PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves in 6th: Mech or Wolf Guard Squad Leader?

Scorch
02-03-2013, 09:15 AM
I know this has been talked about before, but after a recent tournament, I'm reconsidering the way I've been playing my Grey Hunters.

At the start of 6th edition (And still now actually...), people moaned on about hull points. My thoughts on them are that they aren't too bad though... I prefer it that there is now a more reliable means of destroying vehicles, as in 5th edition, I would find myself getting hit after hit, but never doing anything on the damage table!
In the case of a Rhino, I think 3 is quite reasonable.

So this leads me onto the question, how do you field Grey Hunter Packs these days?
I have always fielded mine in 10s, making use of the extra weapon. And up till now, had a Wolf Guard Terminator leading them, unupgraded. In theory, I love it! The image of a terminator soaking up the bullets as they charge in to battle is brilliant! But in game... I just fail my first armour save...
Now I am considering returning to the humble rhino for my Grey Hunter Packs.

Thoughts?

TL:DR, WG Terminators leading Grey Hunter units? Or Rhinos to put the GH in?

Thanks

glottis
02-04-2013, 03:07 AM
Don't forget that Wolf Guard are characters, and can therefore do Look Out, Sir on a 4+...

spaceman91
02-04-2013, 03:24 AM
Wolf guard all the way. Mine just run round with a frost blades ( sword ). Cheap and yet effective.

pauljc
02-04-2013, 06:59 AM
I field up to 3 full squads of Grey Hunters. My 1500 pts list is drop-pod assault, and fun and fluffy.
2 of the GH squads are in pods, the third is in a Rhino and their job is to provide backline defense. Which GH do very well.
1 of the pod squads is flamer equipped (2 free flamers) and they support a pod-Nought with heavy flamers. Works great against Orks.
The final GH squad is melta-equipped, in a pod, and their job is to get in and start popping vehicles. Especially with the new 6th Ed rules on those big blasts, getting in real close to enemy tanks can be a real threat. Because any slight deviation could mean a full-strength hit on the vehicle being attacked.

xxedge72x
02-05-2013, 10:11 PM
I believe in mobility so I'd go with the Rhino over the TDA WGPL. That said, I'm still taking the WGPL since I prefer to use combi-flamers over plasma/melta.

TDA is great in drop pods though. Mobility often wins games.

Xenith
02-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Don't forget that Wolf Guard are characters, and can therefore do Look Out, Sir on a 4+...

But LO,S!-ing the wounds away makes taking a WG Termie to soak up the bullets redundant.

Scorch
02-07-2013, 03:53 PM
I normally have one drop pod in my army, just because it will definitely arrive turn one. I rely take more reserves, as I seem to have the worst luck ever in that respect, more games the I dare to count have had my units staying off till about turn 4/5 :S
And Xenith, yeah, I was thinking that...

glottis
02-08-2013, 02:42 AM
But LO,S!-ing the wounds away makes taking a WG Termie to soak up the bullets redundant.

I know why you say this, but what I usually do is LO,S! any AP2 or better wounds (better to let a hunter die to a plasma blast so the termie can continue to shrug off bolter fire), and let anything else bounce off his 2-up save (5/6 times).

I haven't done the maths but that seems like the best way to keep the most models alive longest, under sustained fire from different types of weapons.