PDA

View Full Version : Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials for GW Glazes

ElectricPaladin
02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm about to embark on the adventure that is using the new GW glazes over metals (the plan is actually to use this on the new Convergence of Cyriss faction for Warmachine, but it's a GW product so I'm putting the thread here). The idea is to use them to color metallic paints to give the impression of various metals, or at least that the steel has been glazed over or magically altered, but is still basically steel.

However, I can't be sure that the glaze will actually do this, or how it will work, because I've never used it before. I have a couple of minis that I'm going to test out various techniques with, but I'd also love to hear from the more experienced: how do you use these products? What can they do, and what can't they do? What are their strengths and weaknesses. Can you link to a good tutorial?

I'll have specific questions down the line, but in the meantime I'll leave it open to whatever you want to write. All information is helpful. Thanks in advance.

OrksOrksOrks
02-06-2013, 08:27 AM
I'm about to embark on the adventure that is using the new GW glazes over metals (the plan is actually to use this on the new Convergence of Cyriss faction for Warmachine, but it's a GW product so I'm putting the thread here). The idea is to use them to color metallic paints to give the impression of various metals, or at least that the steel has been glazed over or magically altered, but is still basically steel.

However, I can't be sure that the glaze will actually do this, or how it will work, because I've never used it before. I have a couple of minis that I'm going to test out various techniques with, but I'd also love to hear from the more experienced: how do you use these products? What can they do, and what can't they do? What are their strengths and weaknesses. Can you link to a good tutorial?

I'll have specific questions down the line, but in the meantime I'll leave it open to whatever you want to write. All information is helpful. Thanks in advance.

I don't have any tutorials, but I use them a lot to add contrast to shadows, and to bring out the colours more, glazes are for the patient, my advice would be:

1.) Don't have too much on your brush, gently wipe your brush on some kitchen roll until its pretty dry
2.) When you're doing your brush strokes, end them where you want the most colour, towards the shadow if you're adding contrast, for example
3.) Leave them to dry, after a few strokes in an area, you need to leave it to dry or you'll mess it up, if you go over a partially dry part, you'll remove the glaze that isn't get dry, leaving a tide mark, so be patient or blast it with your handy hairdryer, which every serious painter should have!
4.) Have fun and experiment, you can get some great effects from glazes, I like to use a green glaze on the heavy shadows of ruddy flesh, this increases the contrast (as, according to colour theory, reds and greens are contrasting) and looks great, I did it on my Nurgle lord and its a really well painted mini, if i do say so myself.