PDA

View Full Version : Battle Scribe; How do you feel?

pnkfld7892
02-05-2013, 10:07 PM
How do you fellow gamers feel about the Battlescribe app for iPhone/Pad and PC?

I personally like it although it is a little incomplete in the data repositories.

One other big plus for me is that it's free :P

Wolfshade
02-06-2013, 03:11 AM
Hello!

There has been some good discussions about it, and other alternatives below :)

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?25550-Best-iPhone-List-App
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?23035-Equivalent-of-Army-Builder
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?22122-Free-Army-List-Building-Software-BattleScribe
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?8571-BattleScribe-Roster-Editor

Learn2Eel
02-09-2013, 03:00 AM
Just thought I would add this; my friend uses it to write up all of his army lists, and aside from a few minor issues (mostly just down to the interface), it works a charm.

Kirsten
02-09-2013, 04:51 AM
I really like it personally, very simple to use. When I had it on my laptop it had some of the forge world lists too, I used it for my armoured company, but there doesn't seem to be a list for them now that I am using it on my tablet. Hopefully someone will make a new data file for the second edition IA1.

walrusman999
02-10-2013, 11:07 AM
I agree with Kirsten, the program is great, but there really should be a more streamlined way to add in additional units to the catalogs, and create more options for the parent/children style of organization. I personally tried to add in the Vulture from Imperial Armour Aeronautica and was having issues establishing how I could put the Punisher Gatling cannon into your organization because it replaces the two other selections of weapons so i couldn't set it up to have a minimum of 2 unless the punisher was selected (I ended up putting 1 in each division of weapon sponsons so you have to pick both of them to get the points and take up the weapon sponsons).

I don't quite understand why you cannot host them on the website. Or at the least if you have copies of them yourself provide them via Email to people who send you a message. I cant find the forgeworld lists anymore, I only have the latest catalogs for the standard 40k armies.

Wolfshade
02-10-2013, 05:24 PM
I don't quite understand why you cannot host them on the website. Or at the least if you have copies of them yourself provide them via Email to people who send you a message. I cant find the forgeworld lists anymore, I only have the latest catalogs for the standard 40k armies.

Because then you are no longer using the information for "personal use". You are quite welcome to reproduce the content of the book for your own use, like writting out your own lists or perhaps storing the information in a database for easy acess, but as soon as you share that with other people you are no longer using it for personal use and run up against copyright concerns.

walrusman999
02-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Because then you are no longer using the information for "personal use". You are quite welcome to reproduce the content of the book for your own use, like writting out your own lists or perhaps storing the information in a database for easy acess, but as soon as you share that with other people you are no longer using it for personal use and run up against copyright concerns.

I see, thanks for the clarification.

simiusmagnus
02-13-2013, 03:39 PM
I have to say, I'm a fan. Easier than punching everything into Excel and hoping you don't screw up the math.

Kirsten
02-13-2013, 04:35 PM
yeah I am on a tablet, so it seems I cannot create my own entries etc. (at least according to the website, it is PC only) would be much handier if I could add stuff myself, like the Minotaurs characters and shadow captain korvidae to the generic space marine list

walrusman999
02-13-2013, 04:38 PM
yeah I am on a tablet, so it seems I cannot create my own entries etc. (at least according to the website, it is PC only) would be much handier if I could add stuff myself, like the Minotaurs characters and shadow captain korvidae to the generic space marine list

It is much handier, I am adding forgeworld stuff in and other things to make a complete list for guardsman. This way I don't have to search everywhere to get it all in one place ;)

Kirsten
02-13-2013, 04:48 PM
yeah, I would change a few bits and pieces on existing lists too, there are a few things where you have to specify wargear even when there are default choices which I find odd. I get the little red exclamation mark telling me I haven't specified the munber of bolters in a squad...

Uncle Nutsy
02-13-2013, 09:42 PM
All these issues you guys are describing can easily be fixed by using the editor that's used to create the entries.

Kirsten
02-14-2013, 05:38 AM
that is the point, the website says that entries cannot be edited on the mobile version. If I could edit them, I would.

Mr Mystery
02-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Never really seen the appeal of list compilers.

Far happier with a pen and paper myself.

pnkfld7892
02-14-2013, 08:25 PM
that is the point, the website says that entries cannot be edited on the mobile version. If I could edit them, I would.

Yes, you cannot edit the entries from the mobile version. (Idk if mobile devices can edit java script and what not)

For that you have to use the PC version.

Uncle Nutsy
02-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Well, seeing as the mobile version is dependent on the same data files as the PC version, it's reasonable to assume you can upload them to the mobile yourself.

Kirsten
02-15-2013, 06:24 AM
if someone else makes the changes then I can dowload them, I don't have a pc to make any alterations to upload from.