PDA

View Full Version : Grey knight tactics Agains Armd. Imps

Themaninthegreenhat
02-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Hi!

long time lurker first time penner.

Just a tad curious as to how i practically counter three russes, two chimeras, plenty of las cannons (about three HW crews) a Marbo imp. guard army.

I m'self (as the header so cleverly allures to) play a GK Coteaz hench/GK army. The cause i'm not pure hench is a tri-fecta of reasons.

A) i want to go pure GK but that's pretty unfluffy 'gainst everythin' but chaos
B) I got into GK just a year ago and i really like playing GK, but as using Hench's as i'm fresh from the oven and not very good.
C) Testing new ground.

I've got one psy dread, one GKT of ten, a GSS with psycannons, three rhinos and a chimera (thinking 'bout switchin' the rhino against a razorback but unsure of what to tag it with ).

And a bunch of WA, with bolters, about nine plasmas.

Playing on saturday against Imps and possibly Eldar allies (curseeeee you runes of matt warding!) but that's not really my problem. My problem is the IG as he's a damn good veteran and i'm a nub on the wall. I'm not asking for miracles, but i'd like to give as good as i take....or maybe slightly worse.

Thanks in advances BoLS'ers.

CyberianK
02-04-2013, 10:15 AM
I play guard and can understand your problem. I also use 3 LR like your opponent.
In my opinion the dread and light vehicles are very bad against guard.
When I am playing guard usually only Land Raiders keep standing light Armor 12 targets explode round 1-2.

What I am having lots of problems with though are deep striking Terminators.
They usually kill a LR on appearance because of low rear armor and then I have to concentrate on killing them before they can get into CC. And wiping those in one turn is not always that simple depending on terrain and army setup. Of course theres also those OP guard lists that also pack 10+ plasma to counter that. But if he is not this might be the way to go.
You say he fields LasCan Heavy Weapons. Standard Stormbolters should also be able to wipe those quite nicely when you deep strike behind their cover.

Themaninthegreenhat
02-05-2013, 01:47 AM
Hi!

thanks, that's some food for thought.

i usually go with more GSS than GKT, as i find them more versatile, but i have been struggling with keeping the lads alive regardless, and now that i have bolter WA that can socre/contest maytbe it would behoove me to add more GKT to the mix. The question is, how to kit them? it sems it might be good to give them incinerators, as i'm very fond of the thought of "Dropping in and cleaning the place out" But according to what i read, psycannons seem to be more versatile. I also seem to remember from somewhere that Terminators always get the "Heavy" firing option is this true (i'm veryyy new. asi said :) )

i'm also thinking of kitting my second 'HQ with a ordo xenos with a conversion beamer or a Orbital strike relay, to get some "long range firepowah up in this place" this would also open up some points usually reserved for my libby.

Thanks for the answer, any opinion on the above?

Nabterayl
02-05-2013, 09:24 AM
I also seem to remember from somewhere that Terminators always get the "Heavy" firing option is this true (i'm veryyy new. asi said :) )

Indeed they do. As your codex says (page 63), terminator armor confers the Relentless special rule. Jump over to the main rulebook for Relentless (page 41) and you'll see that Relentless means, among other things, that you can fire a Heavy weapon as if you were stationary, even if you moved. This makes psycannon more attractive to many people on terminators than on power armor.

Themaninthegreenhat
02-06-2013, 01:58 AM
i see

thnk you very much.

the game was changed to fifteen hundred GK vs 750+750 imps and orks. I'm breaking out my incinerators :)

Kyle Gaddy
04-08-2013, 02:08 AM
I drop a 10 man purifier squad with 4 incinerators out of my stormraven onto my opponents face turn 2. Roasted models are removed from play. Also, a vindicare assassin is really-really good at tank busting. Especially since his pistol has the same stats as the rifle...if you are in range, you can move and shoot. Good luck.

Wildcard
04-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Also, double Nemesis DreadKnights. Sword, teleporter + heavy incinerator combo are 260pts each (on small games one will usually suffice).

Having two will give them more protection and they work superbly together forcing enemy to divide their shots in trying to take both down before they get close.

With 5 attacks on charge each, auto penning russes, and re-rolling hits (+ its ap2 so its +1 on damage table) these are sure to cause trouble to any enemy tanks.
And that 12" movement + 12" torrent +~8" s6 ap4 template is good against anyone and in particular against 4+ save or worse that relies on cover (pathfinders/lootas,ig hwt teams etc trouble makers)

Magpie
04-10-2013, 12:24 AM
What I am having lots of problems with though are deep striking Terminators.
They usually kill a LR on appearance because of low rear armor and then I have to concentrate on killing them before they can get into CC.

This got me thinking.

Lehman Russ are in Squadrons aren't they?

That means that if you drop your Termies/Paladins BEHIND the last tank in the squadron then potentially you can eliminate all of them in one go. Each hit is resolved individually and once the closest is destroyed you move onto the next one and so on. The Psycannons will glance/pen on 3/4 (with Rending) and your Psybolted Storm Bolters on 5/6. Then charge with Hammerhand and you'll be glancing on 5's with most weapons and auto glance with any hammers you might have.

That should sort out 3 LR pretty sharpish ?