PDA

View Full Version : Can you share a drop pod?

Pendragon38
01-31-2013, 07:54 AM
Ok here's my problem. If you take a drop pod with a 5 man squad of stern guard, then you take a 10 man squad and combat squad them can half of them go in said drop pod with the stern guard?

Mr Mystery
01-31-2013, 08:34 AM
Nope.

Drop Pods are dedicated transports.

Dedicated transports can carry any given unit, but may only be deployed carrying the parent unit. Furthermore, unless a specific rules says so, it's one unit to a transport.

Also worth noting you can't blind fire Drop Pods. They have to contain the unit bought with them. And for combat squadding, that means all 10 inside, as you split on deployment if you wish.

Hope this clears it up :)

Wolfshade
01-31-2013, 08:46 AM
You can, however, drop a 10 man squad in and then combat squad them as they deploy out of the vehicle

Pendragon38
01-31-2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the input, I thought so put it seem like a waste of space for a five man squad of stern that couldn't share there drop pod.

Wolfshade
01-31-2013, 08:54 AM
You could always put an IC with the Sternguard

Nabterayl
01-31-2013, 08:59 AM
You can, however, drop a 10 man squad in and then combat squad them as they deploy out of the vehicle
Not anymore, actually. That was the 5th edition approach. In 6th edition, you combat squad them, put both combat squads in the pod or other transport (not normally allowed, but specifically allowed by Combat Squads so long as both combat squads come from the same unit), and then fire away.

Also, not sure which codex you're referring to, Mystery, but the space marine FAQ still permits empty drop pods.

Wolfshade
01-31-2013, 09:30 AM
Ah I see, I knew you could still do it, but didn't realise that the timings of it had changed.

Edit:
I think that this makes sense as otherwise upon seeing the enemy/mission you could choose to combat squad or not to your advantage

Mr Mystery
01-31-2013, 03:16 PM
Not anymore, actually. That was the 5th edition approach. In 6th edition, you combat squad them, put both combat squads in the pod or other transport (not normally allowed, but specifically allowed by Combat Squads so long as both combat squads come from the same unit), and then fire away.

Also, not sure which codex you're referring to, Mystery, but the space marine FAQ still permits empty drop pods.

I thought it didn't?

Hold on, might have been Dark Angels *grabs book* nope seems you're quite right. Horus Heresy perhaps? There we go.. 'Units who have purchased drop pods as transports must be deployed in them' Kind of assumed that was universal

Apologies gents, appears I stand corrected!

DarkLink
01-31-2013, 06:22 PM

In fact, they updated the Combat Squad rules so that you can do this with all vehicles. It's awesome.

Pendragon38
01-31-2013, 10:05 PM
So only a land raider will let you piggyback 2 deferent 5 man squads in it.

Nabterayl
01-31-2013, 10:12 PM
No transport, except for a super-heavy transport, lets you embark more than one unit, except for two combat squads that came from the same original squad - and then they can embark on any transport with the capacity for it.

DarkLink
01-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Right. You cannot have two separate units inside the same transport, regardless of transport capacity. There are two specific exceptions:

1. Independent Characters may join a unit in a transport.

2. Two halves of the same unit that are Combat Squad'ed may be in the same transport. Combat Squads originating from different units may not be in the same transport.

Kawauso
01-31-2013, 10:47 PM
Only mildly relevant, but don't forget there's another exception to multiple units in a transport:
Stormravens can transport one infantry unit and one dreadnought.

Utilizing combat squads you could make it like it's transporting three units, though. That's pretty cool.

Wolfshade
02-01-2013, 03:04 AM
In fact, they updated the Combat Squad rules so that you can do this with all vehicles. It's awesome.

OOhh! How did I miss this.

"The possiblities are endless"

Pendragon38
02-01-2013, 05:43 PM
I went threw the codex and found nothing on the land raider other than it can carry 10 marines or 5 tremis that's it nothing in the FAQ either.

Pendragon38
02-01-2013, 05:45 PM
I went through the codex and found nothing on the land raider other than it can carry 10 marines or 5 tremis that's it nothing in the FAQ either.

Nabterayl
02-01-2013, 05:52 PM
You're looking in the wrong place. The basic rule of one unit per transport is found in the main rulebook, under the transports section.

EDIT: Page 78 says,

A Transport can carry a single Infantry unit and/or any number of Independent Characters (as long as they are also Infantry), up to a total number of models equal to the vehicle's Transport
Capacity. The entire unit must be embarked on the Transport if any part of it is - a unit cannot be partially embarked or be spread across multiple Transports.

Pendragon38
02-01-2013, 06:09 PM
You're looking in the wrong place. The basic rule of one unit per transport is found in the main rulebook, under the transports section.
Thanks for the that bit of input, so if I see it happen again I can call BS on that. And damn I double posted I thinks it's time for a Pint.