PDA

View Full Version : Night Scythe/Doom Scythe kits

pnkfld7892
02-02-2013, 09:48 AM
I just won 2 NS/DS kits on eBay, would it be best to use these as night scythes, doom scythes or one of each? I also have a few magnets laying around, would magnetizing be a good idea?

Mr Mystery
02-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Magnetising is a good plan.

If memory serves, the variants share no common parts, and require a single point of potential magnetisation.

Though overall, as potentially saucy as the Deathray is, I get just as much bang from the Nightscythes, and there's lots to be said for being able to vacuum up your squads out of harms way!

Ketharim
02-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Donīt bother yourself with thinking about this ;) The good thing about these kits is, you do not have to magnetize anything, as the parts fit that good together its just plugging the portal or the Deathray in. I have four Flyers right now, each of them able to be played either as Night or Doom Scythe and not a single magnet in sight :) So simply glue the weapon and the portal together paint everything and decide freely each time if you wanna plax them as Doom or Night Scythe.

Anyway I am running just 1 Doom Scythe most of the time, as the Night Scythes combined with Immortal or Warrior units already provide enough anti tank fire. Just have it around as a bit of distraction, as everybody aims anti air on them first, when they hear about the Death Ray ;)

boestera
02-02-2013, 01:15 PM
I answered a post just like this on another forum a month ago with pictures. I don't have the pictures with me ATM, so I'll just link you to that post.
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/necrons/227106-doom-scythe-night-scythe-what-one-make.html

pnkfld7892
02-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys, it's good to know that i won't be dealing with more magnetizing...did that with my ghost ark and while it is cool it was kind of a pain to do right. Now how does the death ray work? The codex says pick a point within 12" roll your dice, that's how far the straight line goes. How thick is the line supposed to be so the right amount of models will be hit by it?

lobster-overlord
02-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Most times when a line is called for, you can determine it by using a tape measurer on its side, so it has almost no width. Technically a line is just the physical connection between two points with no dimension other than length. The side of the tape does this very well.

pick a spot at the barrel of the weapon, then hold the tape connecting that point and the chosen point on the board. That's your line. Now if you created a "beam" that was the exact width of the bore of the weapon being used, then I don't think anyone would complain if that gave you a little extra width since it more accurately represents the weapon being used. Kinda like a pseudo-template.

John M.