its own signature culture, which everyone seems to stereotype in the movies and TV series (but they exaggerate just a little bit too much). Aussies are just like anyone else in the world. Proud of our country, and we think we are better than any other country in the world. But doesn't any other country.

Oh, there is no such ting as military Intelligence. Such an Oxymoron was developed by the same people who told you that there were wolves on Fenris. Come to think of it, Governments are never organised. Only their Civil Service is organised, and that is to hide how much money they are skimming off the Government on schemes that they hand out huge sums of money to companies that their cousins own to build things like arenas, parks, etc. LOL.

Just watch "Yes Prime Minister" for a good example. This is fun talking about crap, half of which I know is a slight exaggeration of the truth, and the rest is just, well crap.

Psychosplodge
02-07-2013, 05:19 AM
lol, I can agree with all that, and yet you still use the some of the same slang/dialect... (flutter/cozzy. Trots has an entirely different meaning...)

Wolfshade
02-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Trots does require some disambiguation.

Always could use "geegees"

Daemonette666
02-08-2013, 12:37 AM
i suppose you also use DILIGAF. Do I Look Like I Give A Fark.

Psychosplodge
02-08-2013, 02:27 AM
Not as an acronym, but I've seen the song :D

Wildeybeast
02-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Wheeze gotta Straylean Kulcha, and weeze talkda goood inglush, ya no Maaaayt.

Crickey Geez Mate tha aussie culture is alive and well. We av the barbies, the footy, and cricket. A flutter (bet) at the trots (horse racing) now and then, and we love going to the beach in our cozzies (Swim suits).

Except for the Crocodile Dundee/Steve Irwin types right? Also why do you have Aussie rules football? You play proper football and rugby (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKHtcIdD4M), so why did you feel the need to make up your own version?

Daemonette666
02-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Except for the Crocodile Dundee/Steve Irwin types right? Also why do you have Aussie rules football? You play proper football and rugby (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKHtcIdD4M), so why did you feel the need to make up your own version?

Aussie Rules Football was developed by some silly Victorian (Mexican - South of the Border), who wanted to develop an Australian version of Football to give the Aussies their own identity. Something akin to how the Americans have Grid Iron.

I am not from Victoria, so since I am currently living in New South Wales (Cockroaches), They tend to play Rugby League, and sometimes Rugby Union. Soccer is played throughout Australia. Aussie Rules which many people (myself included) call Aerial Ping-Pong or GAY-FL, and they tend to watch the better forms of Footy such as Rugby and Soccer (more of the European and Middle eastern Australians prefer the soccer to the Rugby). I was born in Queensland (Cane Toad), and We traditionally play Rugby League (with touch footy for the girls).

We have many inter-State and inter-Suburb rivalries when it comes to sports and sports teams. Strangely though I hate watching Sport of any kind really on the TV. It bores me to sleep. A good war, sci-Fi, action, history/documentary or comedy are what I prefer to watch. I do not know how many others really hate watching sport on T.V. For me it is the commentators screaming and trying to get you excited about it all, or the endless boredom of the Tennis/car racing/ cricket, etc.

Wolfshade
02-08-2013, 04:50 PM
We traditionally play Rugby League (with touch footy for the girls).

I thought that was what league *was*.

Daemonette666
02-08-2013, 11:13 PM
You do not tackle people in Touch Footy. Just tap them and it is counted as the same thing. There is also another version I have heard of, or is that cricket, or base ball variation called Austag where they have a tag or rag hanging from the persons belt and you grab it to tackle or tag them. Touch used the rule for Rugby League in all other respects though.

Wolfshade
02-09-2013, 03:05 AM
Sorry I was being pejorative, I play Union you see.
We often start playing touch as a warm up and then it slowly evolves into full contact league and then union, or at least competing for the ball on the ground.

White Tiger88
02-09-2013, 03:21 AM
Football......how did this thread end up...?

Daemonette666
02-09-2013, 05:40 AM
It evolved. or devolved as most threads do, but at least this one has been civil and not ended up in name calling and abuse to each other.

Wildeybeast
02-09-2013, 06:40 AM
It evolved. or devolved as most threads do, but at least this one has been civil and not ended up in name calling and abuse to each other.

You're spending too much time in the rules forums. ;)

Wolfshade
02-09-2013, 04:41 PM

I'm sorry I shall endeavour to do better...

Phototoxin
02-09-2013, 06:48 PM
In Ireland it went the other way

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20651163

They tried to limit how often they fly the Union Flag, and rioting broke out for a few weeks

Tíocfaidh ar Lá =p

Psychosplodge
02-10-2013, 03:29 PM

There's time yet...