PDA

View Full Version : I need a stand for my new thunderhawk.

Havik110
02-03-2013, 10:46 PM
I have seen a stand before that was a circle base with 3 clear rods coming off of it and you could adust it in all sorts of ways. I dont know where it came from and the store that had a storm eagle on it closed up.

anyone have any idea?

If not how do you guys make a flying stand for a thunderhawk?

thanks

SonicPara
02-04-2013, 02:37 AM
This is the base Blue Table Painting made for my Thunderhawk when I had them do it. It may look precarious but it was always rock solid and had zero problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G31AMpmWdo

sangrail777
02-04-2013, 03:03 AM
There are no flight bases produced for the Thunderhawk. Everything I've seen are custom stands like what SonicPara showed (funny vid by the way). Does anyone have any actual instructions on how one of these stands have been made?

SonicPara
02-04-2013, 04:26 AM
You get a big nice wooden base from a craft store (i.e. Micheal's) and some real thick metal dowel. When purchasing the wooden base make sure that it is appropriately massive for the Thunderhawk. The base doesn't need to be just as long as the model but it should be suitably huge with a great weight to it to keep the model stable on the table.

Cut your dowel to your liking and drill appropriate sized holes in both the Thunderhawk and your wooden base (be sure to not drill completely through the wooden base). Test fit your dowel with both the model and the base. When you are happy with everything, use the strongest adhesive you can find to secure the dowel to the base; get some help from your local hardware store on which adhesive to purchase. Tell them you are gluing metal dowel to a wooden base and that it needs to support a great deal of weight. My go-to for large flyer bases (I didn't make the Thunderhawk base but I've made similarly massive flyers and flying bases) was an automotive epoxy.

Once you get your dowel coated in your adhesive and inserted into your base, make sure it is straight (brace if necessary) and leave it overnight. After half a day or so it should be cured enough to remove the brace but don't go testing the bond just yet. For added stability, use some more adhesive to fill up any gaps between the dowel and the hole in the base just to make sure it really is stuck in there. Leave it for a day again and you should be good to go. Adding some weight to the base via terrain, wreckage, and other characterful features is also a good call as it keeps the base heavy and rooted to the table during use.

If you are uneasy with having your Thunderhawk supported by a single dowel (I know I was at first) then using two dowels using the above process is perfectly fine but you have to be very precise with your measurements and lengths of your dowels in order to ensure the Thunderhawk sits evenly on the flying base.

Defenestratus
02-04-2013, 08:59 AM
You get a big nice wooden base from a craft store (i.e. Micheal's) and some real thick metal dowel. When purchasing the wooden base make sure that it is appropriately massive for the Thunderhawk. The base doesn't need to be just as long as the model but it should be suitably huge with a great weight to it to keep the model stable on the table.

Cut your dowel to your liking and drill appropriate sized holes in both the Thunderhawk and your wooden base (be sure to not drill completely through the wooden base). Test fit your dowel with both the model and the base. When you are happy with everything, use the strongest adhesive you can find to secure the dowel to the base; get some help from your local hardware store on which adhesive to purchase. Tell them you are gluing metal dowel to a wooden base and that it needs to support a great deal of weight. My go-to for large flyer bases (I didn't make the Thunderhawk base but I've made similarly massive flyers and flying bases) was an automotive epoxy.

Once you get your dowel coated in your adhesive and inserted into your base, make sure it is straight (brace if necessary) and leave it overnight. After half a day or so it should be cured enough to remove the brace but don't go testing the bond just yet. For added stability, use some more adhesive to fill up any gaps between the dowel and the hole in the base just to make sure it really is stuck in there. Leave it for a day again and you should be good to go. Adding some weight to the base via terrain, wreckage, and other characterful features is also a good call as it keeps the base heavy and rooted to the table during use.

If you are uneasy with having your Thunderhawk supported by a single dowel (I know I was at first) then using two dowels using the above process is perfectly fine but you have to be very precise with your measurements and lengths of your dowels in order to ensure the Thunderhawk sits evenly on the flying base.

Here's the new base I made for my Vampire which should work for your thunderhawk. The vampire is hoisted 24" in the air on a 1" diameter acrylic rod secured with the mother of all rare earth magnets.

Upside down 14" wooden platter from Hobby Lobby:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HtePUELKfk4/T-sBiAubMpI/AAAAAAAAWaI/jPauqi1rNwM/s912/IMG_20120627_082242.jpg

Cut a template:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sqo9kFuGTuw/T_WCZQqCrJI/AAAAAAAAW0I/C1qt77hwz8s/s912/IMG_20120704_141002.jpg

Cut out your oval from a 16" square slate tile with an angle grinder:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-c_YFYpu9U7c/T_WCZX2kALI/AAAAAAAAW0I/wTxo-SkP5Wc/s640/IMG_20120705_074348.jpg

I then painted it black then drybrushed the hell out of it with different shades of grey. Add vehicle wrecks, building debris, dead bodies to taste.

Havik110
02-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Here's the new base I made for my Vampire which should work for your thunderhawk. The vampire is hoisted 24" in the air on a 1" diameter acrylic rod secured with the mother of all rare earth magnets.

Question, are you epoxying the magnet to the vampire? how are you securing it?
I really didnt want to have a magnet showing on the paint job my buddy did for me (hes not a pro but it was my wedding present and I love how it turned out)

Defenestratus
02-04-2013, 03:32 PM
I bored out a 1" hole in the bottom of the fuselage and then epoxied the MOAREM (Mother of All Rare Earth Magnets) in the ceiling of the interior. The vampire slides on the rod and the magnets (One embedded in the end of the rod) click inside of the fuselage.